Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:22 PM

9 posts, read 33,735 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Ive been doing a lot of reading but just cant decide where I would like to go. I am from southern california (please dont judge, it is why I want to get out). Currently I am an electrical foreman with a stable job making around 6 figures/ year. I realize I probably wont be able to make the same kind of money if I move but cost of living should be a bit cheaper. For this reason I think I would need to live near a decent size town but not in the town. I am not to sure about portland because the main reason for leaving cali is to get out of the big city.
I would like to have land and a ranch probably in the less than $400k range some where out of the city. I am okay with a 20 or 30 minute drive to the nearest town and 30- hour drive to a larger town for work is fine.

Eventually I would like to get out of the trade and be a farmer so im looking for a place that is friendly to growing vegetables or fruits.

Pretty much I am trying to pin down some possible locations to live and where to stay away from then take a road trip up there to visit. Also looking to stay away from the type of "party" towns if there is one and a lower crime rate also.

Also I am pretty active and enjoy many activities in the mountains like backpacking, hiking, biking ect. So I would enjoy something close by if at all possible.

Thank you

Last edited by paul_arc; 05-13-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,357 times
You're in luck: thanks to Urban Growth Boundary, Portland does not have sprawling suburbs that pester the landscape for miles and miles. Once you leave the UGB, you are in the country, period. This is very different from most US cities, and in fact terrific.
Therefore, you can find your ranch house anywhere on the outskirts of the city, not very far from it.
If you like skiing, look on the east side around Sandy, Mollala or Estacada that are close to Mt. Hood and Cascade Mountains.
If you prefer to be not far from the ocean, look on the west side in the wine country: near Newberg, Gaston or Forest Grove (recently discussed here)
In fact, look anywhere but north: Washington state up there does not have UGB and the suburban sprawl is very pronounced in Vancouver.
Word of caution: finding work may not be easy, and commutes may be long. If you decide to go for it, make sure you have a substantial cash reserve to live on for a while.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,381 times
Around Wilsonville might work. You will be able to get to customers for your trade in Wilsonville up to Lake Oswego and be able to develop a farm easily, The more south you go (and east/west of I5), the better the chances are for farming.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
Just about anywhere in the state that fruits and vegetables grow west of the Cascades and east of the Coast Range.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,357 times
I would add the following:
1. You will be able to find a farm+house in the country for under $400K, even not far from Portland, but don't expect much.
Remember that outside of UGB you are paying for the house AND a lot of land. For $400K you will buy nice house in Portland, very nice house in suburbs of Portland (say, Gresham, Vancouver) but only a basic house in a farm. House that should be habitable, but may need repairs, remodeling etc.
Here is a link to get you started: click on the "Interactive Map" under "Search Options"
Portland , OR Homes for Sale

2. While you could buy a farm cheaply in a remote agricultural areas of the state, if you want to practice your trade you want to be near big cities (Portland, Salem,Eugene).

Old 05-14-2013, 12:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,967 times
Concur with skiffrace.
400k will get you a decent small house and a few acres suitable for farming (maybe five) right outside of the Portland area.

A "hobby" farm at best.

You might ask this question in the "Oregon" part of these forums for information away from Portland.
This is the "Portland" forum, and you will tend to get responses that pertain to Portland, not the rest of the state.

Can you be more specific about your "ranch"?
How many acres?
What type of farming/ranching?

To me you sound like a city guy who wants to buy 20 acres and a small home, and live the gentleman's country life.
(We call those types "five acre farmers" around here.)

Please, please, take no offense to the above observation, it's just my perception!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:00 PM

$150,000 to $190,000 will get you the same thing with more acreage in Polk, Yamhill, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, Linn, and Benton Counties

Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM

Thanks guys, yes im asking in the portland forum because 1. it is the most popular one from what I see and 2. I think I need to be closer to a larger town for the work.

I dont mind being in the snow but long winters wont be ideal for the farming when I decide to start that. Im just trying to avoid getting a place there now then moving to a different part of Oregon later when I decide to start the farm. Still unsure of what I want to grow or what grows best in the area but I would like something close to about 30 or 40 acres minimum. If it is a "dream place" then I wont mind paying a bit more. pretty much right now I am trying to nail down an area that is ideal for my current construction work and my future farm work then start looking for real estate in that area and take a trip up to visit.

I would rather live in the mountains than by the beach. I live 5 minutes from the ocean right now and never go, it just isn't my thing. So what are the areas with the "nicer" weather. Not too gloomy or snow on the ground half the year. Im thinking it probably needs to be somewhere by Eugene or Portland for the work but dont know too much about either of the towns. How is central oregon? Is it just too much snow?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post
Around Wilsonville might work. You will be able to get to customers for your trade in Wilsonville up to Lake Oswego and be able to develop a farm easily, The more south you go (and east/west of I5), the better the chances are for farming.
Thank you, I will take a look at those areas and see what they look like. How about crime in these areas? I usually never lock my house or cars and dont what to have the thought in my head if everything is okay.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 PM

There are larger cities all up and down the Valley. Portland is not the center of the universe. But there is now a game changer. You say you will need a job. You don't say what kind of job, but farming you can do; getting a job is another kettle of fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland