Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 7,693 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 and having a full blown quarter-life crisis. I need to get out of my current situation and start fresh asap so I am searching around for a cool new city to move to. I've heard great things about Portland but I have no idea what the job market is like...

I'm looking for something related to environmental conservation or possibly childcare. I have my B.S. in Geology and I'll have 1 year of grad school under my belt when I move. Will I be able to find work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 11:44 AM

351 posts, read 538,125 times
As far as I am aware, anyone moving to Portland without a job lined up is taking a BIG risk. On the other hand, if you are able to cope with living a job-less lifestyle for a few months, or many months, you may be fine and dandy.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:44 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
So what are you going to do about the graduate program? Can you stay on track? With only a BS you will be stymied.

CH2M-Hill is headquartered in Portland but has positions around the world. It is tough to get a job with them and many are project focused but they may be an employer worth your contacting. You do know that there are two highly regarded geology programs in the west, one in Colorado. You will be competing against their grads with Master's degrees.

Unfortunately positions in your field are not many but go for INTERNSHIPS (you need to be still working for your degree to qualify in most cases) anywhere. You can still work your way to Portland, and Oregon, but in all honesty the opportunities will be better in states with an energy industry.

My BIL was a geologist with USGS for many years. When oil gave out in Wyoming the joke around the intermountain west: How do you find a geologist? "Waiter!"

Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
You seem very vague about your future career plans. Do you have the name of five companies you'd like to work for? Until you can decide what you actually want to do and are prepared to go for it, I wouldn't move.

There are jobs out there but you have to know what kind of work you want to do and what kind of companies you want to work for. And if you figure that out, you may find you don't need to move.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
One route to go is to have enough money saved to live on for six months to a year if you don't have a job lined up before you move here. Once here, sign up at temp agencies. They seem to be able to place people in temp jobs that often lead to permanent ones.

Be flexible. Take whatever you can get. You won't get much money but with your savings, you could do okay.

Hopefully, this will lead to work you would like to do or would at least eventually support you and include benefits.

It isn't easy but there are those who have done it. You have to be very determined and want the move very badly.

The important thing is to have a plan.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,518 times
Having been through a quarter-life crisis, a third-life crisis, and a mid-life crisis, I can sympathize with you. I have no idea about the particulars of your crisis, but if it's just the "I'm 22 years old, my life's going nowhere, and I need a change!" variety, my advice is not to do anything rash. If you love geology, and you still want to get into the field, and you intend to finish your Master's degree "someday," then trust me: it's much easier to finish it now. Other things in your life will tend to get in your way, you'll forget stuff, you may need to re-take classes, and many employers will question why you dropped out of grad school. "I had a quarter-life crisis" doesn't play well during a job interview, when you're competing with bright, motivated people who went straight through the program.

If, however, after long, careful consideration, you've decided that the geology field isn't for you, then you're going to having to figure out what to do next with your life. Sometimes a move to a new place is just the thing, especially if you've lived in the same place all your life, and especially if you don't like it there. But as the saying goes, "No matter where you go, there you are," and whatever unresolved personal issues you have will follow you to Portland, too.

My younger stepson is interested in environmental conservation, so we've looked into it. There are plenty of organizations here that would be glad to take you as a volunteer, but if you're looking for paid work, you're going to need a degree in Environmental Science, or something similar. Since you already have a BS in Geology, I'd look into a Master's program. I think Portland State University has a program, but do some research and see what the best college would be for you.

If you're not yet sure what you want to do with your life, you're still young, and you have some time to figure it out. As other have said, unemployment is high here, and Portland's reputation and lifestyle draw plenty of young people with limited marketable skills. You'll probably be able to find a minimum-wage job in fast food, retail, and so on, but surviving on minimum wage is tough. If you don't have a few months' worth of living-expense money saved up, I'd do that first, if possible.

Also, it's advisable to come for a visit first, because Portland may or may not be for you. The toughest thing for most people is the gray skies, frequent rain, and short days during winter. If you can take the weather (some of us have even learned to actively like it), and you like the vibe here, then Portland might be a good fit. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Entry level for a geology job in Portland is a Master's - and you'll still have a ton of competition. The ratio of geology jobs to geology graduates is a very sad number (not just in Portland).

Portland State has a good Master's program with several interesting specialties.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:29 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
+5

Old 10-24-2011, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,693 times
Thanks to everyone for the advice! I'll definitely plan a trip out to Portland first to ensure that I like it and can handle the weather situation.

I realize that staying to finish my masters make the most logical sense (since it's pretty much required now for a decent job). But I don't want to work for a big oil&gas company, and from what I've found over the past few years job and internship wise, that's all there is anymore.

I may sound naive and slightly hippy-ish but I don't want to help exploit the Earth, I want to use my knowledge of geology to help preserve the few 'natural' environments we have left... I'll look into M.S. programs in Environmental Science, anyone know how the teaching job market is there??

Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
There aren't really any oil, gas or mining jobs in Portland (okay, there might be something at the Mist Gas Field or pipeline work) - most of them are somewhere in the environmental, remediation, hydrology, riparian/wetlands and environment hazards (landslides, debris flows, flooding, tsunamis, volcanoes) areas. Many of the jobs are state- or Federal-related or private companies contracting with the Feds.

If you are still in the first year of a Master's, it's still possible to transfer - but the further you get, the harder that is.

Generally to teach at the high school level and up, candidates are at the PhD level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: