Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 AM

4 posts, read 29,852 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I am trying to gather information on what it is like to work as a senior process engineer at Intel. Anybody here can share with me your experiences developing new processes and technologies there? I heard about the on-call responsibilities and 60+ working hrs per week are typical. How often do you need to get back to your equipment and how random can these happen? Late night and/or early morning? I understand this may vary in individuals but I am really just trying to get a feel so an average number will do. Do you think people can build a long career (10+ yrs?) out of this processing engineering job without burning out ultimately? The more information about the job you can share the better. Actual examples will be super welcome and truly appreciated.

Hillsboro/Portland is truly beautiful and scenic. I don't mind the rainy/chilly weather at all and in fact I kind of like it. I truly believe the area is somewhere I would enjoy living. I really just have to figure out what awaits me at Intel. I would love to hear some of the true and honest answers so I can make an educated judgment.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 AM

381 posts, read 1,016,278 times
I used to work at Intel as a sysadmin (Cornell Oaks, then Jones Farm, in what used to be Digital Home Group - I was hired on the down-low because IT and even EC moved too slowly to get things done in the labs).

As far as career-wise at Intel? Keep your resume' polished, and network like hell within the corp - especially with folks outside of your group. The reason why is simple: Outside of the fabs, Intel creates 'groups', and that group is usually based around a product, concept, or function (mostly products). The group you work in has its own budget and management, and it lives or dies on its own (sometimes it gets killed, but that's another story). If the group you're in is disbanded, you have roughly three months to find a new group to work in, or else you're unemployed.

Sometimes your group (especially if it's centered around maintenance and upkeep of the flagship x86 CPUs) will last for a decade or more. Sometimes (like DHG, or worse, Viiv) it'll die fairly quickly.

Keeping a strong network of coworkers outside the group will get you clued in on new groups forming, and a strong network of coworkers in your group can mean that someone in it can pull you along to a better position/promotion as well.

As far as hours per week? It depends. At the beginning of a project, things are slack as hell, and a lot of folks will take sabbaticals as soon as they get their preparatory tasks complete. Towards the release date? Expect 12 to 16-hour workdays for weeks on end.

Now if you're in the fab? Whole different world, which honestly I'm not familiar with.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Random_Walk - Thank you for your information. I truly appreciate it. I understand one needs strong networking skills to survive in a huge corporation like Intel. Working at the leading edge of technology can obviously have different working styles and environments...

Hey I was wondering if you or anyone can suggest a few nice apartments in the nice part of cities of Aloha or Beaverton? I will probably like to get a 1-1, or 2-1, and maybe ~$1000 per month? I wish to live close to activities and good restaurants and stores, etc...

Any suggestion will be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Depends on which campus you're at. If you're at the Aloha Fab, that puts you firmly on the border between Aloha and Hillsboro, which means you're best looking to Beaverton for apartments (there's a few complexes to avoid, but otherwise no problem) - it's a bit more southerly than the rest of the campuses. Same story on places to live if you're at Cornell Oaks/CO-1 (which is deep inside Beaverton - NW 158th and almost Cornell).

If you're at Hawthorne Farms, Ronler Acres (and/or the Dx Fabs), Jones Farm, or Amberglen, you're in luck - there are a ton of really nice apartment complexes along Evergreen Road going west from NW 185th Avenue (and/or Cornell Rd), and they average $1k/month for a 2bdrm/1ba setup. The ones along that area are close to nearly everything you'd want or need as far as amenities and shopping.

Even if you chose the Evergreen Rd area but work in Aloha, it's only a 20 minute drive or so, even during rush.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM

Thank you Random_Walk for being so informative. Yes I will be at the Aloha Fab and I did a quick map distance search which suggests a drive of 10 minutes from Regal Theater on Evergreen Rd to the Aloha Fab straight down 185th ave. I suppose with traffic it will be about 15 minutes drive, which really isn't too bad if I could be close to some activities. Your estimation is definitely correct. Several apartments that I have quickly searched include:

Creekside at Tanasbourne, 2705 NW John Olsen Avenue
Commons at Verandas in Tanasbourne, 2501 NW Overlook Drive
Greenbrier at Tanasbourne, 1305 NW 189TH Way
The Lakes Apartments, 18200 NW Cornell Rd

What do you think of any of these apartments?

I heard/noticed Beaverton is a bigger city than Aloha/Hillsboro. Based on your experiences, can you recommend a few apartments in Beaverton? As you probably know, I don't mind driving 10-15 minutes to get to/from Aloha. I have been reading postings here and people typically recommend to avoid apartments along TV highway...

Thanks for all your helpful information!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 PM

Avoiding the complexes along/near TV (Tualatin Valley) highway is a good idea. Same with avoiding a few along Farmington Rd.

The apartments you listed are all pretty decent (not sure about The Lakes, though - no experience there). I lived at Thorncroft Farms for two years (Stucki Ave, just off of Evergreen and across from Streets of Tanasbourne), and you haven't even come close to listing all of the complexes in the area.

The only thing to keep an eye on is the new hospital going up at Evergreen and Stucki Rd. Once it's up and running, the ambulance noises might wake you up at odd hours, and there will likely be a mad rush of folks moving into the neighborhood that will be working there.

Not too many complexes that I know of in Beaverton offhand. There was one I lived at called Club At The Green (they changed the name to Cedar Pointe or somesuch), and it was a rathole. I'm fairly sure that there are some better complexes, I just don't know offhand about any of them.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,199 times
I lived in the condos behind The Lakes for a couple of years, and had several classmates/acquaintances that lived directly in The Lakes. The apartments are nice enough, and the neighborhood is good. We never had any issues in the duplexes.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Random_Walk: Thank you for your insightful suggestion on the new hospital and ambulance noises. Those first-handed information are exactly what I am looking for since I wont' have an opportunity to tour and research right there. I will be moving in around August/September.

figmalt: Thank you for the information on The Lakes. I am coming also thinking about Wyndhaven Apartments, 230 SW Edgeway Dr. This apartment is only steps away from the MAX and I feel like this is an added convenience? Is it right to assume that taking the MAX to downtown Portland can save parking troubles? Do Portland/Hillsboro/Beaverton people use MAX extensively? Let's say if I were to catch an event at downtown Portland, would you guys typically drive, or park and ride bus, or take the MAX over?

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions!

Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
If the MAX would work for me (from my home it would be a 6-block climb uphill) I would definitely take it to downtown events even in the evening. The venues that require a change (to another train or streetcar) would be the Keller Auditorium near Market St or the Lincoln Auditorium at Portland State. FYI, the MAX will take you to the airport too.

The MAX is very popular.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabangdung View Post
Is it right to assume that taking the MAX to downtown Portland can save parking troubles? Do Portland/Hillsboro/Beaverton people use MAX extensively? Let's say if I were to catch an event at downtown Portland, would you guys typically drive, or park and ride bus, or take the MAX over?
Yes, it can save on parking. I live in Beaverton and use MAX to get to Portland depending on where in Portland I'm going too. If I'm going within walking distance of MAX at the other end (about 1 1/5 miles,) then I usually take it. If I'm going further then that, or bus transfers would take me more then an hour total travel time, then I drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland