Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,152,331 times

Advertisements

So those are the only four stores that are in competition with WalMart?

And FYI, Kroger has locations only in the US, while only about half of WalMarts locations are in the US, which actually makes them pretty comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:53 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,190,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
When they are shoveling crappy food down the throats of not only American's but third world people, I have a problem with that. ...............
"As I had been in my own kitchen, the tasters were surprised when the results were unblinded at the end of the meal and they learned that in a number of instances they had adamantly preferred Walmart produce. And they weren’t entirely happy."

The whole story of the blind comparison test:
The Great Grocery Smackdown - Magazine - The Atlantic

Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,467,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
"As I had been in my own kitchen, the tasters were surprised when the results were unblinded at the end of the meal and they learned that in a number of instances they had adamantly preferred Walmart produce. And they weren’t entirely happy."

The whole story of the blind comparison test:
The Great Grocery Smackdown - Magazine - The Atlantic
Wow! That's a surprise. Kind of like hearing that Whole Foods' frozen vegetables are from China.

You just never know.......

Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,467,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanently Lost View Post
I used to work for a Wal-Mart years ago, and I always find it funny when people talk crap about the wages. When I worked there I got annual raises, health, dental, vision benefits, profit sharing, 401k etc.
Perm, I have to add that the benefits you got at Wal Mart were better than those people were receiving at most other grocery stores. That's because their union never stood up for them while those stores were giving them the bare minimum.

There is a reason the employees of Trader Joe's and New Seasons won't let the unions in. They have a better deal going for themselves without them.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,564,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
So those are the only four stores that are in competition with WalMart?

And FYI, Kroger has locations only in the US, while only about half of WalMarts locations are in the US, which actually makes them pretty comparable.
WalMart has 4468 stores in the US. That's still substantially more than Kroger, which even spreads it stores out among different "companies", each of which have some autonomy (ie. see the Portland plastic bag ban. Try to get that done at a WalMart!)

The fact that they do have a substantial amount of stores in other countries is exactly my point, they're too big and too far-reaching.

I'm was using your example of the "big" stores, I was not saying those were the only competition to WalMart, but I dare you to find a company that is bigger, in the same market.

In all this debating, the fact that there is a WalMart on SE 82nd has kind of been lost. WalMart is not completely new in Portland.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Yes, but you're putting the entire blame on WalMart for decline (if there even is one ... you didn't give any statistics other than a "story") in small business. ALL large box stores are responsible, not just WalMart. And as that is a US issue, that's why I pointed out that there are not that many more WalMarts than Krogers.

And don't bring up that stupid plastic bag ban. Couldn't get it done at WalMart? That's points in their favor, IMO.

But yes, there are several WalMarts in the metropolitan area, not just the one on 82nd.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:25 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,935 times
There are currently three Wal-Mart's in the area: One on 82nd, one in Cornelius (just outside Hillsboro), and one in Woodburn, just off I-5, quite a bit south of the Sherwood exit.

This proposed one in Tigard would be #4 in the PDX metro area. Outside the Metro area? I think the closest one would be in Lincoln City... ?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:33 PM

10 posts, read 22,325 times
There are Wal-Marts in McMinnville and St Helens.

I heard that Wal-Mart tried to push its way into Hillsboro for years and even sued the city at some point, that seems crazy. They finally settled on Cornelius, its actually closer to Forest Grove.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:07 PM

638 posts, read 1,179,281 times
I just find it to be an unpleasant shopping experience and a bit of an eyesore, so I won't be going there. If it provides some needed new jobs for people, that's great. And maybe the road improvements they are required to make will actually help traffic....maybe?

Old 03-25-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Walk View Post
There are currently three Wal-Mart's in the area: One on 82nd, one in Cornelius (just outside Hillsboro), and one in Woodburn, just off I-5, quite a bit south of the Sherwood exit.

This proposed one in Tigard would be #4 in the PDX metro area. Outside the Metro area? I think the closest one would be in Lincoln City... ?
Actually, from Longview to Salem (I used a downtown Portland zip code to search) their website shows 15 stores. There are 2 on 82nd, 1 in Wood Village, 3 in the Vancouver Area, 1 in St. Helens, 1 in Woodland, 2 in Longview, 2 in Salem, and 1 in McMinnville (in addition to the ones you listed above).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland