Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM

40 posts, read 79,858 times

Advertisements

So I'm trying to find a specific apartment complex that I want to live in later on this year, so I can print it out and put it on my vision board to manifest it into my life. So far, I'm in love with Golf Creek apartments. I need dog friendly, close to the Arboretum, and close to Forest Park. I'd also like an active apartment community.

How is the area that Golf Creek is in for not having a car, though? Click here for a map.

The website says Line 20 Trimet is within walking distance, and that's about it. No light rails or anything. Would this be a viable no-car option to live in?

Further - what are some good areas to look into with good public transit near Forest Park and the Arboretum?

Is Gresham a good option for Portland living? Or is it more of its own little city? The proximity to Portland confuses me, because it seems part of Portland. But addresses say "Gresham, OR" as if it is its own place.

Beaverton seems the same way. Are these not really "Portland"? The rents seem cheaper in these places, and more woodsy (which I am fond of), and still relatively close proximity to Portland's downtown. Are either of these good options for actual Portland living (and without a car)?

Last edited by BornJuju; 02-21-2013 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Broadened topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 01:23 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
That is not a good non-car location (in my opinion.) The closest MAX station is Sylvan, but if you look at the map there isn't a good way to walk there from those apartments.

If you have to be near Forest Park, try looking up around NW 23rd. The StreetCar goes through there and connects to MAX.

Beaverton and Gresham are both their own towns that grew up independently of Portland. Both have a population over 80k, so they're not little towns at all. Beaverton has the advantage of having an obvious dividing line of the West Hills. Gresham and Portland do bleed into each other at about 162nd. Or there abouts, I'd need to look up the exact line.

If you live near someplace like the Beaverton Transit center, then proximity to Downtown Portland is much better then anything in Gresham.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
That is not a good non-car location (in my opinion.) The closest MAX station is Sylvan, but if you look at the map there isn't a good way to walk there from those apartments.

If you have to be near Forest Park, try looking up around NW 23rd. The StreetCar goes through there and connects to MAX.

Beaverton and Gresham are both their own towns that grew up independently of Portland. Both have a population over 80k, so they're not little towns at all. Beaverton has the advantage of having an obvious dividing line of the West Hills. Gresham and Portland do bleed into each other at about 162nd. Or there abouts, I'd need to look up the exact line.

If you live near someplace like the Beaverton Transit center, then proximity to Downtown Portland is much better then anything in Gresham.
Okay, thanks for that info! I'm mostly trying to find a place based on being able to live car free, while having easy access to the outdoors of Forest Park and the Arboretum. Hopefully the Japanese Gardens too. And street car would be nice, for hiking day trips or something. I can work my job around where I want to live.

That clears up my questions with Beaverton and Gresham. I'll check out those areas, and areas near the Beaverton transit center. (Though if I end up in Beaverton, do you think I wouldn't get "the most" out of PDX living?)

Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornJuju View Post

That clears up my questions with Beaverton and Gresham. I'll check out those areas, and areas near the Beaverton transit center. (Though if I end up in Beaverton, do you think I wouldn't get "the most" out of PDX living?)
It'll take marginally more work, but still doable. You're adding about ten minutes on the MAX. Highway 26 has a rush hour into PDX on weekend days. The MAX can be as crowded as a work week. All these people are going into Portland for a reason.

A better question is what do you consider "the most" for Portland? Downtown is frankly pretty boring compared to other areas, so your desire to live near it is a bit puzzling to me. Outside of Powell's Books, Saturday Market and a few other locations, there really isn't a lot to do or see. NW 23rd and the Pearl District are interesting, but if I wanted to experience "Portland" I'd try to be near Mississippi, Alberta or Hawthorn.

I'd also ride my bike instead of relying on Trimet.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
It'll take marginally more work, but still doable. You're adding about ten minutes on the MAX. Highway 26 has a rush hour into PDX on weekend days. The MAX can be as crowded as a work week. All these people are going into Portland for a reason.

A better question is what do you consider "the most" for Portland? Downtown is frankly pretty boring compared to other areas, so your desire to live near it is a bit puzzling to me. Outside of Powell's Books, Saturday Market and a few other locations, there really isn't a lot to do or see. NW 23rd and the Pearl District are interesting, but if I wanted to experience "Portland" I'd try to be near Mississippi, Alberta or Hawthorn.

I'd also ride my bike instead of relying on Trimet.
Well, my main attractions to Portland, aside from Forest Park and the gardens, are Powell's Books and Saturday Market. :P I just figured downtown was the "happening" place, haha. I guess I'll check out the other areas then. I'm mostly interested in farmers markets, outdoors and nature, and books. But now and again I like to go out to a gay bar or a regular bar (but I seldom drink). Pearl seems far too expensive, but I'll check out NW 23rd, too.

And biking as opposed to Trimet, huh? Guess I need to get in better shape! :P

Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Beaverton is a nice suburb but it is a suburb. It isn't the city. So if you are lookin for a city neighborhood you will want to stick to the city. The things you want you will find in the areas along NW, Alberta or Hawthorne for example.

I live along Hawthorne Blvd. I would recommend it for you. It was once a really popular place for gays, it still is but not as great a population as once before. It's just a 10-15 bus ride to downtown and all the bars etc. on the Hawthorne bus line and about 5-6 blocks to the Belmont line which will also take you downtown in less time and directly on to NW with all its attractions.

Hawthorne Blvd itself has bars, shops, movie theaters, restaraunts; you name it it's there. It also has nice neighborhoods off the blvd. it isn't inexpensive but it isn't Pearl prices either. Check it out when you visit. I have lived in the neighborhood without a car for around twenty years since before it was popular and I love it here.

The one thing is though, it is not near a MAX line so if that is your wish to live near a MAX station, you will have to travel downtown to get to one.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
I disagree, in that I don't find the downtown area boring. Of course, a lot depends on what you like to do. Downtown is where you'll find concert halls, music venues, live theater, sporting arenas, museums, etc. In addition to restaurants and shopping. It's where festivals, etc. are held, at Waterfront Park and Pioneer Square.

Not to take away from the neighborhoods, but you'll only find those things on a much smaller scale, if all of them, at all.

If it were me, I'd look at the area around Jeld-Wen Field or so. The MAX line runs by the field, giving you easy an commute to Hillsboro.

Don't know anything about this property management company, but they always have listings of apartments in that area that look like places I'd like to live: Capital Property Management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland