Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:14 PM

14 posts, read 43,851 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move from Oakland, CA (SF Bay Area) to Portland, and would love some tips on HOW to make the transition to wetter, grayer weather. I know it's going to be especially hard for my husband - what with the shorter days in the winter and all, but am wondering, if we go ahead with the move, if there is any way to help ease the difficulty.

Thanks so much for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 09:42 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,902 times
Welcome Magpie! I've tried to deal with the winters here, but I'm giving up and plan to move someplace sunnier. Portland is a beautiful city, but it's hard for lots of folks to have clouds and damp cold hang on for months at a time. Some winters are okay, though; sunnier ones tend to correlate with the presence of El Nino, where the jetstream tracks into California, leaving Oregon under a ridge of high pressure.

I try to get as much light as I can, pathetic as those attempts may be. I have a sunroof in my car. Even on grey days, you get more light in your eyes if you have the opaque part open. I try to take short trips to sunnier places in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb, if I can. Those four months are soooo dark. Getting up earlier and getting outside in the morning helps.

This is going to sound so dorky, but savor the sunbreaks. They do happen.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:19 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Get a sun lamp, take vitamin D and exercise. Don't sit around--stay active. Get a dog! I swear--getting out everyday for a romp with the dog rain or shine makes a difference.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:33 PM

30 posts, read 86,156 times
I agree with oldtintype. The sunlamp, the vitamin D, the exercise. I lived in the middle of Maine for many years where the dark and cold and snow seemed to last forever. It was actually intolerable, and getting out for exercise was nigh impossible in January and February. Portland seems like it will be a breeze compared to Maine and Northeast PA (where I've been for the past 3 years). But you're coming from CA, so that's a different story entirely.

I guess it all depends on one's inherent proclivity to seasonal affective issues and the kind of weather one is used to.

I'll take gray rainy days over cold snowy ones any day. You don't have to shovel the rain.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:38 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triana View Post
I agree with oldtintype. The sunlamp, the vitamin D, the exercise. I lived in the middle of Maine for many years where the dark and cold and snow seemed to last forever. It was actually intolerable, and getting out for exercise was nigh impossible in January and February. Portland seems like it will be a breeze compared to Maine and Northeast PA (where I've been for the past 3 years). But you're coming from CA, so that's a different story entirely.

I guess it all depends on one's inherent proclivity to seasonal affective issues and the kind of weather one is used to.

I'll take gray rainy days over cold snowy ones any day. You don't have to shovel the rain.
coming from upstate NY and MA, i have to agree. 4 months of grey skies and rain seem like a blessing...

Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 AM

14 posts, read 43,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Welcome Magpie! I've tried to deal with the winters here, but I'm giving up and plan to move someplace sunnier. Portland is a beautiful city, but it's hard for lots of folks to have clouds and damp cold hang on for months at a time.
Thanks so much for your tips - would you mind telling me where you're originally from, how long you've lasted in Portland, and where you're moving to? This is a big question for us, so I'm really interested in your decision to leave - is it soley weather motivated?

Old 08-27-2007, 01:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
I survived Portland weather for 7 years, but only because I had family and friends there. It was very hard for me to deal with the daily drizzle report. I used to get up early on weekends and drive hours over to eastern Oregon in hopes of finding some sun. If the weather was bearable, would probably still be there as Portland a very livable city and Oregon a beautiful state.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:30 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I didn't think that Portland 's weather was all that different from San Francisco . A lot different from New York or Chicago, but not northern California. Is it ?

Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
It's darker (mainly because the days are shorter in the winter--dark by 4:30 for two months). It's actually WARMER a great deal of the time because the wind in SF is just freezing, but SF has a lot more sun in terms of brightness and being closer to the equator. SF doesn't get the longer daylight in the summer though where it's not fully dark until 10pm and that kind of thing (which makes up for the shorter winter days). The SF cold is also damp though and when the fog rolls in and the wind picks up...it can be REALLY cold even in the summer. Also depends on where you live--my experience in the Mission District was very different than living in Alamo Square for example. In SF people ***** about the summer, here it's about the winter. I don't find it that different really--it's colder here in the winter (and WARMER during the summer!) and darker Nov-Feb but...it's not a massive difference. I also don't suffer from SAD though. I also don't sleep until 10 or 11AM and then complain because it's dark at 4:30

Old 08-27-2007, 04:14 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
well, it gets dark at 4:45 in New York during winter so I am used to that. It is the snow & below freezing temps in NY that I find so difficult to deal with.
Snow often turns to dirty slushy ice and then refreezes (with the dirt) making for an ugly and dangerous mess.
I don't sleep until ten or eleven either, so early darkness will not bother me all that much. I like the idea of sitting by a fire with a good book while the rain beats down on the roof.
At least I say that now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland