Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 04:59 PM

121 posts, read 162,841 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We have made our decision to leave CA and I wondered if there might be a one or two of you who have moved from CA to Portland (or nearby) who would be open to me asking you a few questions via direct messages? If you moved with kids, that would be even better. I just need some feedback on logistics and timing.

Send me a message if you are willing!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 05:27 PM

254 posts, read 442,833 times
Our family of five is making the move in 7 weeks!!!

I've noticed quite a few Californians on the page though. I am sure they will be happy to help.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:56 PM

478 posts, read 882,434 times
We moved from San Diego. No kids. Sure, ask away. Unless it's private stuff, better to do it in the forum so that anyone else who has the same questions can read it later!

Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,027,226 times
I moved here from Orange County, but I only lived there for three years so I didn't think of myself as a real Californian. But I'm willing to answer questions about the move, here or in DMs.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 PM

149 posts, read 277,063 times
I moved from LA about 18 months ago, although I came to the coast here in Newport. But I'll do what I can to help also. Was just me though, no family or children.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,925 times
I moved from SF about 13 years ago. Had no kids then but do now.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 PM

Hi,

Ok - I'll just my questions here so others can benefit - I didn't want to bore anyone .

So let me start off by saying I am very much a planner and try to figure out details as much as possible. Since our decision, my brain has been going nuts. Sorry if I start to ramble.

Our target date is the summer of 2015. Our daughter will be ready to enter high school and son will be entering 7th. Schools get out here about the 5th of June and I am assuming that OR schools start sometime mid to late August (need to ck that). So assuming that we are ready to move the week after school is out, is that enough time to get them enrolled or do the offices close for the summer like they do here? I guess I am just trying to hear how others with school kids planned it out without disrupting school?

My current strategy has been to review all I can about the various high schools and then look at the corresponding neighborhood to see if it is affordable and something we might like. On one of our next visits, we will take closer looks at the schools in person.

I also wonder about renting. We will have to rent for about a year to be sure we are in the right area for us and to establish stability for a home loan; although I am hoping that I do a good job in picking a good fit from the start. Since I've read that it can be a challenge to find a rental and that a lot aren't listed on the various sites, I am sorta figuring that we will need to make a trip just for finding a rental? How did others do it? If it was just hubby and I, we might be able to freestyle a little bit but with 2 kids (and 1 dog & 1 kitty), I think we need to have something lined up. We are moving from our 3 bedroom home so while we will definitely purge as much as possible, we will have a fair amount of "stuff".

Thank you for reading my long post and whatever feedback provided would be really appreciated.

Btw: I didn't mention jobs because hubby and I both own our own small business...so those will be separate questions. But I am not as concerned -- yet

Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,344,486 times
Things can really change a lot in two years. There are still a lot of rentals, but again two years is a long way off.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
I have a friend who moved several times with school age children. He said if you can enroll them before the end of the school year they have the opportunity to meet kids in the community and aren't so lonely. You also have the opportunity to learn about summer activities.

Portland area schools end the school year the week after Rose Festival. The reason is that it keeps families in town for the parade and the marching bands are still intact.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 PM

hmm didn't consider moving before they got out of school. Will have to think about that. I figured it would be more problematic trying to get their grades transferred since we were moving state to state. I know it can be done of course. Heck I moved several times during the school years as I was a big trouble maker for mom....had to go live with dad. LOL...but I'm off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: