Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times

Advertisements

Traffic is bad on Portland area freeways. To deny that means you don't drive the freeways at busy times.

The length of time it takes to go 10 miles in Portland during rush hour is the same length of time it would take to go 30 miles in many other cities.

And based on this survey (How do Portlanders want to live? Planners' survey finds complex picture of housing preferences | OregonLive.com), more people that are coming to Portland want to live in the suburbs than urban neighborhoods. Those of us who live here now may grumble about what a bad idea it is to expand freeways (on one side) or how Trimet is a boondoggle and we shouldn't waste any more money on it (on the other side), but the fact of the matter is that something will need to be done.

Or we just leave it like it is. I guess I wonder what all of you think would happen if we just kept bumping along on our infrastructure as we are now while our population of (apparently) suburban-loving newcomers continues to grow?

Old 09-11-2014, 01:35 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
If back in the 1980's is what is meant by "pre recession times", that's a probably a true statement.

Quote:
Or we just leave it like it is. I guess I wonder what all of you think would happen if we just kept bumping along on our infrastructure while our population of (apparently) suburban-loving newcomers continues to grow?
That's exactly what has happened.

Other than MAX/Light Rail, no real improvements have been made for decades.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I used to live in NoPo and I would vehemently disagree with that.

MLK or Interstate are only useful to/from certain places, and frankly between the lights (particularly in 2 lane stretches where traffic backs up trying to turn left across the MAX line) and all the other cars trying to bypass I-5 even Interstate is slow going now. Sure, you might not be sitting in stop-go traffic on I-5 anymore, but it can still take 15 minutes to go 3 miles. [Greeley is a bit better]

Even where I live on the eastside now I'm often having to detour to get around backups on local roads for traffic trying to get on 205-north. There's no question the inefficiency of traffic bound for Vancouver has a significant impact south of the river.
I was just driving through that area and it wasn't that bad. I wasn't sitting through light cycles to get through intersections.

From my experiences with different metros, Portlanders tend to complain about the traffic because this is all they know.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Traffic is bad on Portland area freeways. To deny that means you don't drive the freeways at busy times.

The length of time it takes to go 10 miles in Portland during rush hour is the same length of time it would take to go 30 miles in many other cities.

And based on this survey (How do Portlanders want to live? Planners' survey finds complex picture of housing preferences | OregonLive.com), more people that are coming to Portland want to live in the suburbs than urban neighborhoods. Those of us who live here now may grumble about what a bad idea it is to expand freeways (on one side) or how Trimet is a boondoggle and we shouldn't waste any more money on it (on the other side), but the fact of the matter is that something will need to be done.

Or we just leave it like it is. I guess I wonder what all of you think would happen if we just kept bumping along on our infrastructure as we are now while our population of (apparently) suburban-loving newcomers continues to grow?
Then don't use the interstates if you don't want to sit in that traffic. Though your issue is less to do with Portland traffic and more to do with the suburbs around Portland. If suburbanites want more highways in their suburbs, they should push for that. Though the better idea would be to push for more rail and alternative transportation ideas.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:25 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then don't use the interstates if you don't want to sit in that traffic. Though your issue is less to do with Portland traffic and more to do with the suburbs around Portland. If suburbanites want more highways in their suburbs, they should push for that. Though the better idea would be to push for more rail and alternative transportation ideas.
You refuse to see Portland through anything but optimistically biased and rose colored goggles don't you?

Old 09-11-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post

This site claims that Portland is 13 for worst commutes. Do you have anything... anything at all to back up your claim? -- besides your personal observation and opinion?

Portland metro among nation's worst commutes
Your own article backs up my claim. Click on the interactive link and you will see only I-5 northbound ranks in the top 20 for bad traffic, every other traffic point in Portland doesn't even make the top 100.

If you don't want to sit in the worst traffic in the city, don't live on the Washington side of the metro. That traffic is Vancouver's problem, which they seem incapable of fixing and expect Oregon to do all the work for them.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
You refuse to see Portland through anything but optimistically biased and rose colored goggles don't you?
Ah yes, I don't see Portland as the liberal hell hole that you see it as. if you think Portland traffic is that bad, more back to Virginia, I am sure traffic there is much better.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:32 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Traffic in PDX is one aspect that absolutely sucks about the town. The amount of time it takes to go a very short distance is absurd. With that said...the political climate is difficult to navigate in regards to solving this problem as the left folks don't want expanded highways and the right folks don't want to pay significantly higher taxes to overhaul the freeway system.

Having lived in Seattle, Honolulu, the Bay Area, the Middle East and now Houston...PDX is pretty awful in this regard.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:19 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Quote:
Ah yes, I don't see Portland as the liberal hell hole that you see it as. if you think Portland traffic is that bad, more back to Virginia, I am sure traffic there is much better.
I think Portland is great, however living right by the Fremont bridge and seeing the traffic outside my window on 405 every day in BOTH directions I agree--it's terrible. And while I like to say stick it to Vancouver too and blame them for their own commute because they choose to live there, unfortunately that back up messes it up for just about everyone, even if you're not trying to get to Vancouver. And if 5 is particularly bad MLK, Interstate, Williams, etc. become bumper to bumper too.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:23 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Ah yes, I don't see Portland as the liberal hell hole that you see it as.
I've said nothing about it being a liberal hell hole

Quote:
if you think Portland traffic is that bad, more back to Virginia, I am sure traffic there is much better.
That's a great solution. Everyone who opines that Portland's traffic is bad should leave Portland. Love it or leave it is the dumbest response to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland