Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:32 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times

Advertisements

Actually I find that west facing windows are the summer hot weather culprit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 06:09 PM

240 posts, read 483,248 times
My first 3 summers here I toughed it out in the townhouse, which was situated so it didn't get any direct sunlight downstairs (upstairs was an oven), but finally felt I'd had enough and bought a portable unit to use during the summer of 2013. My current studio apartment has west-facing windows, and I'm on the top floor of a not-very-well-insulated building which heats up quickly. On the hottest days with the AC I can get it down to 76 in here, which is fine. I just tested my unit recently to make sure it's good to go when needed in a few weeks, and it is. I'm not willing to struggle anywhere anymore throughout the heat of summer without AC.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
After having lived in the Portland area since the late 90's, my conclusion is that all the people who say nobody needs a/c here fall into one or more of the following categories (1) live in one story houses (2) live in older homes and neighborhoods that have a heavy tree cover (3) live in two story houses, but all the bedrooms and living areas used are on the first floor, or (4) have no western facing windows.

Our first two years here, we lived in a three story townhouse with all the bedrooms on the third floor and all the main living areas on the second floor. After 2 summers of having many days of misery and nights of little sleep, A/C was the first requirement on our list when we bought a house. It isn't as hot here in the summer as many places in the country, but it's not exactly freezing here in the summer. We average 12 days a year over 90 and some summers recently have had close to twice that many days over 90. That doesn't even count all the days in the high 70s or warmer, which is the point where the A/C really starts to be needed.

I don't know about other folks, but I really like being able to get a good nights sleep every night of the year and having A/C lets our family do that. I would never presume to tell others that it's not needed in Portland because for many houses and apartments here it's a necessity if people want to be able to sleep at night.

Last edited by patches403; 05-25-2015 at 10:21 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 11:46 PM

609 posts, read 808,471 times
Yes. Window unit and I would die without it. I would love to know the science behind it, but in July if the high is 90 degrees and at 10 pm, let's say, it's 60 degrees outside, it is 86 degrees in the house with all the doors and windows open. This is shocking to me and the minute I lay me down to sleep I feel like I'm suffocating. The box AC gives the room cool, crisp air like a hotel room!

I honestly don't understand why the house traps heat like it does. It's just a typical 100 year old house, single story in north portland.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:49 PM

609 posts, read 808,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The heat lasts for a few days there, I always say tough it out or splurge and get yourself a hotel room for a few days and have a mini vacation.
But the window unit costs like $150 and you can keep it for years and years. And in my house it is much more than a few days with the house like an oven into September.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:09 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
Yes. Window unit and I would die without it. I would love to know the science behind it, but in July if the high is 90 degrees and at 10 pm, let's say, it's 60 degrees outside, it is 86 degrees in the house with all the doors and windows open. This is shocking to me and the minute I lay me down to sleep I feel like I'm suffocating. The box AC gives the room cool, crisp air like a hotel room!

I honestly don't understand why the house traps heat like it does. It's just a typical 100 year old house, single story in north portland.
This is what people who are like "But oh it's so mild! You don't NEEEEEED air conditioning" don't understand. While Portland cools off at night (not as much as people think, though) the houses are designed to trap as much heat as possible. So even if it's 55F at dawn, it will still be roasting indoors.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:12 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I know it's an old topic, but are any Oregonians getting AC this year? I'm not sure if it's going to be a scorcher or a non-summer. May and June are always schizo.
I have two portables. And the 10 days that people talk about did not happen last summer (i.e. it was hot a lot more) and I bet this summer will be worse given our weather so far this year (little rain, warm temps). So my air conditioners will be primed and ready to go

Old 05-26-2015, 01:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
But the window unit costs like $150 and you can keep it for years and years. And in my house it is much more than a few days with the house like an oven into September.
Sorry, I should have put that advice varies from person to person. If your house is like an oven in September, it makes me wonder what is wrong with your house....

Old 05-26-2015, 01:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
This is what people who are like "But oh it's so mild! You don't NEEEEEED air conditioning" don't understand. While Portland cools off at night (not as much as people think, though) the houses are designed to trap as much heat as possible. So even if it's 55F at dawn, it will still be roasting indoors.
Opening windows and some fans to create a cross breeze at night helps with this. That almost always cools off the places I have lived in.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:07 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Opening windows and some fans to create a cross breeze at night helps with this. That almost always cools off the places I have lived in.
I do have whole house AC but try to use it as little as possible (maybe one day last year?). That's because it requires me to shut the house up and I'd rather have open windows. With a little bit of timing and fans, you can take advantage of insulation and cool nights. When I wake up, I open all the windows to try and get the house temperature down. I make sure to shut the house up tight and close all the curtains before leaving for work. When I get home, I'll open the curtains and windows on the shady side of the house or the side of the house with a breeze and all the windows upstairs. Then, around 7, I'll put in the window fan blowing out the bedroom. Usually, by 10 when I go to bed, it's cool enough to sleep without the fan on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland