Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 PM
J24 J24 started this thread

448 posts, read 863,818 times

Advertisements

I'm 23. I just moved to Portland, OR from Oklahoma. I work in a small office that is made up of 2 other guys, both of them a decent amount older than I am. At the moment, I'm living alone, but I do have a roommate that will be moving here in about 2 weeks. The only person I know in the city (aside from the 2 co-workers) is that roommate's girlfriend who lives here. Before you tell me to have her introduce me to her friends, she isn't exactly the type of person who would have friends who would be the type of girls I am looking for (she's 24, still lives at home with her parents, has no job, was home-schooled and went to a Bible college; the type of girl I have to try and hold my tongue around).

So, where do I meet girls my age? I'm probably about 20-30 minutes from downtown Portland which is where I'm sure most of the nightlife is. Do I go down there alone? Do I start frequenting the bars around here by myself? I'm really at a loss. I recently graduated from college in May, so I never really had to look far to find people my age. I do know about online dating, and I've considered that, but obviously I'd rather just meet someone in person if there's a way to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 04:27 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,583 times
Meetup groups are probably your best bet. You can search for activities according to where your interests lie, and go from there. Unless you're interested in the bar/club scene - then by all means, go forth and conquer.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Go outside, go to a bar, go get food, go do your daily activities, live your life normally... do whatever

When you see a good looking girl.. just talk to her. Simple as that.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,746 times
I feel you, I just moved back to the west coast after 3 years in central Canada only I'm not living in my hometown.

So yeah, I did the online dating thing but I've also managed to meet people by checking out things that interest me on meetup.com, at the dog park, at yoga, and have considered going to things such as Rotary and Toastmasters (not sure if you have those but basically clubs for public speaking/volunteering - that sort of thing). Other good mixes of people volunteer with Big Brothers or Habitat for Humanity if that's your bag. Big Brothers puts on lots of events for all members - at least in my experience when I spent a year volunteering before I moved back here. I'm hesitant to commit now though because I don't know that I want to stay here.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
I'm in the same situation 2000 miles away. If you're willing to approach women, try finding a regular coffee shop and a bar that attracts young people. Hobbies and meetup groups are great, but I think it's mostly important just to get yourself out and about. You'll never meet anyone sitting at home.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM

264 posts, read 309,136 times
Downtown is not necessarily where it's at in most larger cities. Depending on what kind of scene you're into, check out neighborhoods like Boise, the Pearl, Skidmore, Hawthorne..

Old 12-09-2012, 04:58 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,362 times
Welcome to Portland. Do you live on the west side or the east side?

Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 PM
J24 J24 started this thread

448 posts, read 863,818 times
Uhhh, I don't know what side you'd call it, haha. I live in the Gladstone/Milwaukie area.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,362 times
Ahh so south of town then but on the east side. There are several quality meat markets on the east side (not sure if you're into that kind of thing or not). The Refectory at 122nd and Halsey can be fun and if you eat in the restaurant instead of the club, you're destined for a pretty decent meal.

There are lots of pool teams and darts teams around, there are also many co-ed soccer leagues both indoor and outdoor. As was mentioned the Hawthorne district can be a cool place to hang out. There are tons of parks to walk or bike in, I'm guessing that would give you some opportunities to meet women. My favourite is Mt. Tabor park.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,711,006 times
Don't try and meet girls in bars, there are plenty of ways to put yourself in a position to meet women. Bring your fancy Apple laptop and sit in Starbucks and pretend you're doing something important! Girls love guys who love Starbucks! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland