Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 AM

146 posts, read 300,310 times

Advertisements

I know it is not the recommended approach, but if I were to move to Portland before getting a job (I know, I know) in order to increase my chances -- as a local applicant rather than a long-distance one -- is there a good way to ensure my family is medically covered until we come under the coverage provided by an employer?

Again, let's assume that I already know it's a little risky (moving without a job lined up, I mean) but I have been scanning PDX job openings for some time and it looks very likely that either my wife or I would be well positioned to get work in our respective fields within a few months of moving.

But until then, we'd need medical coverage. Options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 06:23 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
https://www.coveroregon.com

Old 01-02-2014, 06:32 AM

Ah, thanks -- I'm seeing a lot of results for Moda, Kaiser and PacificSource. Anyone use(d) them?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:33 AM

I signed up for Moda, but have not used them yet. Coverage started yesterday.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 AM

And? So far so good?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:39 AM

Like I said, I haven't used it yet, so don't know. Based on the plan description, it should be OK. Premium is lower than I pay now, so that's a help. Deductible is about the same.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:50 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,982 times
As sayulita said, go to coveroregon.com to shop for the plans. Look at the details (what is covered, amount of co-pay, max out of pocket expense etc.)
When in doubt, call the insurance company.

It looks like Moda (formerly ODS), Keiser and Providence are the main insurance providers around here.
Keiser and Providence have their own network of hospitals and clinics, and there is a substantial difference in price between in-network and out-of-network services.
There is less difference in case of Moda. Before you purchase a plan think carefully what services you may possibly need, and inquire the insurance provider about them. For example, the OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) is the best hospital in Oregon, one of the best in the western US, and a place to go for the top of the line care. Check if it is among the in-network providers for the plan you choose.

Lower-income Oregonians qualify for government subsidies to pay the monthly premiums of the plan they choose - it is a part of the new US healthcare law called Affordable Care Act by the proponents, Obamacare by the opponents.
Inquire if you can qualify for the subsidy based on the immigration status you will have once in the US.

Finally, it is wise of you to think about the insurance now. As you know, most of the insurance plans in US are provided\subsidized by the employer. I am out of work now, and have no health insurance as well. Due to the delays of ACA implementation, I have not had a chance to buy insurance on my own. As the luck would have it, about a month ago I had a detached retina in my eye. It's an emergency condition that leads to blindness if not treated immediately. My first operation month ago was unsuccessful, 2 days ago I had to have another, the outcome still unknown. The bills so far are in the 25K to 30K range, I am responsible for all of them. I will try to come up with some kind of payment plan, for now saving the eye is my first priority. If you decide to move to the US, be prepared - similar situation may happen to you.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the post -- I lived in the US for 10 years, so I'm pretty familiar with the perils of being uninsured, or having insurance that doesn't cover some vital service. Here in the UK, the NHS does a pretty fantastic job of ensuring nobody has to go bankrupt (or even get their wallet out) when they visit a hospital. Your eye thing sounds very nasty: I hope it works out.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:22 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
When MODA was ODS I used them for many years via jobs. Never had any issues what so ever.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Kaiser operates a health care system. It isn't cheap but if you have children they can't be beat. Many an evening I took them to urgent care because I learned of an issue after I came home from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: