Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 PM

43 posts, read 72,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
i'm in the montclair elementary boundary area. i imagine it can't be very big, but maybe try checking it out - i don't know if the new construction areas would be in that boundary, since we're right on the edge of the city border. if i had a money tree i'd look at the international school for language immersion. alas, it is more like a money shrub.
We're finding some good deals in Tigard, Tualatin, Beaverton, and even Clackamas. Clackamas is a bit far but the other 3 are a decent commute from either downtown Portland or Beaverton. My wife is pretty big on having a nice yard and some of those houses have good ones. I realized that we don't necessarily need to be near good high schools yet but definitely good elementary schools, as we will probably upgrade to another house before our kids (9 months and unborn) are in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:23 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,245 times
Corey - so when you say you want "new", do you mean that you want a brand new home, or something that is fairly new (less than 10 years old)? If you want brand new, there are several developments going up in the Bethany area off of Springville Road (North of US 26, East of 185th Avenue). The Bull Mountain developments are off of Bull Mountain Road in Tigard.

Also, just FYI, it's tough to get a big yard with new construction around here, especially if you want to be close to Beaverton.

My favorite site for checking out local real estate was Redfin. Search Homes for Sale & Find Real Estate Agents Who Put You First | Redfin. They include local school rating, new construction, etc.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Corey - so when you say you want "new", do you mean that you want a brand new home, or something that is fairly new (less than 10 years old)? If you want brand new, there are several developments going up in the Bethany area off of Springville Road (North of US 26, East of 185th Avenue). The Bull Mountain developments are off of Bull Mountain Road in Tigard.

Also, just FYI, it's tough to get a big yard with new construction around here, especially if you want to be close to Beaverton.

My favorite site for checking out local real estate was Redfin. Search Homes for Sale & Find Real Estate Agents Who Put You First | Redfin. They include local school rating, new construction, etc.

Good luck in your search!
I mean "new" as in built in 1990 or later. So I'm not too much of a stickler on it, we just want either a newer built home or an upgraded one. A bigger yard is more important to us, and then we want to be near a good elementary school and in an area that is good for kids and families but is still close enough to downtown Portland or Beaverton (depending on where I work). I'll check out Redfin. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:09 PM

Is it possible to find a decent house in the 225K range that is in a good neighborhood?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:54 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreymlong View Post
Is it possible to find a decent house in the 225K range that is in a good neighborhood?
Both "decent" and "good" are judgments that differ for everyone. Sure you can find a decent house for that price in a good neighborhood. Will it be what you think it ought to be? Probably not. It seems everyone always expects more for their money than they can get.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Both "decent" and "good" are judgments that differ for everyone. Sure you can find a decent house for that price in a good neighborhood. Will it be what you think it ought to be? Probably not. It seems everyone always expects more for their money than they can get.
We've only been in apartments and have recently rented a 3 bedroom small house with no yard in CA, it's really expensive. Based on what we've looked at we are very happy with what we are seeing at the price points. We've really focused in on the Beaverton/Tigard/Tualatin areas. You have to search but I think we'll find something there.

I'm just really concerned about being in a neighborhood where we can meet people and have kids for my kids to play with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland