Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:00 AM

25 posts, read 66,199 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to Portland but I have three companion animals and I don't know how hard it would be to find an apartment that would allow me to bring them. Can anyone offer advice? I'm not too picky about neighborhoods, something in the $600-$700 range-I am on SS disability. Oh, I and I might as well confess that one of my children is a blue & gold macaw. An abnormally quiet macaw, but still a macaw.I have read that Portland is a very, very pet friendly city. I so hope that's true.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Alice, who is dying to get out of Cincinnati
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Most landlords can rent their home/apartment in your price range to a person without so many pets. The parrot is a deal killer in most multifamily buildings.

You might be able to find housing in rural communities but then it could be a distance from grocery & medical care.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Well, I see two problems here. 1. It will be difficult to get anything but a very small apartment for the rent you want to pay even in a "bad" neighborhood and 2. It will be difficult to find someone who will rent to you will all those animals. I have had trouble finding apartments with just one kitty cat.

Portland is a very pet friendly town in that we have an excellent humane society and so many people have pets but also have their own homes.

What I would suggest is that you contact large rental management companies like American Properties. They manage lots of buildings throughout Portland and I know some of them do allow pets. There is also Reliance Management Co. that has a lot of rentals.

You can google for more. It's a start.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:29 PM

128 posts, read 220,609 times
we have two dogs and have been looking for housing/apt in the portland area (s/w) and it has been hard to find a place that takes two dogs! and they want a 350 pet deposit per pet, AND an extra 15-30 a month pet rent.

other than finding quarters that accept pets portland seems to be very pet friendly as far as allowing dogs in alot of public places.

good luck to you, if they are registered companion pets, (i dont know how that works but some paperwork saying they are trained as such) then maybe you would be allowed some lenience.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Default 2 dogs

This apartment complex was suggested to me. I don't know anything else about it, but you may want to call them.

The Sunset Summit Apartments on Barnes Road seem really pet friendly. They accept large dogs, and I always see people walking their dogs around the complex.

Hope this helps.

alice

Old 11-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Most landlords can rent their home/apartment in your price range to a person without so many pets. The parrot is a deal killer in most multifamily buildings.

You might be able to find housing in rural communities but then it could be a distance from grocery & medical care.
------
I was afraid that would be the case. Generally macaws and cockatoos and apartments are questionable. They can reach some pretty high decibel levels, although Pete is generally very quiet. I'd be perfectly happy to go rural. I don't care as much about where I am as much as I care about bringing them with me. I've worked in dog and parrot rescue long enough to make it very difficult for me to try to rehome an animal that I have committed to.

Thank you very much for your response and it was very helpful.

alice

Old 11-28-2011, 01:21 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amurphy View Post
I would like to move to Portland but I have three companion animals and I don't know how hard it would be to find an apartment that would allow me to bring them. Can anyone offer advice? I'm not too picky about neighborhoods, something in the $600-$700 range-I am on SS disability. Oh, I and I might as well confess that one of my children is a blue & gold macaw. An abnormally quiet macaw, but still a macaw.I have read that Portland is a very, very pet friendly city. I so hope that's true.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Alice, who is dying to get out of Cincinnati
LOL - we moved here from Ohio this summer, albeit the NE side of it.

I can't speak to landlords vs. pets, but I do know that PDX in general is exceptionally pet friendly. I cannot tell you how many grocery stores, shopping malls, bookstores, cafes, etc., that I've been in out here in the last 6 months, where dogs/cats/other have walked by me w/their owners. This weekend, we were sledding up on Mt. Hood, and there were at least 10 dogs roaming free up on the snow, having fun w/their families. Complete culture shock coming from less-than-hyper-friendly-towards-pets-in-public Ohio.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,559,522 times
If you have worked with animal rescue groups in OH I suggest you contact similar groups in OR. They may be able to work with you to find affordable housing, but as I mentioned, it likely won't be close to Portland.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:04 PM

240 posts, read 483,122 times
You might also run an ad of your own on Craigs List in the "housing wanted" section. I did that before moving here because of having multiple pets and got many good offers, though I finally found a place on my own. If you are persistent you may find what you are looking for, though there may be larger deposits needed.

I grew up in Cincinnati and almost decided to move back there after many years in Florida, but glad I chose Portland instead.

Good luck!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 AM

7 posts, read 23,670 times
This is essentially reiterating what everyone else said, but when we moved here in September, we had a really hard time finding an affordable rental house that would accept our two dogs. We ended up paying a ridiculously high security deposit, but we did find a place. Apartment complexes may be more lenient though.
That said, apart from not terribly pet-friendly housing, Portland is certainly pet friendly! Tons of dog parks, dogs with their owners in stores, dogs out hiking, etc. Lots of cute pet shops running from affordable up to high-end pet boutiques. A word of caution: Portland is notorious for fleas - treat your animals before you come, especially if you have a dog!
Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland