Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 PM

17 posts, read 50,525 times

Advertisements

How diverse is Portland? From what I've heard Portland is all pretty much whites, but is there areas where its mostly African Americans or Asians? Like what areas have what kind of person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:46 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Portland is about 75% white according to the last statistics I saw, but that has been changing fast. That also includes many eastern europeans and others who are culturally different but happen to be white.

When I first moved here (1999) from San Fran it was actually pretty shocking coming from a place that was beyond diverse. It has GREATLY changed since then and gotten a LOT more diverse. I don't even know what the true statistics are since only people who are here with proper documentation are counted.

AA's have historically been located in the N and parts of the NE areas of Portland but with those areas becoming more popular and trendy, apparently a shift is changing to some of the outer SE areas due to rent increases.

Asians are more spread out but I think parts of SE and outer SE have the largest groups as well as parts of NE. I think the highest number of Asians would be in Beaverton or other parts of Washington County, or in the Happy Valley area of Clackamas County.

The fastest growing group (in terms of diversity) would be Latinos.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:01 PM

17 posts, read 50,525 times
Thank you for the information

Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 AM

147 posts, read 578,114 times
a little more details on asians.

There are a lot of Chinese businesses around 82nd and Powell/Division. This is outer SE.
There are Japanese and Korean businesses in Beaverton around 217 and TV highway.
There are a lot of Vietnamese descents in Portland and they are pretty spread out, mostly in East Portland and Beaverton.
Many Asian and Indians works for the high tech sector and lives in Bethany area north of highway 26. Many also lives in the East part of Hillsboro near the high tech campuses.
There are a lot of Latinos in West Hillsboro. Many good restaurants and little businesses.

don't know much about happy valley.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:28 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
New York tends to be a very segregated city ( everyone lives w/ more or less his own kind, unlike London where people mix). How about Portland ? Is that the same way?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:12 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Yes, and no. I think it's less segregated (with the exception of African Americans) than San Francisco and other larger cities, but since Portland statistically is fairly new to diversity on a large scale only time will tell.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:57 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
Doesn't Portland have a tiny percentage of black people? Nearly all are located in the NoPo region by Cascade.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
My recollection is North and Northeast, Albina, Alberta, etc. But also interspersed throughout the city.

Also when I lived there (early 80s), alot of the Asian population was in downtown area. Have they been displaced? There were wonderful asian restaurants. I took Mandarin for a year in what looked like a warehouse building. Such exciting times back then for a young college person!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:27 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
My recollection is North and Northeast, Albina, Alberta, etc. But also interspersed throughout the city.

Also when I lived there (early 80s), alot of the Asian population was in downtown area. Have they been displaced? There were wonderful asian restaurants. I took Mandarin for a year in what looked like a warehouse building. Such exciting times back then for a young college person!

Are you living in Texas now? If so, where? If I move to Portland N/NE will be my home for sure. Based on my own research and the wonderful help I got here that seems to be my kind of area. I like a community that's diverse and would have no problem living in an Asian area. I enjoy exploring different cusines and I'm hopelessly addicted to THAI...LOL

I want a Greenwhich Village type community! Ever see the movie FAME?
That's my type of neighborhood. People living within their means, lots of cheap alternatives and a community where you can be yourself without feeling ostrasized.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:47 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Yes, I live in the Panhandle area of Texas. Is damn hot down here, not wet and rainy like Portland! Could use a little rain here....

What is called N/NE Portland is not downtown. OldTown is right downtown and I assume still heavily asian. I am a safety gal, so would not be my thing. But there is an area further past the usual "Pearl District", that is considered NW, not sure what it is called. But I like to go over there to a little health food store and some cute shops, maybe Thornton St area? Streets there are alphabetized. Also is near Good Sam Hospital (about the L street?). And is getting toward an industrial part of town, St. Johns (?). A friend of mine has a business over that way, toward Sauvie Island.

Be warned there are some really NICE neighborhoods in that area, with very expensive houses. One thing about Portland neighborhoods is they are "spotty", upscale mixed with dilapidated, not that uncommon in parts. Close in NE would be Concordia, which is Alberta area. Again, for me, not a safe place, but it is hip and funky area. I lived further out NE in Hollywood district but that is strictly neighborhood (nice ones).

There is a neighborhood which has not been mentioned, and that is Corbett (downtown south). My sister lived there for a year, didn't like it because it was so bohemian to her. Is kind of difficult to get to, but think there is an exit off I-5 for that and John's Landing shops. It is REALLY eclectic, you might check it out as well. We used to frequently walk from there to downtown, about 20 minute walk only. You can find it on [urlmoderator cut[/url]

Last edited by Waterlily; 08-27-2007 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: no realtor ads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland