Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:16 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,383,469 times

Advertisements

It is still a work zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 PM

2,153 posts, read 2,941,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Roseburg also has a Costco with a gas station. Be advised....they don't take cash. LOL. Tried to pay with cash yesterday.
I'm very aware of Costco gas stations not taking cash. Not only do Costco gas stations not take cash but the only payment methods accepted at Costco pumps are American Express or Costco gift cards. Visa,Matercard and Discover isn't accepted at Costco gas pumps. If you use a pin based debit card it can put a $200 hold on money in your checking account.

I noticed off the I5 there are plenty of Chevron,Texaco,76,Arco and shell gas stations. With my Safeway or Vons club card I get $0.20 cents off per gallon at any chevron or texaco station. I have more than enough rewards points.

Chevron is also better quality gas than Costco gas or Arco gas. When I use Costco or Valero gas my car gets bad gas millage.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Roseburg also has a Costco with a gas station. Be advised....they don't take cash. LOL. Tried to pay with cash yesterday.
You can purchase Costco gift cards at any Costco with cash and use those to purchase Costco gas.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,220,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
You can purchase Costco gift cards at any Costco with cash and use those to purchase Costco gas.
I've always used my debit card, but we were on our way home from a short camping trip and I actually HAD cash. LOL He looked at me like I was nuts.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 PM

10,993 posts, read 20,624,778 times
Cash, what's that?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I've always used my debit card, but we were on our way home from a short camping trip and I actually HAD cash. LOL He looked at me like I was nuts.
Costco gas isn't the best quality gas for your cars engine. Costco puts water in their gas supply to make it cheaper. Using a debit card with a pin at a gas pump is a no no becuase there are people who I know who have has their pin and debit card stolen by someone who made a clone card and used it in Europe. That person will never use a pin based debit card at a gas pump again.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Cash, what's that?

Here in the Los Angeles area we have a gas station chain called Arco which is owned by BP. Arco only accepts cash and pin based debit cards. They don't take credit cards. Today when I got gas at a chevron station in the LA area they charge $0.15 more per gallon if you pay with a credit or debit card. This chevron station gives a cash discount if you pay with cash,chevron credit card or chevron gift card. Many chevron stations have the same policy with credit cards.

Costco at their pumps only accepts American Express,pin based debit cards and Costco gift cards. Costco gas doesn't accept cash,visa,mastercard or discover.

There are plenty of other cheap gas stations if you don't like costcos policy or the quality of their gas.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Well, Redding is about 2 1/2 hours past Sacramento (about an 8 hour drive from LA). But, it's really easy to get off and get a motel and something to eat. I've done the drive many times and never stopped in Sac.
IMO, the scenery is lovely from Redding on up.
There are many fast food options, if that's what you're looking for. We usually pack food, but if you gas up at the big Pilot stations or other giants, they always have a major fast food stand inside.....Wendy's, Subway etc. Plus, clean restrooms, coffee and lots of snack options.
Staying in Redding is better than Sacramento because it's a better breakup of the trip. The reason I mentioned Sacramento is because I may end up leaving LA at 8pm. If I leave LA at 2pm or 3pm I would even push to Mount Shasta,Weed or Yreka.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You should plan a break at Salem also.
It's hard for me to sit in a car more than 2-3 hours without stopping.

It's illegal to talk on the cellphone and drive in California as well.

Here in California late at night the California Highway Patrol likes to pull over Sober law abiding drivers to see if they are drunk. Sometimes the highway patrol will horras you if you are driving between midnight and 6am.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM

There are many fast food options, if that's what you're looking for. We usually pack food, but if you gas up at the big Pilot stations or other giants, they always have a major fast food stand inside.....Wendy's, Subway etc. Plus, clean restrooms, coffee and lots of snack options.[/quote]

Fast Food isn't my first choice. I will probably pack food in a cooler. But on a long trip like this I'm going to have atleast one fast food meal or two.

I will be looking forward to the good restaurants in Portland. As well as the good restaurants in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland