Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:45 AM

23 posts, read 74,787 times

Advertisements

Here's a question about neighborhoods that I hope you all can help me with. I thought I'd create a new thread, since my question is pretty specific.

I'm moving to Portland for a job in three weeks, and I need to find a place to live, which I'll have to rent sight unseen. Ultimately, I'll want to buy a place, so I'm shooting for a 6 mo. lease. (Once I know my way around, I can pick a more permanent spot).

Wondering if you can you give me your thoughts about the pros and cons of these addresses? I've already done a lot of research, so I know the basic stuff. I'm looking for more anecdotal info., specific details that only someone living in the area would know, personal impressions, etc.

I'm 35, the job will be near Lake Oswego, but I'd rather live closer to downtown. I've lived in Denver for the last 12 years, have a dog, own a car (but like to use it as little as possible), prefer to live near a nice gym, a book store, vegetarian restaurants. Mary the Dog prefers outdoor stuff nearby. Want gay-friendly but don't need a "scene."

Hoping to make a decision in the next week, so the more help the better. Thanks in advance.

1200 NW Marshall Street (Pearl)
4216 N Mississippi Avenue (Mississippi)
1550 SE 20th Avenue (Hawthorne)
1101 SE Sherman Street (Not sure what this neighborhood is called)
3720 SW Bond Avenue (South Waterfront)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:18 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
If I were you, and money was no object, I'd choose the Pearl address. It's a great, walkable area, close to many restaurants, shops, Trader Joe's and the legendary Powell's Books. I'm sure there must be a nice gym in the area as well.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 AM

I can afford something in any of the areas I mentioned, although I'd have to get something smaller in the Pearl. Am a little worried about the parking situation in the Pearl. Seems like that will cost me an extra $150/mo. if I end up there. I was a little surprised to see that rental units there don't include even 1 parking spot. I guess that discourages downtown-dwellers from owning cars, which is probably a good thing in a lot of ways. Unfortunately, since my job is near Lake Oswego, I don't think I can forego a car entirely.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:43 AM

The address you mentioned in the Pearl is the Asa Lofts, right? It looks like they have parking available. Not sure how much it costs though. I think there are quite a few places in the Pearl that have parking.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:50 AM

Yeah, it is in Asa Lofts. They have parking available, but it's an additional fee on top of the monthly rent, which seems to be the case with most places in The Pearl. Thanks for your help, btw. The Pearl definitely seems like a cool neighborhood. I drove through most of these neighborhoods when I was in town for the job interview, so I have at least a basic sense of what to expect from them. Honestly, I was pretty smitten with Portland when I was there, so I'm excited about wherever I end up.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:52 AM

I wouldn't even consider the Bond Street (South Waterfront) area. It's an area that was being developed prior to the big bust. It doesn't feel like a neighborhood at all and there are few if any local amenities. I think you'd feel very isolated there. It's more convenient to Lake Oswego but that's about all it has going for it. Living in the Pearl would be a lot more lively for both you and Mary the Dog. Pay the extra for parking if you can and enjoy all the area has to offer.
The Hawthorne address would be OK too but a completely different vibe than the Pearl. Think "hippie vs. hipster/yuppie". I don't know enough about the other areas you mentioned so can't comment. I do know that Mississippi has become quite gentrified in the last few years and has a lot to recommend it.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
My first choice would be the Pearl address. There's going to be so many more services in easy walking distance, and you're just a block off the trolley. And best of all, it's closest to Powell's.

I think my second choice, just for it's nearness to the trolley, would be the south waterfront address. No, there's not a whole lot right at your door, but hopping a trolley to get to them is a lot easier. Not to mention it's the closest to work.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I wouldn't write off the South Waterfront so quickly. She is only looking for 6 months lease, she can walk the dog along the river, her building probably has a gym (almost a routine amenity in new buildings). The streetcar offers transportation to downtown, including The Pearl. This isn't a life long committment after all.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I wouldn't write off the South Waterfront so quickly. She is only looking for 6 months lease, she can walk the dog along the river, her building probably has a gym (almost a routine amenity in new buildings). The streetcar offers transportation to downtown, including The Pearl. This isn't a life long committment after all.
But it's practically a ghost town on evenings and weekends. I think the sheer vitality of the Pearl would be more attractive. It certainly would for me.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:34 PM

Thanks EnricoV and Nell Plotts. The South Waterfront is still on my list mostly because of the convenience factor: gym in the building, close to work, easy access to public transportation, places for my dog to play, etc. I don't imagine settling down there for a long time, but it seems like an alright staging area, so to speak. Honestly, I'm also gravitating toward a high-rise, even though that's also not where I imagine myself long term, because I'm moving to Portland in the dead of winter and am a little nervous about the lack of light. Am moving from CO, one of the sunniest states in the country. Seems like being high up with a view of the sky will help with the transition. I was born in Madison, WI, which has about the same amount of sunshine as Portland, so I know what to expect, but I've gotten very used to sun in CO. I say bring on the drizzle, but be gentle with me my first year, Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: