Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:10 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times

Advertisements

I pay roughly $25/mo in Vancouver for trash, recycling and yard debris, with the option to cancel yard debris if I don't need it. For composting, I just use a 5-gallon bucket.

It's been awhile since I left Phoenix so the sticker shock has worn off, but I do still miss bulk trash pickup. That came in handy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Ha, we actually pay less than you do. I think my trash is $28/month.
Want to take any other digs at Portland?
I'm honestly surprised its cheaper, but keep in mind that you only get it picked up every other week. I get mine picked up weekly, so really the price in Clackamas is cheaper per pickup.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
I'm honestly surprised its cheaper, but keep in mind that you only get it picked up every other week. I get mine picked up weekly, so really the price in Clackamas is cheaper per pickup.
WE only get trashed picked up every other week, but we still get recycling and compost every week, which is about 60-70% of my trash. I love it, makes people actually think about all the waste they're producing.

What were you possibly putting in five giant trash containers a week? Our household of two barely fills a 30 gallon can every other week.

I hadn't thought about the sharing service idea, that's an interesting avenue to explore.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 AM

780 posts, read 1,577,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
WE only get trashed picked up every other week, but we still get recycling and compost every week, which is about 60-70% of my trash. I love it, makes people actually think about all the waste they're producing.

What were you possibly putting in five giant trash containers a week? Our household of two barely fills a 30 gallon can every other week.

I hadn't thought about the sharing service idea, that's an interesting avenue to explore.
Family of seven, including two teenaged boys, and no recycling whatsoever. Five containers wasn't quite our normal every week, but three definitely was.

As a note - recycling in Ohio is pretty much unheard of. VERY few people recycle there.

Last edited by wanderbygrace; 07-13-2012 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 05:39 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,983 times
It seems like many people live in houses here. I'm wondering how this would work in apartment buildings.

In Manhattan, there are large piles of shiny black garbage bags in the middle of the street and on the corner. I think it's because there's 13 million people, mostly living in apartments.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:51 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
It seems like many people live in houses here. I'm wondering how this would work in apartment buildings.
Every complex I've ever lived in has had communal garbage and recycling bins. The costs were just part of rent.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post

In Manhattan, there are large piles of shiny black garbage bags in the middle of the street and on the corner. I think it's because there's 13 million people, mostly living in apartments.
I live in an apartment. We have a sign in the basement that tells us what can and cannot be recycled. We have two recycling bins for our eight unit apartment building we share with the duplex next store owned by the same person. One bin is for glass, the rest is for everything else recyclable. We have regular trash cans outside every other apartment we put regular garbage in. The pick ups for both are once a week.

We also have a compost can because we have a yard with small spaces for gardening where people grow veggies in the summer time.

Larger buildings usually have larger bins for regualr garbage instead of individual cans but some smaller ones do too. I think the rule for all apartments for pick ups are once a week.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Quote:
Family of seven, including two teenaged boys, and no recycling whatsoever. Five containers wasn't quite our normal every week, but three definitely was.

As a note - recycling in Ohio is pretty much unheard of. VERY few people recycle there.
I spent the first 18 years of my life living in a suburb of Cleveland, and yes recycling is not as prevalent there as it is here, but I can remember back to even 1994 we had recycling. And amazingly you didn't have to sort stuff back then. So I definitely wouldn't call recycling unheard of in Ohio (not even almost 20 years ago).

I know that my parents, currently in Ohio, have about the same setup we do here in Portland (minus the composting). ie. they have the same size trash bin as recycling bin.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:

I am surprised to see this. When I visited my friend in Cleveland a few years ago, I saw recycling in her neighborhood and others we went. Of course I don't know about all of Ohio.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,983 times
Minervah, that's what I mean - apt buildings do have garbage and recycling pickups (I live in an apt building too), but at the end of the week, things get pretty full down there. I can't imagine twice-a-month garbage pickup for an apartment building. It is hard to keep rodents/bugs away when you have festering trash for too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland