Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,920 times

Advertisements

How do you compare between Bethany Vs Beaverton or Hillsboro in general?
What do you think the future of Bethany will be say 5-10 years down the road ?
Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 12:19 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
Beaverton is an older community than Bethany. I don't really understand your question about Bethany's future?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,350 times
to me, Bethany is soccer moms and cookie cutter suburbia, moreso than beaverton. They have some of the better schools in beaverton and some of the newest homes. Personally, I like established older neighborhoods and homes that have a little more space between them. There is something about brand new construction of homes with tiny yards right next to rolling farmland that bothers me a bit. I can understand why people would want that, but it isn't preferable to me.

beaverton and hillsboro are much bigger and have more variety, i'm not really sure they're comparable to a small community area like Bethany. 5-10 years down the road i think bethany will still be a desireable place to live because the schools are good. The proximity to the PCC campus there is really nice too.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Bethany is the nasty suburbs that everyone loves to hate. That entire area was farmland just twenty years ago. Now it's nothing but cookie cutter neighborhood after neighborhood.

I have nothing to back this up, must my gut feeling is that most people in that area are Intel employees. Many of whom are transitionary and will be moving on eventually.

My biggest problem with the entire area though is that it's not convenient to much. It takes time along over crowded roads to get to the highway. Stores and shopping are a few miles away. Few of the roads were built pedestrian or bike friendly. Even typical needs such as parks, churches and doctors can be miles away.

In your time frame, I don't think it's going to change much. Intel will still likely be the biggest employer and the population will tend to be short timers and technical. The prospect of infilling with commercial spaces is not possible in most places, so walkability and livability are going to remain low.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
Actually there is a lot of park space along the electrical transmission line right of way, running trails, children's playground and the like

Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,028,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I have nothing to back this up, must my gut feeling is that most people in that area are Intel employees. Many of whom are transitionary and will be moving on eventually.
Why do you say Intel employees are transitionary? The pay is pretty good.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
i've heard that intel is known for being a high-stress workplace where people don't tend to last long. they also bring in people from all over the world who may not want to reside in the US forever.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I don't remember the exact percentage, but Intel is #1 or #2 company with the most H1 Visas in the Country. (Microsoft is the other.) Most of those are Indians who only work here for two to five years.

On top of that, Intel relies heavily on contractors, 12 months on, six months off. Most of those are lower paying jobs, in the $20/hour range for specific projects. Most of the people I know who work those contracts do two or three, then get tired of being unemployed for six months at a time. With their skill sets that means moving to Austin, SF or Seattle for a full time non-contract job.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,920 times
Cookie cutter neighborhoods ? Umm ... Now i don't understand why on earth zipcode 97229 is second or third most expendsive in Portland metro.
Maybe those who currently live there can explain the reason why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Bethany is the nasty suburbs that everyone loves to hate. That entire area was farmland just twenty years ago. Now it's nothing but cookie cutter neighborhood after neighborhood.

My biggest problem with the entire area though is that it's not convenient to much. It takes time along over crowded roads to get to the highway. Stores and shopping are a few miles away. Few of the roads were built pedestrian or bike friendly. Even typical needs such as parks, churches and doctors can be miles away.

In your time frame, I don't think it's going to change much. Intel will still likely be the biggest employer and the population will tend to be short timers and technical. The prospect of infilling with commercial spaces is not possible in most places, so walkability and livability are going to remain low.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
Cookie cutter neighborhoods ? Umm ... Now i don't understand why on earth zipcode 97229 is second or third most expendsive in Portland metro.
Maybe those who currently live there can explain the reason why.
Because it's close to all the Intel plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland