Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

I have just returned from three fantastic weeks in Oregon, based in Portland but touring around and I wanted to say how much I enjoyed it all. Hubby and I had the most fabulous time, I could not believe how friendly everyone was.

In three weeks we met one grumpy person and every single other person was so friendly and helpful it really was a hard place to leave. Portland might not be the prettiest city in the world but it is such a lovely, warm, and wonderful place, so many different and unique neighbourhoods, a lovely laid back feeling , and for the size it really feels more like a big town.

We adored watching "Portlandia" on TV which was really funny and so self deprecating too. And the FOOD. My goodness you eat so well in Portland ! I could not believe the sheer quality of food from street food carts to restaurants. And I have to say that "Boulangerie St Honore" is one of the best Boulangeries in the world never mind the US and that includes France.

Oregon as a State is not too shabby either, so much stunning scenery and so much to see and do. Way too big of course for an only three weeks vacation but I suppose it gives us an excuse to go back.

So Portlanders and Oregonians, thank you so much for a totally fabulous time, for being so warm and friendly, welcoming and open and you are lucky people. You live in a great city, with a wonderful environment and fabulous scenic beauty. I can honestly say that with Maine I have never met such delightfully friendly people as Oregonians. We popped in across the State line to Washington on a few occasions and it was quite a difference...

The only negative was seeing so many homeless people , a really sad sight , it breaks your heart and I hope a solution can be found for long term housing for these people as it does blight anotherwise amazing place to live. The irony is we went to the Portland Museum of Contemporary Craft and they had a truly fascinating, inspiring and positive exhibition on finding solutions of slum dwellers in the majority world and the political will to solve homelessness at home still seems lacking.

I most certainly hope to return in not too distant a future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I am delighted you had a wonderful visit and yes, St. Honore is wonderful. Most of their guests are from the immediate neighborhood.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,283 times
I'm glad you had such a great time! My experience when I visited in the late 1990s was much the same – which was why I decided to move here. Now it's 14 years later, and I still feel the same about Portland, Oregon, and the PNW in general.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:17 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
... ...
In three weeks we met one grumpy person
... ...
Sorry about that. I was having a bad hair day.

When you come back let me know, and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:59 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Sorry about that. I was having a bad hair day.

When you come back let me know, and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.
I'll take you up on the offer but unless you are about 65 , are female and have bouffant hair ( hence the bad hair day perhaps ?!?!) and a "sucking lemons" expression I don't think it was you !! I'll still take that coffee nonetheless. "The Pied Cow" on Belmont , in a couple of years ?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
There were transients in the 1950's. Every trip I make back, I check to see that they are still around, and I am never disappointed. Guess they must like rainy towns, too.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:15 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation.

The homeless aren't as badly off as you might imagine. I suspect that if they weren't so well housed and fed, they might wander off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland