Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Your thermometer must have been wrong if you're talking about today...high was 89 today.
Funny, the internet and my weather app agreed with me. But then again, according to you everything that I do and live is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 12:38 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Funny, the internet and my weather app agreed with me. But then again, according to you everything that I do and live is wrong.
Ok, that came out of left field--what's got your pants all bunched up? I was looking at the high of the day on about four weather stations. It wasn't 97 in the shade, or in the sun. Just checked again, it wasn't 97. I made a comment, you took it personally. Really curious what weather app you used though.

Last edited by oldtintype; 07-18-2014 at 01:26 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 01:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Ok, that came out of left field--what's got your pants all bunched up? I was looking at the high of the day on about four weather stations. It wasn't 97 in the shade, or in the sun. Just checked again, it wasn't 97. I made a comment, you took it personally. Really curious what weather app you used though. It was about 10 degrees off!
The high for 7/16 was 91 degrees, so it is believable that it could have been 97 where she was.

Portland Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for OR 97209

Old 07-18-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The high for 7/16 was 91 degrees, so it is believable that it could have been 97 where she was.

Portland Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for OR 97209
She said 97 in the shade. Weather reports stated highs 89/91 depending on location. I was just surprised that she was claiming it was 97 in the shade. Didn't realize it would turn into a fiasco or supposed attack but since this has turned cranky and nit picky I'll state that even if it was 91, it wouldn't be 97 in the shade it would be even lower (as in not 97).

LOL my original comment wasn't meant to be snarky at all. I was actually trying to question if she was talking about yesterday or another day but, oh well.

Last edited by oldtintype; 07-18-2014 at 01:35 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 08:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
She said 97 in the shade. Weather reports stated highs 89/91 depending on location. I was just surprised that she was claiming it was 97 in the shade. Didn't realize it would turn into a fiasco or supposed attack but since this has turned cranky and nit picky I'll state that even if it was 91, it wouldn't be 97 in the shade it would be even lower (as in not 97).

LOL my original comment wasn't meant to be snarky at all. I was actually trying to question if she was talking about yesterday or another day but, oh well.
Seeing that we don't know where she lives specifically, it could have been a little bit warmer. 5-6 degrees difference is possible.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:38 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,107,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
....The below though, is spot-on:

That is indeed, the WORST part of Portland climate.
I'll take our winter cloudy and drizzly 45 degrees over sunny+foot of snow+15 below anytime. However, when it's still 55 and raining on say, 20th of June, that will drive me (and many other people I know) crazy.

PNW is all about trees! They provide countless benefits, including moderation of both summer and winter (wind protection) temperatures. My house is surrounded by tall trees, and during the recent mini "heat wave" the temperature inside never went above 75 degrees with no AC.
Sunny plus 3-4 feet of snow plus subzero temps describes Alaska in the winter and rainy with temps in the 50s describes spring and a good chunk of summer in Alaska too.

I would take winter in the Portland area over winter in south-central Alaska anytime.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Seeing that we don't know where she lives specifically, it could have been a little bit warmer. 5-6 degrees difference is possible.
Pretty much the truth. Right now, my thermometer says 75. 1 app says 74, two say 76, and two say 77 (and I confirmed the same on the internet websites).

I could only find one place that showed me historical weather data for specific places (accuweather by city name). My general area was a high of 94 on the 16th. My car said 102 when I got home, it's usually off by about 5 degrees (that was in the sun).

As for my pants in a bunch, they're not really. But for the sake of answering why, usually I say my personal experience and you tell me I'm wrong because your experiences don't match up. Therefore, same with the weather. I'm wrong because the temps you looked at were 89/90. Funny, how come the ones I looked at were 94? And that's for an entire city, because y'know, there are no variations within a city.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:53 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,301,353 times
Quote:
Pretty much the truth. Right now, my thermometer says 75. 1 app says 74, two say 76, and two say 77 (and I confirmed the same on the internet websites).

I could only find one place that showed me historical weather data for specific places (accuweather by city name). My general area was a high of 94 on the 16th. My car said 102 when I got home, it's usually off by about 5 degrees (that was in the sun).

As for my pants in a bunch, they're not really. But for the sake of answering why, usually I say my personal experience and you tell me I'm wrong because your experiences don't match up. Therefore, same with the weather. I'm wrong because the temps you looked at were 89/90. Funny, how come the ones I looked at were 94? And that's for an entire city, because y'know, there are no variations within a city.
We must be neighbors as I had 95.5 on my weather station (in the shade) on 7/16. 73.9 now. (8:53)

Old 07-20-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:

Never said you were wrong, I questioned your thermometer.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:09 PM

10 posts, read 11,505 times
Some of you people complaining about 85 being too hot and uncomfortable are NUTS!! Come live in HELL for awhile and you'll PAY for 85 degree days in the summer. Dallas, Texas is 90's plus for four months with a month of 100 degree temps in there, every year for the past several. I blame it on climate change cuz it used to only do this every 18-20 years, now it's all the time. It's HELL and the humidity is paralyzing. We get cold for about two months and it's glorious 30's and 40's. Colder than that, I don't care, it's still not effing HOT as Hell. I'll take several grey days over the heat that kills grass, flowers, etc., unless you can water every day (before 9:00 or you'll faint) OH but there's also water restrictions because it rarely rains in the summer. And when it does, it's the Monster Thunderstorms that come down from the Jetstream with drops in barometric pressure that incapacitate me. As a fibromyalgia patient, the heat, humidity and low b.p. are killers. The monster thunder storms also bring golf-ball sized hail in summer, lighting crashes that knock down 100-yr old trees, and kill people standing outside, and thunder cracking so loud you wonder if the world is coming to an end. I can't wait to get out of here and take those beautiful lovely light rainy days and grey skies. The sun is great once in a while as long as it's not burning a hole in your yard. Not to mention losing the $400 electric bill that only keeps the 1800sf double-paned windowed house at 80 degrees when the thermostat is set at 67 because of the "20 degree rule". It's rarely cool inside during July, August and most of September. We couldn't live without our SEVEN ceiling fans. We get maybe 20 "nice days" a year, 70's breezy, comfortable. But our idiot governor keeps putting corporations in his pocket to get them to move here so more people, more traffic, more congestion, more apartments and houses in tighter quarters. Saying goodbye to Dallas and moving to Portland in about 18-24 mos if I'm lucky. Advice? Do NOT move to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland