Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:04 AM

11 posts, read 33,783 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about the music scene in Portland, where I'm moving to in November. I'm an acoustic guitarist, and my hope is to be able to play in various clubs and restaurants. But I only play music that's at least 20 years old, in the soul, jazz, funk, and bossa genres, and I know most people these days would rather hear more recent music.

Does anyone who lives in Portland know of any places where people might be receptive to acoustic covers of artists like Stevie Wonder, George Benson, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Carole King, Steely Dan, Sinatra, Gaye, etc? I'm not talking about your typical acoustic player who fingerpicks snoozer folk songs and sings without passion. I strum and sing very soulfully and energetically (and often romantically), with my biggest worry being that I might fall off the stool from playing so passionately, or maybe even die someday!

But I've found that people in Dayton, OH don't care about the level of intensity; they only want to hear familiar "classic rock" singalongs that go well with alcohol. I've always humorously referred to this city as a "Skynyrd and Budweiser" town. The conversations can often be about Bud vs. Bud Light; in other words, the people aren't very sophisticated and they don't care about or want that quality in live music. If I play "Freebird" they'll be in love with me; if I play "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life", they'll scratch their heads in puzzled silence.

A musician like me does not fit in here, essentially because I'm a white guy who doesn't play white music; I play black music, and while they can accept that sometimes, they seem to think that only a black person can play it. So after my gigs, I hear comments from drunk people like "You should play rock, man! Nobody wants to hear Stevie Wonder!" And people are always asking me if I know so-and-so song by some contemporary group I've never heard of, because I don't listen to modern music. It's like you can't be your true self here, musically...you have to be a jukebox and play only songs that people know, and play them exactly like the originals. There's no room for creativity, artistry, improv, or soulfulness.

Portland, I know, is mostly white, which gives me some concern that I might encounter the same thing there. But I'm hoping the people are generally more sophisticated and openminded, and can appreciate quality music and passion without worrying about whether they know every song, and whether it's "white" or "black" music, and how old it is.

This post is poorly written because it's a difficult concept to put into words, but I hope I got what I'm trying to ask across. Any opinions are welcome.

Last edited by ScottP; 08-26-2007 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 09:32 AM

550 posts, read 3,266,490 times
You're moving to the right place. Portlanders tend to be very appreciative of talented, spirited, and well-played music. Regardless of the musician's appearance. There will be some dives around town that are your typical "Skynard and Bud" types, but there are also some very cool hole-in-the-wall places that serve some of the best microwbrews in the state. Google the McMenamin Brothers and you'll find some great venues. (The White Eagle is one of my personal favorites...you can always find a good band there.)

I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the Willamette Week newspaper (they have an online edition) for not only their nightlife section, but also for their want ads. They have an entire section for musicians.

The Portland music scene really is unique. I've have several friends who play drastically different genres and they're ALL busy with gigs. From rockabilly, metal, to adult contemporary...they're all able to find enthusiastic and appreciative audiences.

If you can't find the places I've mentioned, PM me and I'll give you the links. I tend to get nailed by the mods for putting too many links in my posts or told that I'm "advertising".

Last edited by diggitydot; 08-26-2007 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Wonky apostrophe...

Old 08-26-2007, 10:37 AM

That's the best news I've heard in a long time, with the exceptions of Paris Hilton spending time in jail and Nike axing Ron Mexico. If Portland is a city with soul, then I shouldn't have any problem playing music there.

Before anyone slams me, I should clarify that I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Bud or Skynyrd or rock or modern music. It's just that when you're a "jazz snob", which I reluctantly admit I am, you tend to satirize music that's less sophisticated. But from what you say, Portlanders are generally accepting of all types of music, perhaps moreso than other cities, which is what I was hoping for. I will add, however, that I sure hope the rap culture is not very big there. I would rather be among and play with people who mock rap's superficiality than those who think it's awesome.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:04 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,605 times
Portland has a strong independent music scene. You should fit in very well. If anything you'll bring a sense of culture to the community but I can tell you that there are many "caucasian's" that love Jazz and funk. Nearly all I know prefer Jazz over rock. Everyone has their own tastes. Just play what you like and others will follow.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:56 AM

30 posts, read 86,156 times
Hello ScottP.

Portland's strong independent music scene is one of the many reasons I'm moving there next month.

I had to laugh knowingly when you mentioned "Skynyrd and Budweiser" music. I, too, am a performing musician, or at least I was until the last three years in the Poconos in Pennsylvania sucked some of the creative life out of me. The last time I tried to get a gig, I was told, "folks here only like songs they know, party music, and classic rock." I informed the owner that my repertoire was eclectic. He then asked for a definition of both repertoire AND eclectic. That was the last straw.

I didn't have problems finding gigs in Portland, Maine, so I expect it'll be easier for the likes of us in Portland, Oregon. If you book a gig there, please send me a message, because I would LOVE to hear some Stevie Wonder. I'm not a jazz musician myself, but as I mature as a musician, I grow increasingly respectful and appreciative of the genre. (I gig as a folk/pop/indie artist, but my piano training is all classical.)

Good luck with your musical endeavors, and please, do keep me posted.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:00 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triana View Post
Hello ScottP.

Portland's strong independent music scene is one of the many reasons I'm moving there next month.

I had to laugh knowingly when you mentioned "Skynyrd and Budweiser" music. I, too, am a performing musician, or at least I was until the last three years in the Poconos in Pennsylvania sucked some of the creative life out of me. The last time I tried to get a gig, I was told, "folks here only like songs they know, party music, and classic rock." I informed the owner that my repertoire was eclectic. He then asked for a definition of both repertoire AND eclectic. That was the last straw.

I didn't have problems finding gigs in Portland, Maine, so I expect it'll be easier for the likes of us in Portland, Oregon. If you book a gig there, please send me a message, because I would LOVE to hear some Stevie Wonder. I'm not a jazz musician myself, but as I mature as a musician, I grow increasingly respectful and appreciative of the genre. (I gig as a folk/pop/indie artist, but my piano training is all classical.)

Good luck with your musical endeavors, and please, do keep me posted.
Who are some of your inspirations? What bands/people do you enjoy listening to?

Old 08-27-2007, 12:09 PM

I like everything from Schubert and Chopin to Elliott Smith and Aimee Mann. I'm also discovering several francophone singer-songwriters and latin jazz singers. I could post paragraph upon paragraph, but I have a student arriving shortly. Briefly, I guess I sound a bit like Paula Cole meets Tori Amos with a longing to add a touch of Tool or Porcupine Tree, but with just me and one instrument, it's hard to get that harder rock edge.

Joni Mitchell, Led Zeppelin, Rachel Yamagata, Cesaria Evora, Beethoven, Missy Higgins, Eva Cassidy, The Beatles...the list goes on and on.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:35 PM

I'm glad to see all these positive replies, including your PM diggetydot. However, after further thought, I'm probably gonna have a rough time ANYWHERE being a white guy playing soul covers on acoustic guitar, lol! Thanks to shows like American Idol, I've been saddled with having to overcome the stereotypical 'blue-eyed soul' perception that many people have. I've noticed that whites who try to sing soul music on that show have no clue; they just try to imitate Mariah Carey's spastic gesticulations and melodramatic vocal gymnastics which are out of sync emotionally with the lyrics, lol. I'd better be darn good if I'm gonna get past the damage they've done to the general perception of white soul singers. But hey, it's a challenge for me that I hope to rise to!

Triana your influences are wide and sophisticated, and I'd like to hear you play as well. Latin jazz singers: mmmm, as Homer Simpson would say about a delicious donut. Hopefully we chose to the right city to express ourselves musically in. I guess we'll find out in a few months.

If people laugh at me trying to play Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye, I suppose I could turn my act into a comedy act, lol. I could do some Frank Zappa; Oregonians would appreciate his satirical style of humor and distaste for big business. If that doesn't work either, I'll just lead singalongs of Freebird all night: "Lord knows, I cain't change." Or maybe the other drunk singalong, Take It Easy: "It's a girl my Lord, in a flatbed Ford..." I guess if you mention the Lord in an upbeat song and sing it in a southern accent, it becomes a bar classic.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:40 PM

"I guess if you mention the Lord in an upbeat song and sing it in a southern accent, it becomes a bar classic."

Yep. I believe that's the formula. ;-) And the mention of a Chevy or a Ford doesn't hurt either.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 PM

Don Mclean mentioned both the Lord and a Chevy in American Pie, and it became the most classic singalong of all time. Oddly enough, he accomplished it without a southern accent. I think that's because he also included "whiskey and rye". So you've got the Lord, cars, and booze, and that was good enough to do the trick I guess. I have tried to emulate the formula myself, but don't have enough interest in those things to write anything meaningful. I think you have to live Glenn Frey's lifestyle to be able to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland