Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times

Advertisements

I looked on Craigslist and didn't find anything like what Ms_Christina described.

There is a 3 bedroom apartment advertised in the poster's price range, close-in SW, the Portland Towers Apartments. It is a decent building in a highly regarded school enrollment area. 4 kids in an apartment building wouldn't be my first choice but that's what's online at the moment.

This is close to what the OP is looking for: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/4382362675.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 12:34 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
I'm not seeing much either. North is seeing rents rise pretty quick. Ours jumped about 10% each of the last two years. If they're not at 2k yet, they probably will be by summer at this rate.

You can find a 3BR in Portsmouth around 1500-1600 (Must see to believe! Authenic modern layout w/ Fireplace & garage). And Portsmouth will probably be the last zone in north to fully gentrify, so you're going to see the lowest prices there. Even St. Johns is going to tend to run above that, especially if you want to be south of Fessenden (which for the most part, you probably do).

In any case, depending on where he's working in 'north' you can get east/west fairly well on Lombard/Columbia/Marine. Which is best will depend on precisely where you're going to/from. There's a lot of 3BR stock in Vancouver, but with the Interstate bridge as it is it's nigh unreachable during rush hour. Which is probably why there's available stock across the border.

There are some condos in University Park that are pretty nice just under 2k/month, but I don't see any advertised right now. In fact, it's pretty shocking how little seems to be out there at all in north right now for 3/4BR. As we move towards May that should pick up, since you see school year leases ending, but I can't explain why the region seems bone dry at the moment. There are certainly some houses on the sale market and some probably held off the market entirely or in the process of being flipped, but...

Old 03-20-2014, 04:22 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
There are quite a few listings on PadMapper in that area (and even more when you expand the area) --- just put in the top rent and minimum number of bedrooms.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:47 PM

15 posts, read 18,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I looked on Craigslist and didn't find anything like what Ms_Christina described.

There is a 3 bedroom apartment advertised in the poster's price range, close-in SW, the Portland Towers Apartments. It is a decent building in a highly regarded school enrollment area. 4 kids in an apartment building wouldn't be my first choice but that's what's online at the moment.

This is close to what the OP is looking for: Beautiful Home in Irvington Neighborhood

Thanks Nell, I will definitely look into this posting more.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknoo View Post
Where you are going to work is critical. We have great public transportation but we haven't built any new roads in a few decades. We have traffic problems. You will want to try to live and work on the same side of the river and preferably in the same quadrant of Portland.
We have a new bridge going across the Willamette River for public transit and emergency vehicles only. The Max (thats the name of our train) may well become the fastest way to get in and out of the city during rush hours.

Anyway, the important thing is where is your work located.
I am an HVAC Technician, hence my work will be more-so located throughout N NE Portland.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would say try padmapper, put in what it is that you want and see where rentals pop up, then you could ask about more specific areas. If you work in North Portland, somewhere in North or Northeast would probably be good.
Thanks for recommending padmapper, it's an awesome site. I am still browsing through places that I am finding available and also sending out emails.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Just a quick look on Trulia and I found several houses in the NW and North for around $1500/month with 3 bedrooms and 2.5 bedrooms
Thanks for this recommendation, as I told the previous poster, I am also browsing this website and sending out emails.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
You can find a 3BR in Portsmouth around 1500-1600 (Must see to believe! Authenic modern layout w/ Fireplace & garage). And Portsmouth will probably be the last zone in north to fully gentrify, so you're going to see the lowest prices there. Even St. Johns is going to tend to run above that, especially if you want to be south of Fessenden (which for the most part, you probably do).

In any case, depending on where he's working in 'north' you can get east/west fairly well on Lombard/Columbia/Marine. Which is best will depend on precisely where you're going to/from. There's a lot of 3BR stock in Vancouver, but with the Interstate bridge as it is it's nigh unreachable during rush hour. Which is probably why there's available stock across the border.

There are some condos in University Park that are pretty nice just under 2k/month, but I don't see any advertised right now. In fact, it's pretty shocking how little seems to be out there at all in north right now for 3/4BR. As we move towards May that should pick up, since you see school year leases ending, but I can't explain why the region seems bone dry at the moment. There are certainly some houses on the sale market and some probably held off the market entirely or in the process of being flipped, but...
I am wondering if I may have more luck waiting until we arrive, then look throughout some neighborhoods and take it from there.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:45 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nregnier View Post
I am wondering if I may have more luck waiting until we arrive, then look throughout some neighborhoods and take it from there.
Best Idea in the whole thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: