Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
If you honestly think that, you would REALLY be surprised on how many do....

Didn't say none did, I said many don't. Many can't stand being ten feet from a Starbuck's, Cell Tower, or Paved Street. In general most "Most" city dwellers have no interest in leaving the city. But thousands do every year. Tens of Thousands out of Millions.

The national statistics say about 25% of all people go camping. The majority of rural residents do not camp as often as city dwellers, and when they do camp, it is in a major national or scenic park, or area. When your view, like mine of the Coast Range, is so great, it is hard to be impressed with anything that is not unique. I guess for rural liver's everyday is a campout.

Although I live rural, I camp 30 days or more every year. Most city dwellers camp 3 to 5 days a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Next Adventure

The bargains are down in the basement (and sometimes up in the loft). A lot of it is overpriced military surplus or military-wannabe stuff, but every now and then there is something good. There is a true military surplus place out in Happy Valley somewhere, but someone else is going to have to tell you the name of it, as I don't remember.

There is (or was) a hardware store about 2 blocks north of Next Adventure that was one of the best places to buy Coleman parts and repair items - I confess that I have ditched the Coleman fuel stuff for propane power and am very happy for the change, particularly on cold mornings at high altitude.

There is (or was) a little Greek hole-in-the-wall places right between the two that was very good.

It's been 5-6 years since I was down there, so YMMV.
Just some corrections, Next Adventure has made the leap to new goods mostly. They still have some used equipment down in the basement but nothing like they used to have. None of it is military surplus anymore. But, Andy and Bax is up the street a few blocks and does have some military surplus plus non-surplus gear for decent prices.

Nicolai's is the Greek place you're talking about and it is VERY good. They also have a second location on Broadway and 32nd-ish. Both can get very busy, so go early, make reservations, or expect to wait 30-45 minutes for a table.

The Army Surplus store in Damascus closed several years ago and moved to Boring on SE 282nd. I'm not sure if they were kicked out or just needed bigger digs. I have not been in since they moved, despite having grown up a block from there, so I'm not sure what they do have these days. But it's comforting to know where to buy a ton and a half deuce if I ever need one!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:56 PM

347 posts, read 669,792 times
Yosemite is mostly open in May. It's also the best time to see the waterfalls - highest flow is right around May and June. Obviously check before going though, the sierra nevadas are notorious for getting random snowstorms. Seems like it might be a warm spring though so you should be fine.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
I'm not sure if it's worth trekking to Washington County, but Aloha Surplus is still there on TV Highway at 177th: Aloha Surplus > Home

Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 AM

131 posts, read 277,907 times
Thanks everyone very much! I'm gonna check out the places mentioned for some gear...I'll update everyone in a few weeks.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin'bones View Post
Thanks everyone very much! I'm gonna check out the places mentioned for some gear...I'll update everyone in a few weeks.
I still say Bi-Mart is cheeper than used.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:26 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin'bones View Post
Hi everyone. I am going on a camping trip for two weeks in May (first two weeks of May)...car camping style, in a tent. Going to swing by Crater Lake and on to Redwood National park and then turn around in Yosemite.

Anyone want to throw out some must see's....or words of advice??! Thanks!
Haven't been ina while but Joseph H. Stewart rec area by Lost Creek Res has always been a fun area for campin, fishin,etc. Close to Shady Cove.

It's about 40 mile from Crater Lake. On the way pull over & see the Wild & Scenic spots along the Rogue River... Beautiful chipmunkees live thar.

Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department: Joseph H. Stewart State Recreation Area

Have a Wonderful Adventure...

Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Haven't been ina while but Joseph H. Stewart rec area by Lost Creek Res has always been a fun area for campin, fishin,etc. Close to Shady Cove.

It's about 40 mile from Crater Lake. On the way pull over & see the Wild & Scenic spots along the Rogue River... Beautiful chipmunkees live thar.

Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department: Joseph H. Stewart State Recreation Area

Have a Wonderful Adventure...
And have a piece of pie at Becky's!

Old 03-26-2013, 12:15 AM

131 posts, read 277,907 times
perfect! I love these suggestions!

Old 03-31-2013, 05:16 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
And have a piece of pie at Becky's!
& a soft serve ice cream cone when the weather is warm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland