Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM

908 posts, read 1,661,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imphouse View Post
So do you all just throw your dead batteries in the trash then?? I've always been told not to do that (I lived in Austin for 8 years, then the LA area for 7). In Southern California, they had battery recycling at all the local libraries and government facilities. It does seem weird that it's apparently not addressed very well here?
NO. I for one, don't ever dump ANY batteries in the garbage.

I personally keep a large coffee can for just old used batteries. When it is full, I can then take it to one of the local schools when they have a free recycling event. Those are usually announced, I think in Metro's recycling newsletter which is sent to everyone in town every so often.

Other than that, we can take them to the Metro recycling dropoff site ourselves, or lookup an outfit that recycles them. Did you miss the link to Metro Recycling that someone posted earlier on this thread??? well here's one loud and clear--- you can find plenty of info on Metro's site:

CLICK HERE>>> Metro: What is hazardous?

CLICK HERE>>>http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=760

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 12:27 AM

31 posts, read 74,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
NO. I for one, don't ever dump ANY batteries in the garbage.

I personally keep a large coffee can for just old used batteries. When it is full, I can then take it to one of the local schools when they have a free recycling event. Those are usually announced, I think in Metro's recycling newsletter which is sent to everyone in town every so often.

Other than that, we can take them to the Metro recycling dropoff site ourselves, or lookup an outfit that recycles them. Did you miss the link to Metro Recycling that someone posted earlier on this thread??? well here's one loud and clear--- you can find plenty of info on Metro's site:

CLICK HERE>>> Metro: What is hazardous?

CLICK HERE>>>Metro: Neighborhood collection events

Saw it. Just thought it was weird that most people replying in this thread apparently just dump their batteries in their normal trash!

Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imphouse View Post
Saw it. Just thought it was weird that most people replying in this thread apparently just dump their batteries in their normal trash!
2 people aren't "most."

Old 11-16-2011, 04:42 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Make it three.
In my house, Alkaline batteries go into the household trash.
They are classified as non hazardous waste, and contain no mercury.
Rechargable batteries get recycled when I go to the metro transfer station.
To the poster that puts all her batteries in a coffee can, that is dangerous.
It could cause a fire and when batteries get hot they explode.
Be Careful!

From the duracell website:
Quote:
It is important not to dispose of large amounts of alkaline batteries in a group. Used batteries are often not completely "dead." Grouping used batteries together can bring these "live" batteries into contact with one another, creating safety risks.

Proven cost-effective and environmentally safe recycling processes are not yet universally available for alkaline batteries. Some communities offer recycling or collection of alkaline batteries—contact your local government for disposal practices in your area.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:30 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Everything doesn't need to be hazardous to be recycled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: