Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:17 PM

206 posts, read 260,000 times

Advertisements

The homeless have bothered me. One tried to kill my wife with a saw, because I did give him change.This man needed more than spare change.
In other news: NOT EVERYONE WHO APPEARS HOMELESS ACTUALLY IS. In a town where one can make a living begging, many people do exactly that. A man in my neighborhood stands outside the convenience store and literally cries because he is "so hungry." When the marks are gone, he eats his hot dog and pulls out his wad of cash to pay for his 40oz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:30 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I'm female with kids and have never been bothered. The Pearl's a big place too I think the area you're referring to is closest to Burnside where you're likely to get more street kids since it borders downtown, but even so, I've never had anyone say anything to me when I say, no, sorry and move on.

With that said, the police have hit the area under 405 hard where there has been a lot of more thuggy homeless people hanging out. This is the crew I believe you're talking about--not the down and out and/or mentally ill crowd but the young criminal element--as evidenced by the giant pile of bike parts and frames they have near their camp, and dealing drugs and breaking into cars at night. I have TONS Of compassion for homeless people but I have zero for this group as they ride around on BMX bikes with giant back packs and look into car windows at night then smash them if they see anything of merit inside. I caught them in the act not long ago. These guys are bad bad news and should be run out. Police have been all over it the last few weeks.

But for the people who have mental health issues and truly are struggling, again, I have tons of compassion for them and hope they find services.
Good points and helpful information. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2014, 03:53 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
And no one ever bothers me or says anything to me in those same areas. Wonder what the difference is?! I just say sorry and move on. No one has ever said anything to me after that (and I've got the kids with me too).

I think saying they threaten people all the time in the Pearl is a stretch...I'm not doubting your experience, just wondering why some people are bothered/harassed more than others!
I think some people just have a more friendly, approachable demeanor than others. I have a friend like this, she's very bubbly and outgoing, and she gets approached fairly often by, er, strange characters. I, on the other hand, am more of an introvert - I like to joke that I walk around with a big neon "don't **** with me" sign on my forehead. And people tend to leave me alone for the most part LOL.

If I had to break it down, I'd say my friend is usually smiling and makes eye contact, while I'm usually wearing a serious expression and avoid eye contact with strangers for the most part.

Edited to add: Oh, and we are both females with no children.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:25 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Get a job, sha na na na, sha na na na na
Yup yip yip yip yip yip yip yip
Mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm
Get a job
Sha na na na, sha na na na na

When I see them mooching
I want to kick their ***

And my girl never fails to say,
Why don't they go get a freaking job?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 AM

846 posts, read 609,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Get a job, sha na na na, sha na na na na
Yup yip yip yip yip yip yip yip
Mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm
Get a job
Sha na na na, sha na na na na

When I see them mooching
I want to kick their ***

And my girl never fails to say,
Why don't they go get a freaking job?

sounds like someone is celebrating Oregon's pot law

Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times
They're somewhat worse in Portland than other cities, but not as bad as Seattle or San Francisco. I've never gotten into a serious altercation with one. The worst I ever experienced was a homeless guy in Chicago who kept harassing me even after I gave him a dollar - he thought I looked rich enough to give him more.

I've gotten off at that bus stop after the Burnside bridge multiple times while carrying my laptop bag and no homeless person harassed me. There are large numbers of them around there and the area kind of smells.

That said, I think they are a nuisance in any city.

I would gladly pay more taxes if they'd use the money to build mental institutions or rehab centers for these people.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:25 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

I would gladly pay more taxes if they'd use the money to build mental institutions or rehab centers for these people.
Wouldn't it be cheaper for the PDX taxpayer to buy one way bus tickets to San Francisco? Put these guys on the bus and make it known that is what will happen if you come here and make trouble. Hell just charter the busses and get it over with.

Seems to me to be a quicker, cost effective and probably with better results.

I recall living in midwest when Chicago police would put these guys on the Metra train out to the suburbs.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
The city of San Fransisco sued the state of Nevada for that, so it's probable that it wouldn't be a cost-effective option.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:56 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
A pretty typical american response - pass the buck onto someone else. And they say portland isn't representative of 'real america.'

Old 11-10-2014, 09:16 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Whoever said it was has their head up their you know what!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland