Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 PM

218 posts, read 376,878 times

Advertisements

I have personally been researching just like everyone on here about moving from out of state to the Portland Area and some other cities as well in Oregon ( Salem, Albany, Hillsboro ect). I have had the opportunity to visit twice already and have tons of videos, pictures, reviews you name it I did it. I find my self asking questions about neighborhoods, traffic, daily life, schools, parks and even specific intersections ( housing ). I always think to my self " I wonder if youtube will show me what I am looking for". And yes, most of the time I can get a general idea of what I was looking for. But there comes a time when I wish someone would show me video of the streets I am looking to live on, or schools, or night life. A better view of the area from someone who is moving from out of state like I am. Better yet what if someone could go view a house I am looking to rent and the area surrounding?

I would love your honest opinion if this is something you would think would be a great service for others like my self. I have been in the " move to Oregon" mind set for over and I am finally moving June 29th. I know there are others like me that would love for a personal video of an apartment complex right? Not that I would charge or anything, I just think its a great idea. I think it would be nice to take some video for people of areas they want to see and show them how wonderful it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 05:07 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
General videos of people in public places with enough distance so that they cannot be identified is fine IMHO. I recognize that there is no assumption of privacy on the street but if someone can be identified ask their permission, to do otherwise is rude. Google was sued when their street views showed identifiable individuals.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:32 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Google Street Views can do most of this (granted it can be dated a bit).
And it sounds like you may be over-planning a bit. Half the fun of moving it the unknown. Sounds like you have more than done your homework.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 AM

218 posts, read 376,878 times
Yeah I know that I am not trying to go big, just something I feel i could offer to those who are in my shoes and want to see certain areas and see up to date videos. Nothing to big, just views of areas that people request to see. For example if someone said i want to move to hillsboro, but i don't know what the general drive is like or I want to see the apartment complex more but I only see pictures online. I would do that for them. I already have a blog that i started that shows Oregon, from a Mom, Wife Friend point of view. But i was just gathering thoughts about videos as well. Thank you for all the information. I know when I used google maps some homes were not shown because at the time of their " filming" ( driving around with cameras on the cars) they couldn't capture certain houses because of either traffic, schools, or other issues. I was just thinking outside the box. Maybe its just me that gets frustrated to see adds for homes for rent, with NO photos, and if there are photos, they are not enough to make you see the whole home. But when I find one that has a walk through video, i'm sold~! it just makes a world of difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland