Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:16 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry that you won't be here when I get there. You sound like such a positive person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:06 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post

But the reasons I'm leaving have less to do with what's wrong with the city and more to do with my changing circumstances. I want to live in a smaller, quieter, less crowded place. I like visiting cities, but I don't really want to live in or really even near one any more. I want a LOT more sun, even if I have to put up with snow and cold to get it (I'd rather the snow in winter than the 100+ temps in summer or humidity). I don't want to see moss on the concrete on the SOUTH and WEST sides of the house anymore. I'm tired of city traffic, and I'm willing to live 30 miles outside a small town to get away from it.

But as cities go, there's nothing wrong with Portland compared to any other city of the same size. It's a lovely city and I plan to come back frequently, and stay downtown and eat at the great restaurants and spend hours wandering around Powell's. I like the feel of the city, I like the people, the downtown, the narrow neighborhood streets and trees and the many parks. I like zipping around on MAX and the Streetcar. I don't mind the downtown panhandlers who might ask for change, as I've never felt physically threatened or unsafe, not even over in Old Town. I like the loopy KEEP PORTLAND WEIRD bumperstickers and the pockets of greenies all over town. I like the Portland Art Museum which certainly isn't huge but it has a great cross-section of history in the art and great traveling exhibits. I love OMSI and our submarine. I love the microbrewpubs and the coffee houses.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:14 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
are you staying in Oregon though?
i agree, great post!
Tiffany

Old 10-28-2007, 09:18 PM

18 posts, read 173,043 times
The only way I'll ever leave Portland is being dragged, kicking and screaming against my will. I love it here more and more every single day.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:41 PM

110 posts, read 261,657 times
Default Minneapolis

Minneapolis, MN is very compariable to Portland...only difference is that you can get more for your money in terms of housing..mainly due to the fact that Minneapolis is very urban sprawlish...think Houston TX; unlike Portland that has been very well managed geographically speaking. So...house costs, on average are the same in both places (Portland will surpass fairly quickly); but there is more diversity of areas and price ranges both above and below the average in the Twin Cities--compared to Portland.

Hope that gives you another option.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:29 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
[QUOTE=ferr0052;1855415]Minneapolis, MN is very compariable to Portland...only difference is that you can get more for your money in terms of housing..mainly due to the fact that Minneapolis is very urban sprawlish...think Houston TX; unlike Portland that has been very well managed geographically speaking. So...house costs, on average are the same in both places (Portland will surpass fairly quickly); but there is more diversity of areas and price ranges both above and below the average in the Twin Cities--compared to Portland.

Hope that gives you another option.[/quote]

The Twin Cities is indeed in many ways comparable to Portland. But I must say housing in the TC is less than in Portland. I was in Portland this summer, and have searched and searched and found this to be true.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:58 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
except for um, the climate, the people, and the fact that it's in minnesota...

Old 10-29-2007, 09:06 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
are you staying in Oregon though?
i agree, great post!
Tiffany
Yep, moving west and east, to about halfway between Crater Lake NP and Klamath Falls, to live on a snowy -but sunny - hilltop all winter. My lovely little passive solar house (with radiant floors and solar hot water) is almost finished. Yay!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:53 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
[Best of luck to you PNW, and may you be as happy later as you are now!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:45 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
Oh Wow PNW!!! That is BEAUTIFUL up there!!!!! Oh my gosh, Im envious!!! The scenery up that way is the stuff movies are made of. YOu'll have to post some pics when you get your new home done.
Im very glad for you that you'll be staying here in Oregon!
We'd thought of moving out of state before, but just nothing out there appealing enough for us to move away from all that is offered here.
We did move from the Portland area down to the southern Ore. coast though...but still enjoy going up to Portland fairly frequently to do/see all that is offered up there. LOVE IT!!!
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland