Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 12:15 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
For what?
well you claim it is disgusting to sell a product (gas) at a price you think is too high. I am wondering what your solution to this problem is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 01:31 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
well you claim it is disgusting to sell a product (gas) at a price you think is too high. I am wondering what your solution to this problem is.
Gotcha. I wasn't sure exactly which of my points you were talking about.

On one hand, I blame consumers for shopping there. No demand should push the price down.

On the other hand, the owner has a monopoly on those that aren't familiar w/the area and just stop as somewhere right off the interstate. There are other stations within a few minutes (including a Costco that is historically the very cheapest gas station in the entire metro area), but if you aren't from the area, you wouldn't know which way to go to get to another one. Therefore, I think this guy is preying on a somewhat captive audience, and I feel it's rather unethical.

Solution? I don't know - I'm a pointer-outer in this case & would have to leave a solution those that get paid to deal with this kind of thing (e.g. attorneys and legislators).

Old 01-21-2015, 07:13 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
My feeling is that $1.75-2.00 is a fair price to pay for gas with its cost of extraction, refinery, shipment, taxes, overhead, and profit. Anything less or more isn't fair, IMO. $4.00 is ridiculous.

Speaking of ridiculous, the 76 station at Sunnyside and I-205 is insane. Charging SIGNIFICANTLY more than the regional average at all times (currently $2.73 when the average is about $2.19). And the owners have been called out on it, but say "I can charge whatever I want" (or something similar). Disgusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
I find 76 stations to generally charge more than neighboring stations.

Around here Union 76 is normally less. $1.98 in Wolf Creek the other day. It's exit 76 off I-5.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 AM

780 posts, read 1,577,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Around here Union 76 is normally less. $1.98 in Wolf Creek the other day. It's exit 76 off I-5.
My understanding is that this franchisee owns a handful of stations in the metro, although this is easily the highest. Likely just the franchisee trying to take advantage of the situation to a much higher degree than most of us would.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:09 PM

418 posts, read 728,204 times
The guy at the Safeway gas station was excited for gas to get below $2, because then with the maximum club card discount, people could get 99c gas. I noticed that it happened last week.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:38 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
My understanding is that this franchisee owns a handful of stations in the metro, although this is easily the highest. Likely just the franchisee trying to take advantage of the situation to a much higher degree than most of us would.
Your probably right. Greedy.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:58 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Speaking of ridiculous, the 76 station at Sunnyside and I-205 is insane. Charging SIGNIFICANTLY more than the regional average at all times (currently $2.73 when the average is about $2.19). And the owners have been called out on it, but say "I can charge whatever I want" (or something similar). Disgusting.
After zee revolution, vee vill deal vid zees profit-seeking capitalist peeg gas station owners.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 PM

111 posts, read 171,656 times
Is a gas station's profit fixed regardless of gas price? It seems to me that if it is not, gas stations would be hurting big time in a situation like today's, no? I'm sure demand rises a bit when the price falls to this extent but it can't possibly be enough to offset the price drop, could it?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:44 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
I would guess most gas station have X cents/gallon that they factor in for profit. When gas is really expensive and they can't sell would be when they're hurting most.

Part of the profit depends on when they bought the gas. If it's a long term contract where they're stuck with $3/gallon gas and can no longer sell it at that, they're screwed.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:58 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
The Arco station near my work (Vancouver) was at $1.95 on Tuesday. Now it's at $1.91.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland