Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:34 AM

84 posts, read 111,091 times

Advertisements

The past few days I have been admiring all of the flowers blooming in the neighbors' yards. The tulips are especially beautiful, but I understand that they need the cold winter weather to make the bulbs grow in spring. Are there any flowers that I can plant now? I want to put some rose bushes in the backyard. I am also hoping to grow a few veggies. What can I plant now? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:42 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Thank whatever Deity you subscribe too, OSU Master Gardener Program is here to help you!

Monthly Garden Calendars | Oregon State University Extension Service | Gardening

They frequently have booths at local farmer's markets with free publications and advice too!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:50 AM

Awesome - thank you! It looks like it is a great time to start planting veggies and some flowers. Now I have another great reason to check out the farmers' market!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:17 AM

899 posts, read 2,943,700 times
We have some neat local nurseries and they are all with people are will help you get started.
Most of the master gardener chapters in the area will be having plant sales,ours in Salem is next
weekend..
Oregon is such a fun place to garden ..
Enjoy

Old 04-27-2012, 01:51 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonderingPortland View Post
The past few days I have been admiring all of the flowers blooming in the neighbors' yards. The tulips are especially beautiful, but I understand that they need the cold winter weather to make the bulbs grow in spring. Are there any flowers that I can plant now? I want to put some rose bushes in the backyard. I am also hoping to grow a few veggies. What can I plant now? TIA!
My wife just planted some lillies this week. Along with them, there are a number of flowers that can be planted now & will be up in late summer, although you're starting to get a little late for many of those.

And yes, I too have been amazed at the flora of the area. We noticed that the home we rent had all of 3 tulips come up this spring, none of which bloomed. We will definitely be planting some bulbs this fall, since this was our first spring there, and were disappointed by the lack of beauties.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Thank you mamh and wanderbygrace!

I will look and see if there are any Master Gardener plant sales in my area. That sounds great! I will also get moving and look into lillies, etc. I do want to enjoy some flowers in our own garden this summer. In CA we lived in a condo, and had a container garden. I am so ready to have an actual garden!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:07 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
This is the traditional flower planting time in Western Oregon. Traditionally, May 15 is the first guaranteed frost-free day of the year, but that has moved a couple weeks earlier in the last 50 years. Feel free to plant any kind of garden seeds, including flowers, this weekend. You can also plant sets. Chrysanthemum sets will produce showy flowers from mid-summer to frost. Bulbs won't do much this year, but once they are established they will be some of your earliest perennials.

The Willamette Valley is one of the great garden spots of the world. You will be astonished by what you can grow.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Bulbs won't do much this year, but once they are established they will be some of your earliest perennials.
Any possibly your biggest pests

Old 04-28-2012, 02:12 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
Dahlias. In fact, early May is better to plant those bulbs than in April. But they do best in full sun. Lilies, like Stargazers or Casa Blancas.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:16 PM

Thank you Larry and Bluesmama! I am so excited to have a real garden! I can't wait until all of the lovely flowers come in (so I bought a few potted tulips and lavender to tide me over).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland