Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 10,051 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was taking my daily route that I have been taking for the past 2 years to work, which is to go straight on NE Sandy blvd, then on to NE Killingsworth, which turns into Columbia HWY, and finally NE Lombard st. I was in the left lane on my way to work on NE Killingsworth St. Right after NE 82nd ave. intersection, the driver in front of me was going about 25mph, so I decided to speed up a little and change into the right lane. There was a pick up right behind my car in the right lane, so I had to speed up a bit more. During the lane changing, I sped up to about 45mph. Apparently, there was police radar van right next to the right lane, almost on the side walk. It snapped my pictures.

I have never, ever seen a van in that area before in my 2 years of taking the road to work. Nor I have seen any photo radar enforcement warnings. I am kind of freaking out. At the next traffic light, I made a turn, a loop, and drove by the radar van again, this time at 30mph. I didn't even see any temporary photo radar enforcement signs near the var or any where close to it. This time, I did see a 35mph speed sign kind of obscured by trees. I attached my phone to my GPS holder, and made a third loop, and recorded everything on the phone, i.e. the obscured sign, no photo radar warnings, etc. It's an understatement to say this van was snapping pictures left and right. Probably because no one was aware of it, and it had never been there before!

I thought ORS 810.438 requires photo radar vans to post notices 100 - 400 yd in advance, and must be 2 feet off the ground? Can I use that in the court? Or am I wrong in interpreting that statement?

Also, my car is like 2 months old, and still waiting on the license plate. I just have the temporary registration number on the rear windshield, which is barely visible from outside (it's coming off), and you can only read maybe 3-4 letters/numbers of it. However, I am pretty sure my picture was clean as my hands or anything wasn't in front of my face. Will they be able to send me the ticket by going through the trouble of matching my picture to the license plate?

Sorry for many questions. I am just worried.

Abe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times
So you got busted speeding? Own it and take care of your ticket

Old 08-23-2013, 03:03 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
wait til they send you something. you may not get a ticket.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:04 PM

I got busted speeding because in my opinion it was circumstantial. The car in front of me was doing about 20-25mph, slowing every few seconds with his blinkers and then turning then off. Went on for few minutes.

What would you do? Stay behind the car till the person in it makes up his mind on if he wants to turn or not, or would you TRY to pass the car? Be honest.

EDIT: to the second reply, I am pretty sure I am going to get a ticket. I just know it. I am praying, since there were no signs or anything, maybe they were just testing the area out or something? I guess I will find out in six business days if I got the ticket or not. But any advice or what to do would be helpful. Never have gotten a ticket before so I am freaking out. I don't mind paying the fine, but I am more worried about insurance rate increase.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:15 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Also, my car is like 2 months old, and still waiting on the license plate. I
just have the temporary registration number on the rear windshield, which is
barely visible from outside (it's coming off), and you can only read maybe 3-4
letters/numbers of it. However, I am pretty sure my picture was clean as my
hands or anything wasn't in front of my face. Will they be able to send me the
ticket by going through the trouble of matching my picture to the license plate?
Your car was photographed front and back.
If you had no front plate and the rear temp sticker was not legible, you may have lucked out.

I do not think that they have enough monetary resources to pay for the technology to match an anonymous face to an existing driver's license, etc.

I guess you have to sit back and wait, and check your mail everyday for a week or two.

If you do get a ticket, and feel you are in the right, fight it.
But good luck, you'll need it.
It's really tough to get out of a traffic ticket in Portland.
Even if you are in the right, they will get you financially somehow.

Hopefully since you owned up to what happened, and stated you will pay the fine if you are found guilty, you won't get ten pages of lectures on speeding and responsibility.....

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 08-23-2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Thank you for your replies! Yeah, my car doesn't yet have front or rear license plates, and you can't read the rear temp sticker fully at first glance from the outside. If you stare at it close enough for a bit, maybe you could pick up the remaining numbers not visible from outside. I just wonder if they spend that much time on each individual tickets to figure out obscured plate numbers, etc.

If they don't have the face matching tech, then I have been watching too many law & order/CSI shows.

But thank you all for your replies! I guess I will wait and see if I get the mail or not.

Thanks

Old 08-23-2013, 04:53 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
If you were going over the speedlimit you were speeding. Are you so special that the law does not apply to you. If you get a ticket pay it. Until then, slow down.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Hopefully since you owned up to what happened, and stated you will pay the fine if you are found guilty, you won't get ten pages of lectures on speeding and responsibility.....

!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:32 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abe_cooldude View Post
I got busted speeding because in my opinion it was circumstantial. The car in front of me was doing about 20-25mph, slowing every few seconds with his blinkers and then turning then off. Went on for few minutes.

What would you do? Stay behind the car till the person in it makes up his mind on if he wants to turn or not, or would you TRY to pass the car? Be honest.

EDIT: to the second reply, I am pretty sure I am going to get a ticket. I just know it. I am praying, since there were no signs or anything, maybe they were just testing the area out or something? I guess I will find out in six business days if I got the ticket or not. But any advice or what to do would be helpful. Never have gotten a ticket before so I am freaking out. I don't mind paying the fine, but I am more worried about insurance rate increase.
Sure it was circumstantial. The circumstances are that you happened to be speeding in front of a radar van.

And what would I do? I wouldn't move over into the right lane, if it necessitated me having to almost double my speed, because I'd squeezed over in front of someone who was traveling that fast.

But if I had ... I'd pay the ticket.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:53 PM

Everybody,
Please don't make the mistake that I am condoning the OP's argument, or trying to help anybody get out of their just due.

I am just telling how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland