Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,775 times

Advertisements

I don't know why Hawthorne is so popular - it's probably just that it is one of the most established commercial strips in SE. I much prefer Division and Clinton, much less congested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 03:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
I don't know why Hawthorne is so popular - it's probably just that it is one of the most established commercial strips in SE. I much prefer Division and Clinton, much less congested.
I think one has to be young, single and looking for other young single people because those are the majority of people I see living here now. Not that there are not all types because there are. I have lived in the neighborhood long enough to see the many different types from skinheads and druggies who were finally ousted thank heave to a majority of of retirees and low income families, many halfway houses for the mentally ill to middle income young professionals, to a large gay population to many yuppies, students, young professionals and a smattering of hipsters of today.

The businesses have changed as well. So have the interesting characters who once populated the neighborhoods.

As mentioned, the neighborhood's big draw was the bustle and liveliness not to mention it's conveniences. Division and Clinton, Hollywood, Alberta Arts and areas like them were pretty much nothing more than intersections with a few interesting shops up until a few years ago. There was nothing as large as the area around Hawthorne with quite as much to offer for decades so people didn't have the choices they do now.

People are still drawn to Hawthorne I suppose because it is still lively. For me it's lost some of it's charm because it's gotten so popular and expensive. I mostly miss the eclectic stores that used to be here. They left because like the many residents living in the apartment buildings, they could no longer afford the rents.

I still love the neighborhood for the convenience of the two bus lines and the large grocery stores and close proximity to downtown. I have neighbors who don't own cars and for them those features are also a big plus. Most other neighborhoods, even the trendy ones, still don't offer these features.

I think it's nice though, that Portland has become a large enough city that people now have a whole lot more choices of neighborhoods on the east side of the river in which to live that are good places to live than just a decade or two ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland