Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:36 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I would definitely go for the Veritable Quandary position. It's a great place, has been there a long time and having an "in" in any type of job in Portland is worth its weight in diamonds.
Yeah, I'd say that'd be as good as gets for a serving/bar job in Portland. It's a classy joint and it's not going out of business anytime soon(unlike some other newer restaurants that are less established). Plus you get a lot of downtown business lunches and afterwork drinkers there, so you probably have a good chance of scoring some decent tips. Just my take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshastouch View Post
I
Really? is it that tough? It seems like there are a good number of postings on craigslist, I just figured I'd ask those in the know as to what was a good spot and what was not.
Lots of jobs posted on Craigslist, but keep in mind that they're also getting hundreds of resumes for each position still.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
Lots of jobs posted on Craigslist, but keep in mind that they're also getting hundreds of resumes for each position still.
And that's hundreds of people who are already here so they can start work ASAP.

I would definitely stick with the more established restaurants. The newer ones often come and go very quickly. This is one of the more challenging businesses to try to get into because of the competition.

If you can get into the VQ, you will absolutely have it made.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101
Stay away from the fast food joints if you want to enhance your pay with tips, you might want to look at dining restaurants like Olive Garden,Friendlies,Chillies type places..
Quote:
I'm assuming this is a joke...
Yes its a big joke, sorry for trying to help out by giving advice,
i thought i was in the Florida section advising some one of some potential family restaurants in the area.
My bad..

Last edited by jambo101; 04-27-2012 at 01:10 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,361 times
I'm kind of shocked that you have a 4217 in Reputation.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
I'm kind of shocked that you have a 4217 in Reputation.
I made a mistake on which state i was viewing and for my efforts at trying to help out the op all i get is uncalled for snarky comments/remarks.
As for my accumulation of rep points? obviously things arent what you think they are and i certainly didnt get them by giving rude and discourteous reply's

Last edited by jambo101; 04-27-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
jambo101, I feel your pain. I have done this once or twice and it is a bit embarrassing. Sometimes it's easy to loose track of the forum one is one.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:56 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I made a mistake on which state i was viewing and for my efforts at trying to help out the op all i get is uncalled for snarky comments/remarks.
As for my accumulation of rep points? obviously things arent what you think they are and i certainly didnt get them by giving rude and discourteous reply's
Well, to be fair ... you started with the snarky comments with your "Yes its a big joke, sorry for trying to help out by giving advice."

I always wonder, though ... why do posters who live in a state and are offering advice in that state ... why are ever they off in other state's forums? I don't even go in the other states, as I don't live there, so have no opinion to offer.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:56 PM

8 posts, read 15,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

snarky and rude?

stop acting like a butthurt, petulant child.

That was snarky...

Old 04-27-2012, 04:24 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,013 times
Quote:
Really? is it that tough?
Yes. Here's why:

* Large numbers of college grads and recent grads (with more being minted this month!), few of whom have experience in their particular fields beyond maybe an internship or two.

* Large numbers of long-term unemployed who are unable to rejoin their previous careers, so they're looking for whatever they can get.

* Lots of recently retired folks who realized that this economy has trashed their 401ks and other instruments, so they need something to bolster the income.

* we're talking about jobs where there isn't that large of a skillset required (I'm honestly not trying to insult, but in what I figure of the job? If you have a decent memory, keep your hands clean and have good people skills, you're usually good to go. I'm more than happy to accept any corrections to this assumption.)

...sort of makes a perfect storm of crap for anyone who may be very good at the restaurant biz, since they have to fight through a mountain of folks who also want that job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland