Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times

Advertisements

EnricoV has it right.

And Katz wasn't as "well loved" as you may think. There were and still are some pretty strong opinions about her reign.

I can honestly say that most Portland transplants I've met love the green, the "nature", the outdoor activities, the food carts etc....all the fun stuff Portland has to offer, but could care less about local politics or have any "vision" about Portlands future.

As far as voting goes, they vote for whoever they think is "cool" and "wierd" and furthers the "Portlandia" stereotype, because they have no history or clue about the "real" Portland, and they don't care.

As long as they can ride their bike, find a food cart and have a local microbrew, they are happy.

They are here for the cool and fun factors, and the "now".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You fail, here, Enrico, assuming that's your name. Wasn't Vera Katz, obviously very much a New Yorker and very Jewish, a well-loved Portland mayor? She evidently appealed to Portland's liberal and granola sensibilities. I'm sure entire swaths of inner SE and Multnomah Village reliably voted for her.
You fail, Mr. Polyglot, assuming that's your name (which I don't. I mean, you do understand the concept of user names on the interent?) to understand that when I say "personally" I'm speaking for myself. I would not dare to presume, as so many others do, to give opinions for anyone but myself.

Considering that Vera was elected, and re-elected, you're no doubt correct that a lot of people voted for her. Personally (get that ... speaking only for MYSELF) I never did. Didn't like the woman, her politics, nor her little band of cronies with which we're still dealing. Unfortunately, others didn't have my great and clear vision.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Didn't like the woman, her politics, nor her little band of cronies with which we're still dealing. Unfortunately, others didn't have my great and clear vision.
Correct. She was not likable, I was oblivious to her politics, and her groupies were sycophants who are still around.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
What I find interesting is your attitude, in that you've basically told outsiders NOT to expect acceptance.
To put it in very simple terms that I hope everybody can understand, I meant that outsiders should not expect to find blanket acceptance just because they show up here. Why should they?

It does not work that way here, nor anywhere else I have ever lived.

Californian or not, you might be the greatest person in the world, but that does not mean I have to like you or accept you into my circle of friends without knowing anything about you.

Honestly, if a person feels the way you say after talking with an Oregonian (and how would YOU know whether they are a "native" or not?), it sounds like more of an insecurity and self-esteem issue on their part rather than the other way around.

And I think you are using very old experiences of interactions with Oregonians that just don't really apply that much anymore.

I've said my piece. This garbage has been hashed and rehashed many times on this forum, so I am not going to further the silly native/transplant/Californian trolling any more.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-03-2012 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I've said my piece. This garbage has been hashed and rehashed many times on this forum, so I am not going to further the silly native/transplant/Californian trolling any more.
Actually, dude, the thread was about politics ... and Smith's reference to Grant, which was annoying, and his current issues with an old legal hassle, in which he was probably 100% in the clear.

Go Jesuit ... if I had to pick one! Have a good day.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
The topic is local Portland politics. Discussion (yet again) about the alleged animus against Californians is off topic. We have plenty of existing threads about that. Take the discussion there, please.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM

Given Smith's record (which you really should research a little more thouroughly Moderator cut: snip), I do not think think he has a snowballs chance in winning anyway.
But, this is Portland, so who knows?

I believe Hales will just further the current direction of Portland being a "theme park" and keep pushing uneeded expensive projects that are good for the image of Portland but in the end will be financially disastrous for the average Portland citizen.

I believe at this point in time, Portland should get a handle on the basics, like infrastructure and neighborhood issues, and quit wasting money.

We either get a politically unproven goofball (that went to Grant, by the way) or another Sam Adams without all the drama.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-03-2012 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Enough with the "dude" comments, please.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 PM

170 posts, read 193,996 times
i so wanted eileen brady to end up being one of the contenders, but maybe next time!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thequeen1 View Post
i so wanted eileen brady to end up being one of the contenders, but maybe next time!
I preferred her over the other two as well.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:46 PM

The intersting thing about Portland politics is that nobody really cares.
As far as the media and the citizens general knowledge goes, it ends at the Mayoral level and stops.

Does anybody even wonder who really pulls the strings in this town?
I mean come on.
I've always thought that Portland city government tries to control the citizens with an iron fist, and the apathetic citizens of this town just roll over and take it. It should be the other way around.

Who are the moneyed old Portland families of influence?
Has the town become a real estate developers playground?
Is it really true that we are still in the hold of the Goldschmidt regime of the '70s?

Who established the "future vision" for this town, and who are the players that plan and drive it's future?

From what I've seen through the years, it's definately not the citizens of Portland, or Adams, Hales or Smith.

They are all just followers.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-07-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland