Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,206 times

Advertisements

I've been living here for the past several years, close to downtown, don't have a car because I can walk everywhere I need, and virtually everyone I pass who is walking or standing on any street is smoking. Any time of day or night, in any weather. By now holding my breath while passing anyone has become automatic. Disgusting spitters on the ground are very common too. Many don't seem to be of the homeless population, so it's not that. I can't get over the contrast of gorgeous nature, pretty quaint buildings, interesting things to do and explore, and low quality of people, at least pedestrians.

It's not snobbery on my part, I wouldn't judge what someone looks like, how rich or poor they appear, how they dress, couldn't care less about any of that, but no consideration and respect for others, forcing passers by to breathe their stench, is what makes someone low quality to me. I like living and walking downtown, but people who can't keep their nasty habits that affect others to themselves are driving me out. Walking in this city is depressing, downtown reeks of urine, unwashed bodies and clothes, and tobacco. Not enough there are car fumes and chemtrails, smokers have to pollute whatever there is left of clean air further.

So question is, is there a place, a city/town in another state maybe, if not in this one, with all the good that this state/town has, like great nature and climate (climate is great to me, I actually like gloomy rainy season), relatively affordable, convenient and walkable, without such huge smoking population? I've lived on the east coast before, this wasn't the case there, just don't want to move back. Thanks.

If no one has any suggestions let this be a warning to others considering moving here at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 01:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Being downtown you are where most people congregate, but if you move out to other neighborhoods in the city, you won't notice that many people smoking.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:36 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Portland ranks among the 10 lowest as a % of smokers at 86.5% non smokers. 10 Smokiest U.S. Cities—and 10 Most Smoke-Free, Too - US News

I haven't seen smoking or spitting except by derelicts and rarely even them.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by delta07; 09-03-2014 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Removed troll reference as it violates TOS. I will watch this thread, but seems okay right now.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Portland ranks among the 10 lowest as a % of smokers at 86.5% non smokers. 10 Smokiest U.S. Cities—and 10 Most Smoke-Free, Too - US News

I haven't seen smoking or spitting except by derelicts and rarely even them.

Moderator cut: snip
Good to see Portland is in the top 10 lowest. Though I thought it was interesting that Greensboro, NC was 4th worst, yet Durham, NC is one of the 10 lowest. I wouldn't have imagined any North Carolina city making the most smoke free list.

Last edited by delta07; 09-03-2014 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: removed deleted portion quoted

Old 09-03-2014, 02:41 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,008 times
Smokers often don't realized how bad the stench is and how far the smoke can travel. When I was a smoker I tried to be mindful of the people around me. I quit smoking a few years ago, I now when I walk past smokers I can't belive I smelled like that.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:44 PM

478 posts, read 881,672 times
I actually think the first poster has a point. Though fewer people may smoke here, there seem to be many who feel "entitled" to puff away wherever they wish. I am very, very allergic to smoke, and I actually have to plan out my walks downtown to avoid the areas where smokers congregate.

Also not that the posted article is 6 years old and may not reflect current conditions.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:46 PM

478 posts, read 881,672 times
Oh, and my pet peeve- smokers who bring their smoking clothing, like heavy coats, indoors in the winter into movie theaters, restaurants, etc. I've lost track of how many times I've been made physically ill and had to move.

Please, if you do smoke, at least realize these things REEK and leave them in your car...

Old 09-03-2014, 02:49 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,885 times
Moderator cut: snip Certainly is the case that downtown Portland has a fairly high show of smokers than what you tend to find elsewhere in the city.

So it's quite possible for the overall smoking rate to be low, and yet to experience a lot of second-hand smoke in certain parts. When I was commuting for downtown I noticed the much higher prevalence of smoke.

Though realistically that could just be a function of density, particularly around PSU. If you have 25,000 students/staff/faculty (est.) packed on a relatively small campus and only 2,000 go outside to smoke, the rate of smokers can still be pretty low (8%), but that's cold comfort when walking through the hazy stench.

Last edited by delta07; 09-03-2014 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Against the TOS to call others a troll in a thread, removed.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:54 PM

418 posts, read 727,656 times
In some ways, the strict non-smoking indoors pretty much everywhere have made the situation worse. Because now all the smokers congregate on the sidewalks. I agree that you can't really walk near any businesses these days without walking the smoking gauntlet.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:59 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,559,522 times
But spitting?? That's the kind of thing snuff chewers do. Chewing tobacco is awful. I rarely see that in Portland.

The other group that does that are rural Chinese men (been there, seen that, it is a big issue for them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland