Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Ooo

14 posts, read 23,491 times

Advertisements

Equally curious here regarding Richmond and evanglicals, pro-life billboards, 'Hell is Real' billboards, and all the like.

I've been considering VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 11:32 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,708,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooo View Post
Equally curious here regarding Richmond and evanglicals, pro-life billboards, 'Hell is Real' billboards, and all the like.

I've been considering VA.
Of course it is. Richmond is not the "northern south" that is just ridiculous. Northern Virginia and Richmond are two different worlds. Richmond has churches on nearly every block. See the "church hill" neighborhood for example. As I'm reading this thread most are disregarding the truth to paint a version of Richmond that they're more happy with though. Yes you will see the "God is good billboards" and pro life billboards along the interstates.

Living in Richmond you go to church every Sunday, if you're black it's at Paul's near mechanicsville and if you're white it's he one out Varina. Richmond is still very racially (self) segregated. You'll find more blacks at one location and whites will be at another. There are more religious stations on the radio than other genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It seems a predominately black and white city though. And a very segregated one as well - as are most American cities.

I looked at The Fan, and it seems predominately white. The upscale suburbs that everyone seems to want to live in, are also white. Which in some ways, I wonder if 'white Richmond' is kind of like a Portland, with a black southern element which lives all south and east of downtown Richmond in very large numbers - which is largely absent in Portland. Like two different worlds in Richmond each in their own parts of the metro? Or do they mix more than I'm giving it credit for?

On that note, are there prominent ethnic groups? Asian nationalities in Richmond and such? I'm not aware of them, but Portland isn't known for them either, and they are definitely there.
Yes you are correct. It is segregated but not like most cities I have to disagree there. It is far more extreme in Richmond, you don't see Confederate soldiers getting statues in Beaverton do you? You don't see confederate license plate covers in Portland do you? You can't instantly tell black ghettos from upperclass white communities as much up here either.

I am not sure where the Asians are but I saw them mostly near pharm road and if assume they're out in short pump also since it's the only half decent part of the area. Hispanics are tucked away abd mostly barricaded in chesterfield. Blacks are mostly in eastern Henrico and whites are in the more upscale western Henrico, Carytown, Shockoe bottom, the fan etc.

Although race is mostly 50/50 black to white, depending on what your race is you'll spend the majority of your time around them as it's what's socially expected. The most diversity you're going to get is around the VCU campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
When I was there, and I was there for a LONG time, the one thing I never suffered from was boredom.. Between watching the bums harass students and yuppies in VCU and carytown, to cheap 1$ movies at the byrd theater(my all time fave theater in America), to steak and eggs at 3am, to the diversity(I get along VERY well with black people, and most of the women Ive went with were black too), to the history of the place, watching the free entertainment of the many ghettos there, or observing the west Virginia rednecks settled in Oregon hill, I found it fascinating personally.. If it wasn't for certain legal issues, Id head back there immediately.. I don't see who would have issues with it except well-to-do yuppie types who don't enjoy inner city lower class environments!! HAHA
I'm not sure when you left but the "bums harassing VCU students" is now far out of hand. There are students constantly being robbed on campus. WWBT NEWS

"Police reported 57 total crimes from March 1 - April 30th in the Carver neighborhood. They have had a total of 31 crimes in the area in the last 60 days." - VCU, Richmond Police team up for joint patrols - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News Another thing is that the police here is a joke. They never get anything accomplished. Go to ANY news article and you'll see the police advising you to call some 1800 Crime stopper number to report information. What is the point in having policemen if citizens are constantly expected go police their own communities to begin with?

Richmond is not "fun" it is very dangerous place to live especially compared to Portland. Doing half the things you enjoy is honestly the best way to end up on the local news.

YouTube Beating in Richmond, Va. - YouTube

I expect most to disregard this though, like I said you can't really explain richmond to someone that's never been outside the Pacific Northwest and same for the reverse. Just compare the stats on citydata like crime etc. the heat & hurricane season (loss of electricity during the summer is always fun) is something you might want to consider also.

Last edited by Anders15; 07-27-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,060,868 times
I went to VCU in the 90's for design because it was a great school for my degree and it was close to home. I commuted from home instead of living on campus because of the crime. The whole city has a stench to it. But I do think the city has hit rock bottom and the only way for it now is up. But it will depend on the people.

It is very segregated. Self imposed. My sister married a black man from Richmond. He is an awesome husband and father but was looked down on because he dared to marry a white woman by both whites and blacks.

They have since moved to Florida and are treated much better (Orlando area)

Old 07-30-2013, 12:16 AM

156 posts, read 236,320 times
Richmond is not "fun" it is very dangerous place to live especially compared to Portland. Doing half the things you enjoy is honestly the best way to end up on the local news.

I expect most to disregard this though, like I said you can't really explain richmond to someone that's never been outside the Pacific Northwest and same for the reverse. Just compare the stats on citydata like crime etc. the heat & hurricane season (loss of electricity during the summer is always fun) is something you might want to consider also.[/quote]

Let me say that I am a native Virginian and I agree....Richmond is "the South" and VERY crime ridden. Don't get me wrong, I love Virginia, but if you don't have to live in Richmond for a reason, then try elsewhere. Northern VA is much more tolerant of different races, nationalities, sexual orientation, etc because of it's proximity to DC (although much of DC itself (in the city) remains pretty dangerous as far as crime goes) Richmond's weather is much more hot and humid. The only thing in it's favor is that the real estate is a LOT cheaper....but still... I had to go to court in Richmond with a friend once. It was a real eyeopener. Hundreds and hundreds of cases run through like cattle.

One place I do like and is more like Portland in mindset is Charlottesville, VA. It is quite "green" and sophisticated in it's tastes (organic and good restaurants are plentiful, good microbrewery) and it has a well educated population. UVA is one of the top schools in the entire country. Downside is that most of the students come from wealth which has driven up the price of off campus apartments. Real estate in that area is high anyway and Charlottesville is fairly small so fewer jobs, etc. But it is generally safe and very beautiful. C'ville is my second favorite after Warrenton....which is my hometown.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforhorseparadise View Post

I expect most to disregard this though, like I said you can't really explain richmond to someone that's never been outside the Pacific Northwest and same for the reverse. Just compare the stats on citydata like crime etc. the heat & hurricane season (loss of electricity during the summer is always fun) is something you might want to consider also.
Let me say that I am a native Virginian and I agree....Richmond is "the South" and VERY crime ridden. Don't get me wrong, I love Virginia, but if you don't have to live in Richmond for a reason, then try elsewhere. Northern VA is much more tolerant of different races, nationalities, sexual orientation, etc because of it's proximity to DC (although much of DC itself (in the city) remains pretty dangerous as far as crime goes) Richmond's weather is much more hot and humid. The only thing in it's favor is that the real estate is a LOT cheaper....but still... I had to go to court in Richmond with a friend once. It was a real eyeopener. Hundreds and hundreds of cases run through like cattle.

One place I do like and is more like Portland in mindset is Charlottesville, VA. It is quite "green" and sophisticated in it's tastes (organic and good restaurants are plentiful, good microbrewery) and it has a well educated population. UVA is one of the top schools in the entire country. Downside is that most of the students come from wealth which has driven up the price of off campus apartments. Real estate in that area is high anyway and Charlottesville is fairly small so fewer jobs, etc. But it is generally safe and very beautiful. C'ville is my second favorite after Warrenton....which is my hometown.[/quote]

I guess we have different experiences with Richmond because i think its a great city on the rise. And btw, Northern Virginia is a horrible place to live.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Let me say that I am a native Virginian and I agree....Richmond is "the South" and VERY crime ridden. Don't get me wrong, I love Virginia, but if you don't have to live in Richmond for a reason, then try elsewhere. Northern VA is much more tolerant of different races, nationalities, sexual orientation, etc because of it's proximity to DC (although much of DC itself (in the city) remains pretty dangerous as far as crime goes)
What about THE FAN in Richmond? Is that a cool little part of Richmond? Is it also effected by the crime? Is it big enough to feel like it's own little world?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What about THE FAN in Richmond? Is that a cool little part of Richmond? Is it also effected by the crime? Is it big enough to feel like it's own little world?
I looked at the post you quoted me from and realized I misquoted someone, which caused you to misquote me. I would never say anything nice about NoVA haha

Old 09-08-2013, 01:09 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,282,369 times
I'm going to have to side with both Urbanlife, Anderson and VThookie. Richmond is truly nothing at all like Portland. I am originally from Baltimore and now live in Bend. I've visited both Richmond and Portland equally by this point. I would never in my life move to Richmond. Portland on the other hand is an extremely desirable city. One that I hope to be able to live part time in one day.

Seriously, especially if you're from overseas, trust both Urbanlife and Anderson.

Also, if you want a hip east coast city on the cheap filled with 'hipsters' check out Baltimore or Pittsburg, NOT Richmond.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM

370 posts, read 1,011,365 times
Well you asked for the Portland perspective but got a couple of resentful ex-Richmonders instead. I've lived here for about 12 years now and enjoy it. Really reasonable cost of living, great food scene, FINALLY growing beer scene (try Hardywood if you get the chance), good music scene, GREAT arts scene, and one of the best inner city outdoors scenes you could find in the country. You can mountain bike, rock climb, and ride white water all within view of downtown. Consider however the scale. Richmond has a population a little over 200,000 and has a large African-American segment so it's definitely not Portland. The high AA population and associated poverty contribute to the crime problem. I've never had anything happen but robberies do occur even in the nice areas sometimes. Hipsters definitely have a strong presence here. We rank in the Top 5 of most tattooed cities in the country. It offers a lot on a small scale but that suits me. I like things to be accessible and everything in Richmond is. If you don't mind a little old city grit it has a lot to offer but I can't compare it to the likes of Portland, having never visited. My recommendation is to pay a visit sometime on an East Coast excursion and get a feel for it yourself.

A few links that show the variety Richmond can offer... if you're willing to look.

Dirty Richmond - Best Style Blog DIRTY RICHMOND
RVAlution Dance party
RVALUTION IS STILL HERE!!! - YouTube
Neighborhood Blogs RVA News, Events, Entertainment, and Sports in Richmond, Virginia
Outside magazine on Richmond The Best River Towns in America: Richmond, Virginia | Best Towns | OutsideOnline.com

Old 10-02-2013, 04:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,233,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
Well you asked for the Portland perspective but got a couple of resentful ex-Richmonders instead. I've lived here for about 12 years now and enjoy it. Really reasonable cost of living, great food scene, FINALLY growing beer scene (try Hardywood if you get the chance), good music scene, GREAT arts scene, and one of the best inner city outdoors scenes you could find in the country. You can mountain bike, rock climb, and ride white water all within view of downtown. Consider however the scale. Richmond has a population a little over 200,000 and has a large African-American segment so it's definitely not Portland. The high AA population and associated poverty contribute to the crime problem. I've never had anything happen but robberies do occur even in the nice areas sometimes. Hipsters definitely have a strong presence here. We rank in the Top 5 of most tattooed cities in the country. It offers a lot on a small scale but that suits me. I like things to be accessible and everything in Richmond is. If you don't mind a little old city grit it has a lot to offer but I can't compare it to the likes of Portland, having never visited. My recommendation is to pay a visit sometime on an East Coast excursion and get a feel for it yourself.

A few links that show the variety Richmond can offer... if you're willing to look.

Dirty Richmond - Best Style Blog DIRTY RICHMOND
RVAlution Dance party
RVALUTION IS STILL HERE!!! - YouTube
Neighborhood Blogs RVA News, Events, Entertainment, and Sports in Richmond, Virginia
Outside magazine on Richmond The Best River Towns in America: Richmond, Virginia | Best Towns | OutsideOnline.com
Portland you get full nude strip clubs, naked fire dancers, and go go dancers/burlesque dancers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland