Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 AM

24 posts, read 27,750 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are possibly moving to Oregon in 2013 beginning. My husband will be taking up a new project with a company in Beaverton area (map shows its close to mcmillan pak, Raleigh hills). I am from SoCal and know nothing about Beaverton. I read about the weather etc and am prepared for the drastic difference. What I need to now is - what are some good neighborhoods around that area to move our family with young kids and 2 dogs. One of which is a 60lb lab. I currently homeschool my kids through a charter school hybrid program so it would be nice to have a similar option or really good public school options. We need to rent 3 bedroom (preferably house instead of apt. due to dogs) and budget will be under $1300. Is this going to be hard? My husband doesn't mind driving a bit for work since he drives about 14 miles right now, if there is a huge difference in areas by renting a little further away. However, we need the location to be safe, dog friendly and preferably close to work.
Cn someone help answer my questions please? What are your thoughts/experience on that area and nearby areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
I can't think of a neighborhood that isn't "good" in the Beaverton area, or even any on the west side of the Willamette River (live on the same side of the river as the job location). Rental housing is tight, very tight. The Tualitan Valley Recreation District has lots of youth programs. I recommend trying to find something in that park district particularly if you might home school. The public schools are good, filled with children with families similar to your own. Matters of faith do not enter the classroom.

I am not a renter so have no personal experience but I don't think $1,300/mo will get you much of a house. For example my son is renting out a 2 bedroom 'stump-town' (aka, built before the days of inside plumbing) house across from a railroad line for $1,000/mo, no pets.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
The only bad neighborhoods in Beaverton are sorta along Allen Blvd, Off of Hall and Cedar Hills, and the strip of apartments between Milikian and Electric. Parts of TV through Aloha can be considered bad but that's technically unincorporated Washington County.

Really though, they're only "bad" compared to the rest of Beaverton. It's not like you're going to have bodies in the parking lot and drug dealers living next door.

PadMapper has quite a few 3db apartments that look like they accept dogs at the $1300 price mark, and a couple of houses that are the same. Who knows if they charge extra per month for pets though.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 PM

Thank you for your inputs. One more question, does it snow in Beaverton?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:58 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash_g80 View Post
Thank you for your inputs. One more question, does it snow in Beaverton?
Only when it snows in Portland. About once every other year.

Black Ice is a bigger concern then snow.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:05 PM

Ok so it looks like we might have to look for rentals online and may not get a chance to come down first to look around. I am hoping someone can help me a little with narrowing down the areas. I mentioned my husband will be working in Raleigh hills area. I saw some homes in our budget (<$1300) in Hillsboro, Tigard, tualatin, etc. I read somewhere that travel time is longer there. Ideally I would like to live close to hubby's work. I am most probably going to continue homeschooling my kids so school is not a big issue however we do need activities around for them. They will sign up for sports, etc too and one is on the swim team here. Lake Oswego seems very expensive although nice.. Can someone please suggest a family friendly, dog friendly neighborhood close to kids activities like parks, sports, swim team, etc? Also, if you have lived n an apartment complex worth recommending, can you kindly share your experience?
TIA

Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,610 times
we looked at hotpads.com and padmapper.com; but ultimately found our rental house through a realtor before it was advertised for rent. we pay around 1800 for a large 3br in garden home (Oleson & Vermont). i think finding a 3br house that allows dogs will be very tough for your price range - the further west you go the cheaper it will (probably) be. we do not have pets but it seems to me that many places are not dog friendly to renters, which i found surprising. Raleigh hills is a nice area, the neighborhood is older and well-kept; many of the homes are quite large and $$. I don't know about apartment complexes here; Davemess rented in this area before he bought his house, if he's not around maybe try sending him a PM.

THPRD.org will have all the activities you could want. there are several rec centers around, plenty of things for the kids to do.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:19 PM

Thank you Christiner81. Did you find a realtor online? I wonder if that would be easier way of finding an apartment/house considering we can't look in person..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland