Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,245 times

Advertisements

We're going to be leaving Cleveland, Ohio on November 16th, and will need to drive to Portland, Oregon. I'm worried about the best way to go. I've heard horror stories about driving across the Rocky Mountains (I-80 and I-70). I was thinking of going down to I-40, taking that across the southwest, then taking I-5 up to Portland. This adds an extra day onto the trip at least. What thoughts/experience do others have with driving on these interstates in middle of November? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 04:50 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmj0718 View Post
We're going to be leaving Cleveland, Ohio on November 16th, and will need to drive to Portland, Oregon. I'm worried about the best way to go. I've heard horror stories about driving across the Rocky Mountains (I-80 and I-70). I was thinking of going down to I-40, taking that across the southwest, then taking I-5 up to Portland. This adds an extra day onto the trip at least. What thoughts/experience do others have with driving on these interstates in middle of November? Thank you.
I moved to SW Missouri years ago...not sure exactly the route but going straight across Kansas was a breeze because its mostly straight across. The roads were not the best though, part of the way it rained and the water collected in the rivets and looked like a hydroplaning paradise but we did ok...just went a little slower. We actually were driving from Pendleton, OR (NE Oregon) and went through Idaho to Wyoming and cut through the NE Corner of Colorado then through KS. There were some steep spots and I cant remember if it was Wyoming or Colorado but the hwy wrapped around mountains but the road was fairly wide.

I will be watching your post because I am interested in knowing alternative routes because I may move up to the Oregon coast before I end up in Alaska. No doubt there will be snow on your trip if you go that way. Good Luck!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
The OP will be driving on the cusp of snow season. The safest (from a weather standpoint) route would be to drive the southern route to around LA then head north up I-5. As someone else mentioned on this forum there are stretches of the northern route without cell phone service, long distances between gas stations.

Cleveland residents have lots of experience with driving in snow conditions but not in mountains. Take an extra day or two, take the southern route. One nasty storm going through the mountains will set you back at least that much.

FYI, I was on I-80 about 6 weeks ago and encountered thunderstorms and the lack of motorist services.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:16 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
I would go this route. Take an extra day and visit Disneyland while it's all gussied up for Christmas.

I-80 going through the Rockies is a major route, but if there is any snow storm coming in, it'll be closed for a day. Maybe longer as the plows try to open it up. If you do go I-80, take I-84 north from Salt Lake.

Where you're going to get in trouble is if you try to continue along I-80 and cut through Northern Nevada and South Eastern Oregon along Highway 95 from Winnemucca. I mention this as Google occasionally tries to route people through here even though it's about 100 miles further.

395 out of Reno is marginally better then 95, but still not a route I'd recommend in the winter.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 AM

145 posts, read 265,111 times
I am curious too. I will be driving from Louisville, KY to Portland in March.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:52 AM

378 posts, read 974,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The OP will be driving on the cusp of snow season. The safest (from a weather standpoint) route would be to drive the southern route to around LA then head north up I-5. As someone else mentioned on this forum there are stretches of the northern route without cell phone service, long distances between gas stations.

Cleveland residents have lots of experience with driving in snow conditions but not in mountains. Take an extra day or two, take the southern route. One nasty storm going through the mountains will set you back at least that much.

FYI, I was on I-80 about 6 weeks ago and encountered thunderstorms and the lack of motorist services.
Is there any concern around Mt. Shasta? I was actually planning a trip from Portland to LA in late Feb/early March and I'm debating the 101 (considerably longer) or risking I-5 through southern OR to northern CA. I do have an AWD vehicle but I've never had to chain up before. Being from the Detroit originally driving in snow is no issue but over the passes is a different story.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:03 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Once you get close to San Francisco/Portland check the weather forecasts and road conditions as far as Ashland/Redding. In my experience more people have issues north bound than south because the steep section is just south of Ashland and traction down hill is harder to control than up hill. The grade between Redding and Mt. Shasta isn't as steep but it is curvy. The weather during trip south last year for Thanksgiving was unusually snowy, cars were backed up northbound from just south of Ashland to the CA agricultural inspection station.

We regularly drive from Los Altos to Portland via I-5 in 10 hours, add another hour if the weather is cold & nasty.

While slower, the drive up the coast is beautiful, particularly southbound where you can stop at viewpoints without crossing traffic. I would cut over to the coast at Eugene.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 11-10-2011 at 01:12 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 02:20 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
While slower, the drive up the coast is beautiful, particularly southbound where you can stop at viewpoints without crossing traffic. I would cut over to the coast at Eugene.
Just be sure to have music in the car with you! It's gorgeous, but gets old after a while when you don't have anything to keep you going.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:43 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
"At least" is right... so... you have to ask yourself. Is it worth it? Before you answer "of course it is" think about what this route entails vs a more straightforward route. If it was as black and white as: I80 impassable after Nov 1 that would be one thing. But it is not. I80 is a major truck route and Nov 16 is not January 16. There might be weather but so might there be weather after you have gone 500 mile out of your way and are now making your way north on I5. Personally, I would wait for spring to make the trip but if it was that important I would just do it. Expediently. Equipped with proper tires, chains etc. and with a day or two budgeted in advance I would creep through any weather (weather I would not expect based on a thorough briefing from weather sources). Time spent creeping through weather is much kinder to ones wallet that time spent driving miles out of ones way. And yes, you could go out to the coast and the ocean would keep the worst of the weather away but it is still dicey driving! If one is competent to drive 101 in the off season then one should be competent to do the same on a major East/West Interstate. IMO.

H

Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 PM

145 posts, read 265,111 times
That is my plan, I am just going to prepare and hope for the best. Better than driving several hundred miles out of my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland