Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM

14 posts, read 50,191 times

Advertisements

I am looking for russian language lessons for my children in Portland area. I am not looking for private lessons, but rather for small group lessons for children whose second language is Russian (ours is a mixed family). We live in New York state at the moment (bit thinking of moving to Portland) and have russian community association that runs Sunday Russian school for children. In addition to Russian language they have other lessons such as art, music, drama, which help children to learn about Russian culture and to meet new people and make new friends. Is there anything like that in Portland area, since there is quite a big russian population in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 10:07 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Kelly Elementary School has a Russian Immersion program.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:53 AM

14 posts, read 50,191 times
EnricoV, thank you for your reply. This school only accepts Kindergarden or first grade age children to the program, which would not work for us, as my kids are older. I am more interested in afterschool or sunday type lessons

Old 12-05-2011, 08:59 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Were I you I would contact the school as the teachers are in the best position to know of the programs you seek.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:41 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,631 times
I would also contact Portland State's Applied Linguistics department, as there are several native Russian language speakers who have close ties to the Russian and Ukranian community. DM me for contact information.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milenamu View Post
EnricoV, thank you for your reply. This school only accepts Kindergarden or first grade age children to the program, which would not work for us, as my kids are older. I am more interested in afterschool or sunday type lessons
Try using the school as a resource for finding the type of lessons you're interested in. I would have to think they'd have knowledge of what's available.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,413 times
If you know the Russian language you can contact the site www.govorimpro.us There's going to a lot of immigrants and those who immigrated plans.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:32 PM

9 posts, read 55,882 times
I don't speak russian myself, but I have always ended up working places with large numbers of russians and little russians out here. I'm sure that with the number of communities filled with said russians/little russians at least a few of them have got to offer things like that. Though, I must say, you might be in a minority anywhere you go due to the wanting of children to only speak english to be real americans (And yes, I know all about that...my grandparents where the first generation here and we are germanic russians....none of their children where taught russian or german, and all the russian speakers I work with don't teach their kids either for that same exact reason, ie, wanting them to be real americans).
But again, with the number of those folks out here, there are large numbers of russian churches and such. Worse case, start a group at church to get it going I say
If you are interested I could try talking to my ex who is friends with many of the russians on her shift. A fair number of them live just outside portland to the north in vancouver, washington, though so I'm not sure if I could get information about the situation in actual portland proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland