Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM

18 posts, read 63,899 times

Advertisements

Why don't the homeless just get jobs in Portland? I'm sure there are people who are on drugs and have mental illnesses, but what about the one's who don't? I constantly read about how there is such a bad homeless problem and I think to myself why don't they just work a temp job like Manpower, or work menial jobs to have some money to save? Is the employment situation there so bad that even McDonald's and other average minimum wage jobs aren't hiring?

It's difficult for me to understand,because if I were in that situation I'd take any job! Maybe it's hard for the homeless to get jobs there? But if that were the case I'd think because the people were so used to seeing homeless people begging and wandering that employers would be happy to give a decent homeless person a job. Am I mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,862,446 times
While your question is very troll-like. I will bite.

From what I can tell, there can be a good living by "not working" in this town. You can get your meals for free, your lodging for free, your telephone for free, some medical care for free and further - what cash you do make by begging is tax free.

I do not like this attitude but in Portland, not being a contrnbuting member of society is generally accepted.

It is always interesting to me when I see the beggars talking on smart phones. It happens a lot!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,874 times
Have you ever considered that many of the homeless here might not actually be from here? Our winters are somewhat mild so if you're homeless here, you're less likely to freeze to death.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,837,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf67 View Post
It's difficult for me to understand,because if I were in that situation I'd take any job! Maybe it's hard for the homeless to get jobs there? But if that were the case I'd think because the people were so used to seeing homeless people begging and wandering that employers would be happy to give a decent homeless person a job. Am I mistaken? [/font]
Completely.

In a competitive job market (which Portland is, particularly in the low-skill, low-wage jobs), why would an employer even consider an applicant without a stable address, without a stable work history or contact number? Too many other applicants out there.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
While your question is very troll-like. I will bite.

From what I can tell, there can be a good living by "not working" in this town. You can get your meals for free, your lodging for free, your telephone for free, some medical care for free and further - what cash you do make by begging is tax free.

I do not like this attitude but in Portland, not being a contrnbuting member of society is generally accepted.

It is always interesting to me when I see the beggars talking on smart phones. It happens a lot!
I'm not a troll , but rather trying to understand the employment and homeless situation there. I hold nothing against the homeless because everyone's situation is different. Although begging is tax free.. It's gotta hurt the pride and soul just to get the basics.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Completely.

In a competitive job market (which Portland is, particularly in the low-skill, low-wage jobs), why would an employer even consider an applicant without a stable address, without a stable work history or contact number? Too many other applicants out there.
So the temp agencies don't have general labor jobs for the average Joe? And the shelters there must not provide stepping stones for the homeless to transition into employment?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Completely.

Exactly. It infuriates me when right wing/social Darwinian types scream "let them eat cake" when it comes to the poor. They don't understand how hard it is to get a job, if you don't have connections and a place to start from. What, being asked for a few cents once in a while inconveniences your life so much?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,177,234 times
Quote:
But if that were the case I'd think because the people were so used to seeing homeless people begging and wandering that employers would be happy to give a decent homeless person a job. Am I mistaken?
Employers don't even like to hire people with housing if they've been unemployed for any length of time, let alone someone who might be mentally ill, lack the facilities for good personal hygiene, not have a fixed address for job-related correspondence, or be on drugs. There are certainly young people in Portland who opt for the homeless lifestyle out of some misguided romantic notion or plain laziness, just as there were when I lived in San Francisco, and I have no sympathy for them. But many homeless people get locked in a downward spiral from which it's hard to climb out. And with the unemployment rate so high, employers can be very choosy and want employees with a solid, recent work history, not to mention a presentable appearance.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
So the temp agencies don't have general labor jobs for the average Joe? And the shelters there must not provide stepping stones for the homeless to transition into employment?
They help but it's still hardly a guarantee.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
It is very difficult to get a job if you don't have an address. Enployers will think you are a transient and will not hire you.
Also jobs at places like McDonald's are very difficult to come by because there is a tremendous competition for them. There are many people looking for work who are either unskilled or do have skills but those skills are not in demand.

The long and the short of it is that there are just too many people chasing after too few jobs.

Where do you live? If you lived in Portland you might have a grasp of the situation. Many people from outside like to criticize without understanding the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland