Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 04:18 PM

82 posts, read 221,893 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be relocating to Portland next Spring. I am a full-time artist and usually work out of a studio from my home when not traveling and teaching workshops. With this next move, I don't really want to have a studio in my home, rather, would like to rent space for a small gallery and a working studio/classroom space in the back in an area that would support such a venture. I am wondering if there are any neighboring communities outside of downtown Portland that may be a good location for this? We are looking at moving to the west side near the Rock Creek area to settle, as it would be closer to his job, but we'd really prefer to live downtown "in the thick of the action" and near galleries, museums, etc. I know the closer into downtown, the higher the rent. We would like to rent the first year and get to know the area before purchasing. We are thinking apx. 2000-2500 in rent, more or less, depending if I also rent a studio space in addition. Ideally, our residence would be close to the studio... I want to minimize traversing any dicey "ice", etc. on the roads during winter so living near where we work would be preferable. I'm wondering where the gallery district is in Portland... is there an area that is active in the arts with art walks, small studio galleries, etc?

We are excited about the possibility of moving to Portland and hope the job situation works out. His company has narrowed down the candidates to two people so there is a 50% chance we will head that way. We are in the talking stages of how to plan it all out, if so. I am a partner in an art gallery where we live and will have to sell out of my partnership to come that way, but would like to begin something comparable at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 08:37 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
You have to realize that up until 15 years ago, Rock Creek was farmland. It's now strip malls and McMansion neighborhoods, and then a strict line where the Urban Growth Boundary kicks in and it becomes farmland again. There hasn't been enough time for art galleries to really open, there might be one or two in downtown Hillsoboro, and there is one in Downtown Beaverton. Most of the search results for "Art Gallery" on the west side are frame shops, or places obviously not actually galleries.

The concentrations of art galleries are in Portland, Pearl District, along Alberta, Hawthorn, Division and close in East Side of the River with a smattering across the city. The studio spaces for artists tend to be in those same areas, with the East Side (also known as the Industrial District,) being a popular place. A quick web search for "art studios portland" will get you dozens of options.

Don't worry about the ice on roads, you'll know when it's a problem as the entire region shuts down. Usually it's only for a few hours, but can sometimes be a couple of days.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:43 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
hamellr is right. Although, you might find enough interest in the classroom aspect of it. Not so sure about the gallery.

The major art "districts" are the Pearl, which has the First Thursday event, and the Albert Arts District, whose event is Last Thursday. Those are the big ones, but several, smaller events happen around town.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:24 PM

82 posts, read 221,893 times
Thanks for the info... I'm looking at the areas closer to the Pearl District, or at least closer to the west side than originally thought... but I may have to resort to getting a place large enough to also have a studio. I really hope, however, to be able to have a separate studio from my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: