Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:06 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,181,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunglean View Post
How did you arrive at the conclusion that I have two cars?

I only have A car, two road bikes, and 5+ years of experience with buses, rails, trains.

Thank you very much, I am already in Portland with few job interviews tomorrow.

This thread is useless now
Best of luck with the interviews. Hope Portland treats you nicely!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,394,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Maybe because there are multiple I want to move without a job and barely enough money to pay to get an apartment threads going on right now. I confused you with someone else who has two cars - easy enough to do.

If you can't afford the insurance on your car, sell it.
Far too many, and the failed dreams can be found hanging out in Old Town, Downtown, the Parks, and around the Food Carts.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:22 PM

666 posts, read 1,848,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I've got over 5,000 posts and less than 100 mention cars at all. Maybe 50 are of an anti-car nature. I'm sorry if that offends you but it is a message that needs to be sent occasionally.
I'm sorry, no it doesn't. Not here. Especially not the way you often choose to do it.

I suspect the major issue is in the delivery of your messages. Ever hear the adage "You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar?"

I get that you are passionate about your causes and respect that aspect of it. If you can't resist the need to send your message, try replying with a simple non-confrontational, non-scolding, non-preachy response. How about something like the following for this particular thread:

Quote:
If money is tight, you might be able to get by without a car. Portland has great public transportation and for the times you want to get out of town or run errands, there are many car sharing services available. Many people get by this way and are able to save a lot of money.
If I was in the OPs position and read that, I'd give it some serious thought (in fact, I DO think the OP should give that serious thought). Instead they get stories about how having a car ruined peoples' lives or that they are killing the planet. It immediately puts people in defensive positions.

FYI - I still read this forum every now and then, but have stopped posting for the most part because I found myself getting too frustrated. If I judged Portland solely based on this forum, I'd think it was made up of a disproportionate amount of militant liberals, closed minded-conservatives, or miserable curmudgeons.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:25 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,394,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
... ... If I judged Portland solely based on this forum, I'd think it was made up of a disproportionate amount of militant liberals, closed minded-conservatives, or miserable curmudgeons.
Actually except for the Curmudgeons, you will find very few of these in Portland, but they are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland