Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,199 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm an international and my Husband and I live in Hillsboro.I completed my undergrad degree in Business as well as one year of Law from India.In addition to the above, I was an Indian Chartered Accountancy Final student (similar to a CPA here).Now its been around 6 months since I'm in the US and I'm en route to begin studying for a rewarding career.Now, I've already signed up for CFA level 1 this December and preparing to acquire credits for the CPA exam as well(Why both?-If one fails, then the other should work-A back up plan.).Although I'm interested in Finance, I'd be pursuing CPA as well because 2 out of 4 subjects in the CPA exam are similar to the Indian CA exam.So I'm presuming it'd be slightly easy on me.
Now,I'm also keen on doing a MS in financial Analysis from Portland state University.Its a one year integrated course on Finance and the curriculum is to die for.So my question is-Do I really require a Masters if I'm pursuing a CFA or a CPA?My only intentions are to get a job and earn a decent salary.Do employers hire candidates who just have a CPA or a CFA? or is having a Masters an essential pre requisite?Will investing in my Masters be rewarding?
I would appreciate if anyone from the Finance Industry or the Accounting industry, who knows anything about the above replies to this post.Please note that I live in Oregon and do not plan to move any where else.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 03:00 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,623,659 times
You'd probably have better luck posting either in the 'Colleges and univ.' or 'Economics' forums.

Sitting for the CPA does require a certain number of credits beyond the bachelor's degree (around 50 quarter credits if I recall), but doesn't specify whether those are earned at the graduate or undergrad level. If you still needed those credits, a Masters might have better value than random undergrad credits.

I'd wager the accounting faculty at PSU (I know more about the accounting program at the UO, not much about PSU) could give you more insight into how your foreign credentials transfer - or at least point you to the right resources to suss it out yourself.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 2,199 times
Thanks for your prompt reply

I had my foreign credentials evaluated and I am short of a few credits for the CPA exam eligibility.So I shall be taking online classes if I know that having a Masters degree isn't too useful while job hunting i.e.If i know only CPA or CFA is sufficient.I don't need information on the program as I already have it.What I want to know is the aftermath-Will Having a Masters put me in a better position for a job consideration?Or is not much of a value addition on my resume?

I took your advice and put it on the other forum

Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
A CPA credential is much more valuable (and ultimately flexible), MBAs are a dime a dozen.

I am not aware that there is a significant demand for CFAs in Portland Metro.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 PM

418 posts, read 728,563 times
I completed the post-bacc in accounting at PSU. Most people do it in order to qualify for the CPA exam. After studying a few months, I decided against the test, as I wasn't ready for it and my job in govt doesn't require a CPA.

I know a number of CPAs and at least two people who completed the Masters in Financial Analysis at PSU (which I agree has a really interesting curriculum).

While everyone did fine in getting a job, I would say the CPA is more valuable than the masters, especially if you're only going to do one of them. Everyone knows what a CPA requires, while the MS is less clear. MBAs also seem to do well in finance here, but it's much pricier to get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: