Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:03 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,500,367 times

Advertisements

think-traffics-bad-now-it-will-get-worse

Quote:
Now, rush hours for both the I-5 and the Interstate 205 bridges begin at about 5:30 a.m. and continue to 9 a.m. every workday, with the afternoon rush starting at 2:30 p.m. and continuing until 7 p.m.
“We’re likely going to see those hours extended as (road) capacity remains full for longer periods,”
commuters, including an estimated 65,000 who live in Clark County but hold jobs in the Portland area, will adjust their commute times either earlier or later to avoid the worst traffic snarls.
annual population growth in the seven-county Portland-Southwest Washington metro area of 1 percent to 1.5 percent during the next 15 to 17 years. That growth will add an estimated 600,000 to 650,000 more residents to the region’s total population of 2.29 million by 2030. That growth also will translate into more commuters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:54 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,754 times
We have a number of employees at my North Portland company that live in Washington. I would much rather have my commute from the Damascus area than any "short hop" they might make across the river. The only times I've ever tried to cross the I-5 bridge during evening rush hours, it hasn't been pretty, and I get on at the very last entrance before crossing it (Delta Park).

I'm not a huge proponent of the CRC (nothing really to gain by it), but if that thing does go down (e.g. mechanical failure on the lift, again), it's going to be a nightmare for especially those commuters from WA.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:48 PM

57 posts, read 134,226 times
We need to expand mass transit to get these people off the road Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 12-21-2013, 01:11 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gog8rs View Post
The Onion - America's Finest News Source
"The Onion is a satirical weekly publication published 52 times a year on Thursdays. "

Frequently Asked Questions - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 12-21-2013, 01:29 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gog8rs View Post
Your basic problem is, those people live in Vancouver. And they don't want to pay to support transit. So ... they can sit in traffic all day, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:47 PM

This article from the Oregonian sums up the situation well.

A joint project was planned for the I-5 bridge spanning Oregon and Washington.

Washington decides it really doesn't want to pay for it, and pulls any funding. Oregon decides to continue, tacking on a toll.

Washington decides it really doesn't want to have to pay any tolls, either.

What's next. Are Washingtonians going to want Oregonians to cross over the river and tuck them into their beds at night?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 PM

478 posts, read 882,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Your basic problem is, those people live in Vancouver. And they don't want to pay to support transit. So ... they can sit in traffic all day, as far as I'm concerned.
Yep. There's a letter to the editor in the Oregonian today (Letters: Columbia River Crossing | OregonLive.com) that pretty much sums up that attitude- "I feel that the city of Portland in general, and Gov. John Kitzhaber specifically, are trying to shove light rail down our throats. To put it bluntly, we do not want it. The bridge by itself should be more than enough to satisfy our growing traffic needs...The second objection is tolling....We here in Clark County would rather see the I-205 bridge burned to the ground than accept any kind of toll on it. "

Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
Quote:
Yep. There's a letter to the editor in the Oregonian today (Letters: Columbia River Crossing | OregonLive.com) that pretty much sums up that attitude- "I feel that the city of Portland in general, and Gov. John Kitzhaber specifically, are trying to shove light rail down our throats. To put it bluntly, we do not want it. The bridge by itself should be more than enough to satisfy our growing traffic needs...The second objection is tolling....We here in Clark County would rather see the I-205 bridge burned to the ground than accept any kind of toll on it. "
Sure. A lot of Portlanders (and quite a few Washingtonians) will not give a hoot that the Vancouverites linger in traffic forever.
However, there is more to it.
Question:
What does the "I" in I-5 stand for...?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:04 PM

Well, it definitely doesn't stand for "make Oregon pay for it."

Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Well, it definitely doesn't stand for "make Oregon pay for it."
How about "The Americans, no matter what their state, color or creed, will pay for it, so the country grows stronger and richer thanks to the free exchange of goods an services"

?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland