Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,216 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to brainstorm ideas about why people spend time in downtown Portland. When you're there for a short time what are you doing? How long do you look for parking?

I'm thinking people go downtown to go out to eat or drink. If you're only going to be there for 20 minutes though what are you likely to do? Thanks for the responses.

Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:54 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,591,101 times
I go there for concerts, have been able to find free street parking after 7pm reasonably quickly within a few blocks.

Otherwise I go to the library or shop using transit.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,158,365 times
When I go downtown for just a short time, I go to shop or to eat. I don't look long for parking, if I don't find somewhere to park fairly quickly, I go elsewhere.

For longer times downtown, I go for the library or to an arts function (concerts, museums, movies).

Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM

378 posts, read 975,387 times
Because I live there?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:26 AM

892 posts, read 2,394,682 times
This may not be the kind of answer you're looking for, but there are a zillion reasons why I like downtown Portland and that's precisely why I moved here and live in the middle of it. I own a car, but I only need it to leave the city and visit far flung suburbs or other northwestern cities. I've never really had to look for parking anywhere inside downtown (unless the garage under Safeway or the Trader Joe lot counts) because of MAX, the streetcar, and all the buses I can take.

What kinds of stuff do my wife and I like to "do" downtown? We go to museums, we go to the library, we go on long walks along the riverfront and esplanade, we go out to the movies or to live shows like concerts or dance performances, we hike along trails like the 4T, we explore close-in neighborhoods like the alphabets and wonder where we might like to buy a house someday, and above all we EAT EAT EAT (oh my goodness this town is amazing for enthusiastic foodies).

Does any of that help?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 PM

343 posts, read 693,441 times
Good post khyron. Those are basically all the reasons why I go downtown. Having those big city amenities available is really nice in a place like Portland. If I could afford to live downtown I would in a heartbeat.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:18 PM

892 posts, read 1,594,698 times
If I go in the evenings or weekends, it's most likely for dinner, theater, concerts or specific shopping (e.g. Powell's or REI). It usually takes a several minutes to find parking but I can usually find a spot within 4 - 5 blocks of where I'm headed.

If I go during the day, it's most likely for work and I go to government buildings or a specific building. I can usually find parking quickly and within a block or two of my destination.

The only place I have any trouble trying to find parking is if I'm going to the courthouse or to city hall. Those places and the blocks surrounding them seem to be the busiest and if you can go a couple blocks away, then there's not usually a problem.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,545,653 times
I work downtown, so I go downtown every weekday for that purpose. After work I'll often go to nearby bars for happy hour or dinner. I'll often go downtown to go to the main library or Powell's for books(between the two of them I can usually find most books I'm looking for). I'll go downtown for shows(Crystal Ballroom often), to go to bars or to eat at places like Kenny and Zukes or Clyde Common or somewhere in the Pearl. I live in inner NE Portland off Williams so the Pearl and downtown is very close by for shopping or anything else.

When I don't feel like driving or my car is out of commission, the bus routes all take me downtown, so I can go for groceries or anything else downtown as well. There's gyms in the Pearl and downtown that I go to as well. Basically downtown for me, offers a close by option for most amenities and types of business I need. It's pretty convenient actually... I rarely have problems parking except for more in the NW area on weekends.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,453,424 times
Bars and dining options that are not available in the Suburbs. Meeting up with friends who live all across town, and attending venues such as museums and art galleries that don't exist in the 'burbs. Things like First Thursday make the drive worthwhile.

Oh, and the big central Multnomah County Library when I need to do some research. The Washington County Library system is good, Multnomah is better.

The 1960's reason for going downtown, namely shopping, isn't a factor for me. There aren't many high quality shops down town any more so the connivence of going to a local mall more then makes up for it. Not to mention Internet shopping for really esoteric and high quality items.

I absolutely have always hated working downtown though. It's never been the commute, I just don't like having to deal with crowds, pan handlers, poor parking options, inconsistent parking meters, bumpy roads (especially when on bike,) and drivers who don't watch for pedestrians or bikes at all.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,316,110 times
Powells and the Saturday Market. If I'm by myself I take Max. If the husband goes with me to the Saturday Market then we use a nearby open parking lot.

We occasionally attend a concert and always park at a nearby lot or garage. Street parking if we're lucky.

Waterfront Blues Festival every July and we utilize one of the big garages. We don't take Max because we carry in too much stuff.

I don't go downtown nearly as much as I used to 20 to 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland