Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 25,720 times

Advertisements

I posted a long winded post asking about the diversity in Portland...so i'll keep it short.....what's up with the diversity in your city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 05:30 AM

64 posts, read 360,817 times
see your other post...

Portland is the whitest city in America.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,907 times
Although is the whitest it's not like there isn't any diversity there black Asians (mainly chinese/vietnamese) in fact it is on the list for us cities with large populations of^. But yeah there are many phi restaurants dim sum places and a chinatown but the 'new' Chinatown is on SE 82 ave. The blacks live mainly in the me around mlk jr blvd and rosa parks blvd but many are moving to gresham which is a suburb the Hispanic is increng it's about 8 % and asian 7% and black 7%

Old 01-18-2009, 01:10 AM

252 posts, read 961,088 times
Portland is not very ethnically diverse, compared to other large US cities. It is fairly diverse in other ways. There are lots of counter cultural types, gays, artists, musicians, etc. Portlanders are pretty tollerant of differences, but most Portlanders are themselves white.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:35 PM

178 posts, read 584,817 times
Excellent article in today's Oregonian titled 'In a changing world, Portland remains overwhelmingly white'. Apparently, demographics show Portland as even whiter than Salt Lake City at this point.

As Sam Adams says, this is neither good nor bad but a fact that should be acknowledged. The article has a lot on the history of Oregon and why it was seen as a less friendly place to minorities than other nearby states like California and Washington.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Portland is far from "the whitest city in America". But, for arguments sake, let's say it was. What exactly is that supposed to mean? Should there be a forced bussing campaign to bring inner city residents of L.A. up to Portland to achieve 'diversity'? Should there be an immediate embargo on relocation to PDX because it fails as a city to adhere to the diversity thresholds mandated by common sense? I don't get where the comes from. You want to visit some whitebread cities? I've got some for you to try: Clawson, MI; Royal Oak, MI; Livonia, MI; Winsted, CT; Storrs, CT. I am sure there are others but I've actually been to the ones named. I also don't understand what is meant by "diversity" because Portland has many, many people of Hispanic origin, Asian (east and south) and even African American. Perhaps because Portland does not have large, well developed ghetto's like Watts, Compton, Detroit, Bed-Stuy, South Chicago where ethnic residents live in large communities? Is that the problem? Well, as an escapee from a large New York ghetto I say that such constructs are overrated. Portland would be wise not to listen to the hankerin's of a few and continue to be what it appears to be. A pretty cool place to call home.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland