Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 829 times

Advertisements

Hey folk!

I’m Tom and moved over from Germany to Portland in January. The plan was focussing on studying here but I really miss wakeboarding. So I just ordered a couple of days ago a new wakeboard and now I’m looking forward to socialize with new people.

Unfortunately I'm not able to buy my own boat, but I'm able to spend gas money!
Also I have to admit that I only got cable park experience, but I'm able to learn.

Looking forward to some answers...

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Wake boarding, I know nothing about, but I do know that people catch rides on fishing boats by paying for gas and beer and providing their own equipment.

I suggest that you get your boat operator's license and then find whatever internet forum the wake boarders use. Get yourself established on the forum and then start asking about sharing rides. Have lots to offer in exchange. Gas money, parking fee money, experience, maybe offer to give lessons if you are good enough.

Be patient and you might find some boat owners who can't go out as much as they wish because their regular driver isn't available full time. If you are qualified and easy to get along with, you should be able to find a few people who will share.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I think that when a boat is pulling a wakeboard there must be two people in the boat (one to drive, the other to watch the wakeboarder). Follow up on Oregonwoodsmoke's suggestion.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
There aren't any cable parks like there are in Germany

There are some guys outside of PDX who do wake skating with winches and bungees. I am not sure how to get involved with this but it looks pretty cool.

I think close in river users have mostly banned wake boarding proper due to the wakes.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:11 PM

219 posts, read 313,570 times
I've spent one solitary weekend in Portland this past Memorial Day and while walking along the river downtown at the Saturday Market, saw an older yellow Tige with a boom and boards and three people in wetsuits, and another something with a boom but that just had just the captain aboard. So it would appear that somebody is wakeboarding on the Willamette.

Also drove around Lake Oswego while hunting for a neighborhood for relocation and found that the lake looked very small and appeared as though it would be extremely busy in the summer.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
"not tow a water skier or any floating device with PWC unless another person on the PWC continuously observes person being towed; and PWC is large enough to carry operator, observer, and person being towed; "

Just because there is a law doesn't mean that boaters comply: Law Enforcement Program and Statewide Laws Oregon Boating Regulations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: