Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM

11 posts, read 14,760 times

Advertisements

I'm moving in about a month. I have a job so no worries there but I'm trying to figure out where to live. I want to be in the SE and I've been told to move close to Hawthorne. I can't afford to live right in the city. What are some neighborhoods in the SE that are easy to get into the city but are affordable (like $700-$800/month)? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I'll have about 2 days to find an apartment at the end of this month. Not much time I know so I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
I'd look at Milwaukie.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:05 PM

What are Brooklyn and Gresham like? Is Gresham too far from the city?

Old 03-12-2012, 01:11 PM

39 posts, read 117,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoportland View Post
What are Brooklyn and Gresham like? Is Gresham too far from the city?
Not familiar with Brooklyn. Gresham...well...it's in the news a lot.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
Gresham is a city of it's own east of Portland. It has its own downtown but it's not really close to downtown Portland.

Brooklyn is a neighborhood south of Powell along Milwaukie. There are some pretty good restaurants and bars there. If you could find a spot there, it wouldn't be bad. The area is served by buses.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Here is a bit about Brooklyn. It may be one of the few places in close in SE you would be able to find a rental in your price range.

Brooklyn Neighborhood in Portland, Oregon

Old 03-12-2012, 04:42 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
A lot depends on where you'll be working. Milwaukie is a decent area (I used to live there).. There may be apartments available in the Hawthorne, Clinton, Reed, Buckman, Alberta, Mississippi areas. Some could be in older homes that have been divided, or smaller apartment complexes.

Sounds like what you're asking is doable.. I like Gresham and the outer SE. That's where I live now.

From downtown Gresham into downtown Portland (across the Wilamette into downtown), would be about a half hour drive - about 14.5 miles + or - (Mostly on I-84) - but there are several ways to get there.

From Gresham to I-205, (that would be driving West on Division, Stark or Glisan (there are several other East-West Streets to choose from). Then, it's about 15 minutes (probably less.)

From Stark and SE 181st (Number streets run north-south), going north to I-84, you're talking about 5-10 minutes.

There are several good apartment management companies where you can get qualified through them, which will save you lots of application time... then be ready to choose a place.

To get an idea of what these places look like, go to YouTube and check out some of the driving videos.

Here's a brief look at the Hawthorne district
Video Tour of Hawthorne Neighborhood in Portland, Oregon - YouTube

this video is the I-84 drive from downtown Portland out to Gresham in speeded up time. There are
also map notes on the different exits and cities.
I-84 East (OR), Portland To Gresham, Mile 1 To Mile 13 - YouTube (bet you can't sleep through this music!)

If you want to compare neighborhood home prices:
byneighborhood.com has an interactive site where you can check out any neighborhood

Old 03-12-2012, 04:47 PM

I work from home so I can live anywhere. I'm a 26 year old single girl though so I want to be somewhere I can easily make friends and have a nightlife. Sucks I can't afford $1000+ for a 1 BR...just looking for alternatives in my price range

Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoc View Post
A lot depends on where you'll be working. Milwaukie is a decent area (I used to live there).. There may be apartments available in the Hawthorne, Clinton, Reed, Buckman, Alberta, Mississippi areas. Some could be in older homes that have been divided, or smaller apartment complexes.

Sounds like what you're asking is doable.. I like Gresham and the outer SE. That's where I live now.

From downtown Gresham into downtown Portland (across the Wilamette into downtown), would be about a half hour drive - about 14.5 miles + or - (Mostly on I-84) - but there are several ways to get there.

From Gresham to I-205, (that would be driving West on Division, Stark or Glisan (there are several other East-West Streets to choose from). Then, it's about 15 minutes (probably less.)

From Stark and SE 181st (Number streets run north-south), going north to I-84, you're talking about 5-10 minutes.

There are several good apartment management companies where you can get qualified through them, which will save you lots of application time... then be ready to choose a place.

To get an idea of what these places look like, go to YouTube and check out some of the driving videos.

Here's a brief look at the Hawthorne district
Video Tour of Hawthorne Neighborhood in Portland, Oregon - YouTube

this video is the I-84 drive from downtown Portland out to Gresham in speeded up time. There are
also map notes on the different exits and cities.
I-84 East (OR), Portland To Gresham, Mile 1 To Mile 13 - YouTube (bet you can't sleep through this music!)

If you want to compare neighborhood home prices:
byneighborhood.com has an interactive site where you can check out any neighborhood
What do you mean by this? What apartment management companies? Do you mean I could get approved before I go out there? That would save a lot of time. Like I said, I only have 2 days to find a place at the end of March.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Gresham is a city of it's own east of Portland. It has its own downtown but it's not really close to downtown Portland.

Brooklyn is a neighborhood south of Powell along Milwaukie. There are some pretty good restaurants and bars there. If you could find a spot there, it wouldn't be bad. The area is served by buses.
Thanks... I wasn't familiar with Brooklyn area. I just knew about Brooklyn Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland