Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,187 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to Portland Oregon by January any suggestions recommendations:

I'm a single 32 year old male who lives life like a twenty something year old, I'm also a musician I'm into natural building, carpentry, permacultre, biking, hiking, I have two A.S. Degrees Computer Engineering Tech and Network Service Tech. and four certifications in the same field. I feel Portland would be a better fit for me, my lifestyle and my skills. I visited the area in 2009, and I really enjoyed the mountains, shoreline, transportation system, parks and all the outdoor activity's. To me Portland is a great blend between Chicago, and Ashevile but without many of the negatives of either one. I've been living in Asheville now 7 years but have also lived in Miami, FL (to hot and lifestyle dose not fit me) and Chicago, ILL (to Cold).

Anyone have any suggestions to make my transition easier?

Good company's hiring in the area for my field of work?

Any local websites I should look into for employment?

Are temp jobs a good option in the Portland area to make a quick transition?

What areas in Portland would be a good fit for a budget minded guy like me starting out in Portland? Whats
rent like for a 1/1 or studio biking distance or a rail ride to downtown?

Know anyone in portland who may be interested in having a roommate for a few months or who may want to team up and rent a place to split costs in Portland?

Are there any areas around Portland I should avoid?

Anyone looking for a place in Asheville to rent? I own the home. One room available now or whole house starting January 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiveraNC View Post
Read this forum and ask questions as they occur to you.

Quote:
I've sent you a DM with my employer's info.

Quote:
Join the 'PDX Technology Professionals' group on LinkedIn.

Quote:
Temp jobs are a very good option. Another regular poster here has put together a great list of temp agencies; I can dig it out later if no one else posts it.

Quote:
What areas in Portland would be a good fit for a budget minded guy like me starting out in Portland? Whats
I'm not really in touch with the rental market; check craigslist and/or padmapper to get current rates.

Quote:
Know anyone in portland who may be interested in having a roommate for a few months or who may want to team up and rent a place to split costs in Portland?
I'm on a mailing list where people sometimes post "roommate wanted" messages; I'll keep you in mind.

Quote:
Not really. It's a pretty safe town. Don't try to camp surreptitiously in Forest Park (see recent thread).

Quote:
Anyone looking for a place in Asheville to rent? I own the home. One room available now or whole house starting January 1st.
I don't know anyone, but who knows, you might get a bite here. Good luck with the move!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiveraNC View Post
I'm looking to move to Portland Oregon by January any suggestions recommendations:

I'm a single 32 year old male who lives life like a twenty something year old, I'm also a musician I'm into natural building, carpentry, permacultre, biking, hiking, I have two A.S. Degrees Computer Engineering Tech and Network Service Tech. and four certifications in the same field. I feel Portland would be a better fit for me, my lifestyle and my skills. I visited the area in 2009, and I really enjoyed the mountains, shoreline, transportation system, parks and all the outdoor activity's. To me Portland is a great blend between Chicago, and Ashevile but without many of the negatives of either one. I've been living in Asheville now 7 years but have also lived in Miami, FL (to hot and lifestyle dose not fit me) and Chicago, ILL (to Cold).

I will take these two. Temp agencies are a really good way to go. I can recommend one that I used to deal with because I used to get recruits from there when I was working for a large insurance company. They are called Volt Temporary Agency. Their clients seemed to like them and we liked the people they sent us.

Regarding studios, that will depend upon the neighborhoods. They can range from $650 to $1200 depending upon the neighborhood. Do not limit yourself to light rail when looking for an apartment. The bus service is adequate and travels in more areas. Portland has an extremely low vacancy rate of 3% so be open minded when apartment hunting. Check out Portland neighborhood websites. If you are on a budget, skip those in the more popular areas.

There are large apartment buildings going up all over the city and will be finished soon. They will be mostly studios that are supposed to be reasonably priced, reasonably being under $1,000 I would imagine. Most are not yet completed but will be in a month or sooner. But keep checking Craigslist.

Come here and see what things look like and check out other relocation threads on this forum. They can answer your questions as well.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I have to say this... Asheville was on my short list for places to relocate to. It is Portland with better weather. Your computer skills are nothing exceptional. You would really short sell a home and stable living situation for the attractions of the PDX Mystique? Don't do it. Stay in Asheville a little longer. Work on BS degrees in the areas you now have AS accreditation and maybe an MCSA/E and a CCNA/P (if you don't already have them) and even then think long and hard about it.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: