Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 08:38 PM

11 posts, read 18,629 times

Advertisements

Hi we are moving to portland soon. My husbands work is in Longview , Wa and I am in IT so my chances of getting a job is in Portland downtown or beaverton. Our main priority is best public schools as both my kids are gifted. Also I would like to have less commute atleast for one of us. We will be renting the house for now.
What is the best place to live in above circumstances... One option I have read so far is Vancouver, WA . How are the schools there? Also Is it safe place to live as I heard a lot of meth problems..
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:57 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
You're really stuck between a bad choice and a worse choice. Maybe once you're here your husband can find a job closer to Portland. What does he do? If there are any IT jobs in Longview (Monster.com shows zero,) they're likely going to be on the low wage side of the scale.

Vancouver is going to be about an hour commute for both of you. Between Portland and Vancouver is one of the worse commutes in an area of bad commutes.

Your other option is St. Helens or Scappoose. Downsides are that you're a ways away from anything. Schools are measurably worse. Things are a bit more Red-neck. More drugs in schools (typical small town problem) and people are up in your business all the time. Plus, you're still looking at about an hour commute for both of you after adding in rush hour traffic.

At least your taxes won't be so bad.

Does your husband make enough money that you could home school the kids? You could live in Longview and plan to escape it as soon as you can.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:09 PM

478 posts, read 882,100 times
Depending on what you do in IT, you might be able to get a job in Longview, as there is a lot of industrial work there. The commute from Longview to anywhere near Portland would be hellish.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 PM

11 posts, read 18,629 times
Thanks for the prompt reply.. My husband is not in IT. His company is based in Long view. I am in IT and unfortunately there are no IT jobs in Long view as you pointed. It is my assumption that i will find job in beaverton/ portland as i have read that area has IT companys.
I am trying to somehow find an option which can fit for everyone. Looks like I may be out of luck

How is ridgefield, Wa that seems to be closer to Longview . How are schools there and also commute for me?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2014, 01:50 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Why do you have two threads going on this? The answers will be the same. Live in Portland on the north side and his commute will be a breeze. You can figure out the surface streets and save an hour to anywhere.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,624 times
Default Please Help.

Could you help me to find a job. I'm Industrial Engineer especially in Quality. I'm interested in finding a company where i can realize my professional practices, I would be very grateful that could help me. I'm competitive person with big goals. I just want a better future for my wife, son and me. Thank you!

Old 03-08-2014, 03:42 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
You write as if English is not your native language. My suggestion is that you consult with a resume preparer to present your skills and experience in a professional way.

Many jobs are posted on Craigslist.org, others on national job boards, and if you are a member of a professional society on their website.

Best of luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland