Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Around when did Portland get it's reputation for being liberal, left-wing.etc? And also for being relatively irreligious, at least in terms of Christianity. I saw a documentary on Billy Graham where they say Portland was the most 'Godless city in America' which got me wondering why this should be the case.

Was it the influx of California hippies after the 60s? If so wouldn't it have a lot of New Ager types, moreso than straight Atheists? Or is that the case, more New Age/Eastern religion/Liberal Christianity instead of Atheism?

Was Portland as conservative as say, the Midwest prior to say the 60s? Was it also a pretty racist place? Or has it always been somewhat progressive like Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
Oregon as a whole has always been pretty unchurched. That started with the original settlers who built homes and businesses instead of churches.

Portland and Oregon was very racist and had exclusion laws in the state constitution until 1927. Old habits die hard and while Portland is known far and wide as a liberal bastion there are still undercurrents. Oregon is a very white state and you can still grow up in places without much first hand knowledge of people who are not your race.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:10 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,308 times
I believe it was a historically Republican city, but the kind of Republicanism in Portland was similar to that found in some other West Coast cities such as San Francisco-socially progressive, reformist Republicanism, opposed to political machines and corruption.

Some of the major events in its history include the 1934 waterfront strike, which many Portland longshoremen participated in. They voted to arbitrate, and the arbitration decision improved working conditions, pay, and hours. Also, organized crime was big in Portland in the 1940s and 1950s, so it wasn't immune to corruption.

There are some other factors that should be looked at:

1) Portland, as its name suggests, is a big port city, which means that a lot of different people from different cultural backgrounds came to it. Such cosmopolitanism generally breeds a rather socially progressive atmosphere.

2) Oregon has had many Republican state officials in its history, but like I said before, they were often left-leaning on social issues and foreign policy-in fact, there was one Senator in the mid-20th century who was a Republican AND a Democrat (or Independent?) at different points in his career, and strongly opposed the Vietnam War.

3) Portland in particular has seen a lot of growth in its artistic community, as well as its high-tech economy (the so-called "creative class"). Many of these people are post-graduates, some of them are gay, many are single or otherwise "unconventional" in their family background and marital status. All of this makes the culture decidedly left-leaning, especially on social issues.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:14 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Around when did Portland get it's reputation for being liberal, left-wing.etc?

Was it the influx of California hippies after the 60s?
Yes. This is the 100% answer. As the Californians came in the liberalism went up. Same in Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Was Portland as conservative as say, the Midwest prior to say the 60s? Was it also a pretty racist place? Or has it always been somewhat progressive like Boston?
It was very conservative. Maybe too conservative. It was also racist. It's a litle known secret that this was a fairly racist city in the 1950's and 1960's. I've read some articles about it and it's pretty shameful.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:02 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
I remember racist skinheads around Portland until the early '90's.

I would say that Portland's major changes started in the mid to late 80's early '90's.

Until then, it was pretty much a bland Oregon small city.

That time frame is about the time we got "discovered".

Old 08-14-2012, 02:05 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
I don't think that people who were willing to uproot their families and travel 2000+ miles across country with a higher then average likelihood of dying along the way are by definition Conservative.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I don't think that people who were willing to uproot their families and travel 2000+ miles across country with a higher then average likelihood of dying along the way are by definition Conservative.
I don't think that's the context for the initial question. Political conservatism (social, fiscal, etc.) is not the same thing as being adventurous and seeking out new lands and opportunities, IMHO.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:45 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
It was shameful by today's standards but well before the advent of the civil rights laws many community organizations not only fought against that but changed the practices of places that served the public. Back in the 40s the Chapman Grade School PTA held a luncheon at a leading hotel which tried to not serve a Black member. My mother and the other women attending told the hotel that they must serve all in the group or they would make a scene as they left as a group. No more issues with service to Blacks in that hotel. There was not outright segregation but there was discrimination.

Blacks were not the only group to be discriminated against, women were as well in the workplace and in credit. When I married one retailer canceled my credit cards and required that I re-apply under my husband's name. Need I say I didn't patronize them again?

Even then the community was largely un-churched but it is basically main line Protestant. Moderator cut: off topic

Remember that most of the folks who came over the Oregon Trail in the mid 1800s were from Missouri and brought southern attitudes with them which were reflected in early laws.

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-14-2012 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-14-2012, 04:40 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
1. The neo-conservative undercurrent is huge in the metro area, they all just got pushed out to places like battle ground, Camas, Sherwood, Camby Mollalla. etc. You'll find most Oregonians to be moderate or independent whether they think so or not.

2. There are a lot of churches and high membership in the outlying areas. Seventh-Day Adventists and Mormons have a large presence in Portland, they just don't go announcing it to the world.

3. Portland is passive aggressive with it's racism. People will disagree, but Portlanders have always talked out of one side of their mouth about diversity. They want to seem welcoming and not racist. But covertly they try to keep diversity to a minimum. The weather is probably the biggest factor keeping Portland mostly white.

4. It was all the Californians in the 80's and 90's. Now it's the internet, with all these articles about Portland being so weird and livable. Now, every idiot with tattoos piercings and an Art Degree think they have to come here, because everyone here is unique just like them.

5. Ask my grandpa and father or uncles what they think of having a black president or gays getting married. Then ask my cousins and siblings. Its a generational thing, influenced a lot by the media. The city changed greatly in the 70's from ultra conservative to liberal.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Portland does most definitely have a pretty ugly past, but the big thing that kept the area from being a huge draw was the lack of a big employer that would attract a wide cross section of people. The shipyards drew people in during WW2, but after the war ended and the Vanport flood took out the biggest section of employee housing, there wasn't a reason to stay, not like the way people stayed in Los Angeles after the war to keep working in aviation and defense.

The "Silicon Forest" tech industry didn't really kick in to gear into the late 70s and even at the height the manufacturing portion wasn't as big a percentage of employment as other high tech areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland